Just ordered new part for 044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FDB

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well after doing much reading on this site (which is great) I ordered #11281400801 for my 044. Question is what type of difference should I notice if any? I want to start learning seeing that I am supposedly picking up and 046 at the end of this upcoming week. Is there really that much difference between the 2 saws. Thanks for helping this newbie out.

It depend on what muffer you 044 had on it in the first place... If it has the BIG hole, less, but more if you had the newer muffler ( roughly 1998 onwards).

You will likely need to reset your carb.

yes, there is a decent difference between the 044 and the 046..

?

11281400801 - is that the part number for a dual port ?

May I ask what you were quoted for a price. Post it or PM me.
will be interested in the difference between U.S. and Canadian
costs. The price here sent me away.
Bob

I think I paid $28 or so for one last week. Some dealers mistakenly quote the $70 price for the whole muffler - DP cover and regular "box" portion.

OK, the small hole cover is 3/8" and the big hole cover is either 3/4" or 9/16", correct?

The 044 I just bought is a 1998 model, but I don't yet know if it's the small or large hole. If large, I'll leave well enough alone. If small, I'll pick up the dual port cover from the local dealer.

Thanks.

Saw arrived today. It has the small port. Is it better to replace with the dual port cover, or is it better to buy the older style can with the larger hole?

It is better to modify your existing muffler yourself and save the $30+ for other goodies down the road.

It is better to modify your existing muffler yourself and save the $30+ for other goodies down the road.

That's a good idea. I can pull the muffler, pull the screen out, and then enlarge the existing hole towards the rear of the deflector. Towards the rear allows the deflector to direct the gases directly forward of the saw, as opposed to letting them shoot directly to the side.

You can either open up the slot in the new dual port front another 3/32nd in or, as I do, open up the rear hole to just over 1/2 inch or so (pita - you need to use a grinder or dremel), and leave the new dual port front alone.

You can either open up the slot in the new dual port front another 3/32nd in or, as I do, open up the rear hole to just over 1/2 inch or so (pita - you need to use a grinder or dremel), and leave the new dual port front alone.

What about saving money by not buying the new cover, and just opening up the rear hole? How much would the saw gain over the standard 3/8" rear hole?

Latest posts

Back