Dolkita BB kit dissapointment..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roncoinc

Official Stihl Disser
Reaction score
After reading all the horror stories about the big block kit for the dolmar i went and ordered one anyway..
expecting to make a lot of use of my dremel tool to make it acceptable to use,i have found myself dissapointed !! :)
looks like all i can do is a little mild porting and "maybe" polish the intake a little..
as it is it looks like a bolt on and run as is ..
i am NOT dissapointed in the quality of the kit,i think it is pretty darned good !! i could find NOTHING to complain about,especially for the price. i found NO pits in the plating,a couple "lumps" in the ports i may smooth out but overall pretty darn good !!
It seems to me anybody waiting for the quality to be acceptable need wait no longer :)
sorry for poor quality pix but lighting setup failed on me :(
when they painted it some got on the inside on the compression area and is reflected in several places..

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

i am NOT dissapointed in the quality of the kit,i think it is pretty darned good !! i could find NOTHING to complain about,especially for the price. i found NO pits in the plating,a couple "lumps" in the ports i may smooth out but overall pretty darn good !!
It seems to me anybody waiting for the quality to be acceptable need wait no longer

Good advice!~ I bought a kit a few months ago and had the same experience -the kit was top notch.:cheers:

Yeah does look very nice Ron.

Shame they couldn't add to the skirt width a little on the kit pistons.

The kits can have slightly different timing to the OEM's so you could still have a little grinding if you wanted to.

:cheers:

Hey man,,any suggestions on where and what to grind are MORE than appreciated..
add to the skirt to widen the intake ??
is the "slightly diff timing" on the intake or exhaust ? or both ?
tnx al..

Good advice!~ I bought a kit a few months ago and had the same experience -the kit was top notch.:cheers:

Did you do any work on it at all ?? or use it as is ??
how did you like the way it runs ??
tnx..

yea that looks nice. glad they got the issues worked out. guess it's about time to make an order myself.

Did you do any work on it at all ?? or use it as is ??
how did you like the way it runs ??
tnx..

I remember reading a post from sneller saying there wasn't much that could be done with it. I believe he ran into the same issue you're having. My saw is actually a DCS6401 (Home Depot special) so I was happy just to get it to 84cc. The comp is at 145 now and the squish is .039 so I might run it gasketless as long as the squish is greater than .020.:)

Hey man,,any suggestions on where and what to grind are MORE than appreciated..
add to the skirt to widen the intake ??
is the "slightly diff timing" on the intake or exhaust ? or both ?
tnx al..

Dunno Ron.

Never seen a Dolkita in the flesh let alone a kit.

With the Husky kits the timing has been conservative compared to OEM, but I had OEM's to cross reference against even with a rule or verniers if not by wheel.

Maybe someone with an OEM cyl off can take measurements with a rule or verniers for ya.

The windows can be opened up some.

Ports in some of the kits are oval and can be opened in the corners to gain some area.

Unshroud those lowers mate.

The dark ring at the very top of the bore looks like missing plating and/or a gouge. It shouldn't cause a problem on this particular application, since the single ring piston has a generous top land, but I'd like to see the top-of-the-bore problems fixed on the Stihl kits.
attachment.php

Thanks for the report. I'll see if it'll let me rep you. :)

The dark ring at the very top of the bore looks like missing plating and/or a gouge. It shouldn't cause a problem on this particular application, since the single ring piston has a generous top land, but I'd like to see the top-of-the-bore problems fixed on the Stihl kits.

he black ring appears only in the pic,,my photog skill and lighting leave a lot to be desired..it is smooth and i cant feel anything..
the plating does stop short of the very top but well above ring travel..
overall pretty darn nice..

Brad,,tnx for the numbers,i imagine they will change if i lower the squish..
any "non binding" ,at my own risk,i wouldnt do it if it was me,,type of suggestions if i do lower the cyl to correct the port timings ??or what would be better numbers without getting carried away ?? of course for informational purposes only...
tnx..

Dunno Ron.

Never seen a Dolkita in the flesh let alone a kit.

With the Husky kits the timing has been conservative compared to OEM, but I had OEM's to cross reference against even with a rule or verniers if not by wheel.

Maybe someone with an OEM cyl off can take measurements with a rule or verniers for ya.

The windows can be opened up some.

Ports in some of the kits are oval and can be opened in the corners to gain some area.

Unshroud those lowers mate.

Unshroud lowers ? i must have been absent that day :( dont know what that means ..
tnx..

I'll send you one to have a crack on Al, seriously :D

Sorry mate, only just spotted this.

Ha ha, mate if you must, lol.

I spose I could get a couple of vids of it in some peppermint, that or wait for a GTG.

It would be nice to give one a run Matt.

If we do do the GTG thing, Spring would be a good time and give people including those from NA that would like to make the trip (our buck could be down around 75c by then :dizzy:), a chance to organize.

:arg: Sorry Ron.

Last edited:
Looks good Ron.

The lower transfer port ducts look just like the 7900's.

Are you going to go wide on the intake/exhaust ports?

Can you take a picture of the transfers?

Looks good Ron.

The lower transfer port ducts look just like the 7900's.

Are you going to go wide on the intake/exhaust ports?

Can you take a picture of the transfers?

Will try to get a couple more pix tomorrow..
the piston skirt dont look wide enough to do much on either in or out,maybe 20thou only on each side to work with,not leaving anything,will measure..
i havent seen one like this that dont seem to have a whole lot to work with..the piston skirt just dont seem wide enuf ! :(

Latest posts

Back