Used motor oil.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justsaws

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Went south this weekend and brought back some saws. All was going fine until the last one for the evening. Taking the bar and chain off for inspection and cleaning went smooth then empty the tanks, used oil in both. Used oil in the oil tank is expected but mixed with gas it is aggravating.:censored: Muffler off next, not great but usable.

I should send the fellow a note and let him know his engine oil has silver colored dust/flakes in it, he probably cannot see them.

I am glad that I did not try and crank the saw. Anyhow, that is my :censored: rant and I am going to bed now. It was a good haul all together with one lemon so far and most importantly the family was all good.

Must be Southern thing!

Yes, I'm from the deep South originally. My Dad was the worlds worst for using used motor oil for bar lube. I can prove that from his old Remingtons. Good grief I just posted on a dang OIL thread, stroke hurt me worse than I thought.

Last edited:
My father thought the best of used motor 'oil drippings' as he called them. Used it for lube on all kinds of stuff, and for chainsaw bar oil as well. Dumped most of it on his driveway. Said it was good for the road to do that. I avoid that old place of his in Gresham like the plague. God only knows what else he dumped in that yard, or what else he did with those tasty drippings. When he died we found a completely composted Caddy out in the back 40. Buried deep in weeds and Doug fir needles. I wanted his Homelite saws, but the evil step mother sold them all. Maybe just as well.

Oh, and he was not from the south. He was from Brooklyn, NY!

Back