Best Splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DUSTYCEDAR

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hi i am new to your site and wanted to know what is the best splitter/processor to make wood for my family's homes.
i had a log splitter in the past it was slow and i hated using it i want something faster.

The best splitter for you depends on your needs by this I mean the amount of wood, how fast ,and how much are you willing to pay.
Cylinder bore size determines tonnage.
Pump gpm, gallons per minute, determine speed.

A good combination at reasonable cost would be a 4" cylinder with a 16 gpm pump. This will give you about 19 tons of force at about a 9 second cycle time assuming a 24" stroke.

Here are a couple other combinations for comparison. The tonnage is actual at 3000 psi rather than advertized tonnage.
4" bore -19 tons x 11gpm pump =13 sec.
4.5" bore-24 tons x 11 gpm pump =16.2 sec.
5" bore-29.4 tons x 11gpm pump =20 sec.
4" bore -19 tons x 16 gpm pump =9 sec.
4.5" bore -24 tons x 16 gpm pump =11.2 sec.
5" bore -29.4 tons x 16 gpm pump =14.2 sec.

There are some high end splitters that offer 22 and 28 gpm pumps that greatly increase speed.
The pumps used on splitters are 2-stage, 95% manufactured by Haldex/Barnes although sold under many names and the other 5% are made by MTE.

Engine hp. is determined by what is required to operate the pump at it's rated capacity.
11 gpm 2-stage pump at 3000 psi requires 5.5 hp.
16 gpm 2-stage pump at 3000 psi requires 8 hp.
22 gpm 2-stage pump at 3000 psi requires 12 hp.
28 gpm 2-stage pump at 3000 psi requires 15 hp.
Higher hp. than required does not increase tonnage or speed.

THANKS FOR THE INFO i want to go electric if i can but there aren't many options.
i found the supper splitter that is electirct with a rack and pinion which is way fast and quiet.
i would like something bigger if i could find it so it would do a 4 or 6 way wedge.

THANKS FOR THE INFO i want to go electric if i can but there aren't many options.
i found the supper splitter that is electirct with a rack and pinion which is way fast and quiet.
i would like something bigger if i could find it so it would do a 4 or 6 way wedge.

Dusty, if you're going to split huge logs, then the 4-6 way wedge with hydraulics is fine. But if you're getting the 4-6 way wedge for speed reasons on logs that are 18" or less, don't bother... get the Super-Split and an electric motor. The SS is so quick that with a little practice you'd be splitting faster than a multi-way wedge. That in combo with the electric motor would be an ideal family wood supply setup. I've got 30+ cords of tanoak through my SS this year (gas motor) and I'm totally happy with it.

The best splitter for you depends on your needs by this I mean the amount of wood, how fast ,and how much are you willing to pay.

+1

Tell us these things and we can give you some suggestions.

If you are splitting 2 cords of gnarly elm per year, you need a different splitter than if you are splitting 10 cords of 12" pine per year.

If you are splitting 2 cords of gnarly elm per year, you need a different splitter than if you are splitting 10 cords of 12" pine per year.
I am curious how the SS does against curly Elm or just in wood that has twisted grain like is found around forked areas. Does you just keep pounding against it or do you need to stop and get a sledge hammer out to remove it from the wedge?

WELL i am splitting oak, beach, maple,ash,some popular i dont burn pine in the house if i can avoid it. i am getting rounds from the local tree guys that range from 12 inch to 3 ft accost most cut them to 18 inch for me some dont and if they slip in some bad stuff i just slice it up with the saw and burn little bits of it. beggars cant be to choosy:)

Back