Stilhl 044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burchie70

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I bought an older 044 that had a broken handle and ended up finding a handle off an 046 to put on it. It runs great but once it gets down to half a tank it quits and starts hard whether it’s cold or warm. Once it starts as long as you’re in the throttle it stays running. I looked in the tank and the pickup is in the bottom of the tank so it’s in the fuel. I don’t see a crack in the fuel line but I’m wondering if it could be a pinhole that I can’t see? Any ideas if I’m heading in the right direction? Also anyone know the part number for the fuel line for a 046 ? Thanks for any help IMG_3808.jpegIMG_3807.jpeg

Take the fuel line out and bend it in all directions, a hole or crack will work ok when its immersed under fuel but once the fuel level drops below the crack or pin hole air will enter the line and starve the engine. A vac tool makes this an easy check, clamp off the line near the tank filter and pull vac from the carb end.

Latest posts

Back