Clutch "dinging"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KennyW in CT

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Only when Idling, sounds like a bell dinging. Goes away when throttled up and cuts pretty nice. Sounds like my neighbors old mini bike clutch actually. Is this sound indicative of a bad clutch? Customer claims he put on a new sprocket but kept the old clutch which I measured and it meets the clearance spec. for wear. Red Dolmar saw, looks like my DCS340 but the numbers are worn off. Thanks, Kenny

The sprocket that was installed is it a Dolmar orig. or aftermarket (Herr)? I have seen many aftermarket sprockets ring like you are describing. Check to see if the clutch springs are in good shape as well.

Scott

I'll take it apart tonight to find out, Will it have "HERR" stamped on it?

Is the dinging something to be worried about, or is it just worn springs causing slight intermittent contact at idle?

Thanks, Kenny

Slightly too fast idle, worn out/wrong drum bearings, or poor tolerances with an aftermarket drum are also possiblities. Really no big deal, since the bearings are spinning only while idling.

Most likely just a sloppy worn-out clutch... If was a Stihl - springs, shoes, spyder etc, then bad clutch drum bearings or worn bearing surface in the drum

The ringing is likely one shoe or spring out of wack with respect to the others. Tear it apart and look for witness marks.

Most likely just a sloppy worn-out clutch... If was a Stihl - springs, shoes, spyder etc, then bad clutch drum bearings or worn bearing surface in the drum

The ringing is likely one shoe or spring out of wack with respect to the others. Tear it apart and look for witness marks.

My 036 and my brother-in-laws 066 both sound like that. I thought it was just the nature of the beast. I guess I need to look into them. I know that the rim sprocket seems real loose to me on the hub, is this normal?

Don't have much to add, just support to what's been said already in that I've mostly just heard it with a slightly high idle. Tune it down where it's supposed to be and the sound goes away. If it's still there at the correct tached idle speed, then there's something wrong.

Latest posts

Back