File angle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug01

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Is there a standard angle that 3/8 chain is sharpened at? I'm sure it is an Oregon chain. I don't have the box and thought it said 25 degree, but I swore the stihl dealer said they sharpen .325 at 30 degree and 3/8 at 35. Everything I have sharpened so far has been at 30 (all .325) and I need to sharpen my other chain.

Thanks,
Doug

For sanity's sake, I sharpen them all at 30 degrees. If they are using them for ripping I might do different, but I do not have
that come up.
However, I do tilt for full chisel chain, and have good results.

I didn't sharpen that chain yet, but it has the number 25 on the raker. At first I assumed (I know that isn't a good thing) that that may be the angle but it most likely is the distance the the raker should be from the top of the flat.

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to certain angles? Fish, you said you just file them all at 30.......makes sense, its in the middle. I was wanting to go either 25 or 35 just because my guide has those angles at the end.

Thanks,
Doug

Hi Doug, what is more important than the angle, is that it is razor sharp and that the gullet is cleaned out nice from the bottom of the sideplate to the back of the raker. Try also using only 20 thou. rakers, this significantly reduces bar, chain and sprocket wear, decreases cutting time, reduces grabbing and therefore kickback. It also reduces vibration. Madsens Saw shop carries the Oregon 20 thou. raker gauge, it is only 3$. The Carlton file-o- plate reduces to 20 thou. as well, at least the one I have does.
John

I posted a diagram in the past here with the help of friends that
was pretty good, I will see if I can scare it back up.

I hope I pasted this correctly. After performing a search of all of
the threads that I have posted on, I am spent! Wow, I didn't
realize I was such an ass.
Anyway, I do not think the top plate angle is as critical as is
the one that says 60 degrees. When hand filing,
that angle is determined by the file size, so size is important.

For every model of chain, the mfg. has a set top plate angle,
but with the models numbering in the dozens, I just do them
at 30 .

thers much to learn . i just picked up on the advantage of getting the gullet .
chain was cutting good ,but after i took
the edge back some in the gullet area .
it did seem to speed the best i can do up some.
i swear i think i mite have the fastest poulan pro 295 ,,,in the area. which aint to hard as most still got that 20 inch bar on.
as to angles, ill refer to some advice i got here,, that made sense and worked.
look at the original ,,everything, on the chain . then just keep it that way.. if u can. the original ,can be improved on
only if u do it on purpose ,and know what u doing.
then study the available info on the subject..

Thanks for the info. I'll get one of those raker gauges. I have the oregon gauge. I have another question that I feel I really shouldn't be asking. Does Stihl chain sharpen different? I have mostly used Husky chain on my current saw and have not had a problem with sharpening. I sharpened a Stihl chain for the first time and I didn't seem to be filing the full "tooth" of the cutter. The top plate was good but it was only filing the outside edge of the sideplate. I did this the same way I have done all my sharpening and have never had this problem. I could always see that the whole cutting area was getting filed. I use an Oregon file guide at 30 degrees. 30 is what he dealer told me the angle was on the Stihl chain. Now, when I did it freehand it looked a lot better....the whole cutting edge had metal removed, but I don't know if my angle is right. Maybe like John said...not so much to worry about angle, but that it is sharp and the gutter is clear.

Doug

I meant to say gullet...........gutter...gullet, you know what I meant.

Yes, Stihl chain is sharpened differently. And, No, Stihl chain is sharpened the same as Oregon and Carlton chains. The initial grind from the factory is somewhat different from each maker. When you put the file to them the first time they feel different. If you keep filing at the same (universally correct) angles they will all respond the same once you have removed the remnants of the factory grind.:)

file/stihl

Check your file size, some stihl chains call for a file of a different size, 1/32 to 1/2 mm larger file dia., don't ask why just try it. Then, of course you could read their tech stuff and see but that would be like reading the instruction manual and how many guys do that?

If you don't clean the gutters the rain goes over the side and tries to get in the foundation of the house. In other words they don't work right at removing the rain. Oops, wrong train of thought. It started to rain last night and it's still raining out there.

Gullets not cleaned push the cutter away from the wood just enough so the cutters don't bite the wood the way they should. If your back far enough on the cutter and you have a hump in the gullet (that needs to be removed), take a look at your raker hieght, it's past time to adjust it also. A pass or two with a flat file held at the proper angle will fix the rakers. The safety chain has a laser mark to keep you at the right angle and if you don't use the safety chain take a little off the top of the raker on your regular chain and try to keep the same contour or not.

Justin, I don't want no trouble! My job here is in trouble as it is.
How did you like my diagram anyway?Try to be a little constructive
here please, as we are, after all, professionals.
I see from searching your posts, you are a lay-religous type
fellow, we must palabra on the issues that matter sometime.
But I am a "Chainsaw" instigating type.
I cannot believe you called me an ass!

It is a fine, biblical word Fish. Dumb asses are everywhere but in the Old Testament, Balaam owned a smart ass. While I was willing to concede the correctness of your self analysis I refrain from judging what manner of equine you are.:p
You are a fine instigator. I often wonder if perhaps you are Russ' alter-ego? Happy grazing!

Russ is a chump that knows nothing of issues on the "higher"
plain. He just is a thug that beats up upon the newcomers
here on the forum. But in ontological discourses, he really
shows his ignorance of any serious religous thought.
But other than that, he is one cute hunk of beefsteak.

I guess you just use your round file? or a small flat file to clean out them gutters...uh...gullets? :rolleyes:

Doug

Latest posts

Back