Next project...041 Super

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TraditionalTool

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just found an 041 Super on craigslist, won't start but the seller doesn't think it is scored, just been sitting.

Any comments on these saws, if they are easy to work on, etc...???

I did a quick search, seems there are some favorable things to be said for it.

Same seller that got rid of an 038 Magnum last week which I missed.

I'll update with some pics when I get it tomorrow. Seller says the saw is in good shape, and has a 24" bar and fairly sharp chain on it. His crew used to use chainsaws but didn't use this much as he said thought it was heavy. He now has a tree service do the work when they need it done.

I'm paying $80 for it. Not sure if that is a gloat or not yet, but if it's in good shape I think it's ok.

BUY IT!! Its a good deal, if the piston and cylinder are salvagable. If not, a P&C for an 041 super are hard to find, and pricey when found. But it would part out for more than $80. Of all the 041 variations, these are by far the most sought after and the most powerful. I just cleaned my buddy's 041 super up for him a couple of weeks ago. Heavy, but man it had some grunt. Cool old saws.

BUY IT!! Its a good deal, if the piston and cylinder are salvagable. If not, a P&C for an 041 super are hard to find, and pricey when found. But it would part out for more than $80. Of all the 041 variations, these are by far the most sought after and the most powerful. I just cleaned my buddy's 041 super up for him a couple of weeks ago. Heavy, but man it had some grunt. Cool old saws.
Wiggs,

Funny, I hadn't thought about parting it out if the jug was toast, but that's a good point.

I'm meeting the guy today at 1:00pm, so I'll update after with some pics. At least pics will be a good place to start.
I have a regular 041av that I redid from the complete crank case up and it was pretty simple and straight forward. Great saw to you will be very happy with it when done
Seems a lot of folks like them, but I saw some negative comments in regards to being old and heavy, but having grunt.

I could always sell it if I don't like it, does seem to be a following for them.

Looks like the super has the 72cc jug on it.

I do see that parts are not easy to come by if it needs anything major...news at 11:00..., err, I mean news at 1:00...:cheers:

I had no problems finding parts for mine including all NOS parts and w/o breaking the bank. Fleabay is full of parts for them.

They are a little heavy but not to heavy that you don't wanna use it...kinda a happy medium. They do cut great and have the best sound...Lots of torque!!!
You enjoy that 72cc since the AV version i have is only 61cc but still unstoppable.

The only complaints I hear about the 041 is poor intake design. Just make sure you have good gaskets on your intake between the engine and carb. lots of places for an air leak there!

BTW We need pics and video!

No pics didn't happen...so let's do be happenin'...

Here's some pics, I guess it doesn't have a brake, but some type of flipper that doesn't appear to do anything...maybe missing the rod or it was taken off, or it just didn't have one I 'spose...

EDIT: serial number is 6564030

Has a decent 24" Rolomatic bar and chain is pretty sharp, surprisingly...I haven't tried to start it yet, will dump out the gas in there and oil as well. Fill it up fresh before I even try...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Pull the carb b4 you start it and look at the p/c thru the port. It will run with a scored piston if it isn't too bad but will do bad mojo to the cylinder which are harder to find than pistons.

Nice looking saw.

Pull the carb b4 you start it and look at the p/c thru the port. It will run with a scored piston if it isn't too bad but will do bad mojo to the cylinder which are harder to find than pistons.

Nice looking saw.
Didn't get that far yet, but it has 155-160 lbs. of compression on the cylinder. That doesn't seem bad, I just got a new spark plug, didn't seem it was getting spark.

Just put the plug in, it almost fired, some smoke came out but it wouldn't start. I may have flooded it.

Nice saw you got a good deal. Your floppy thing you speak of is just a hand guArd. No chain break on that saw
That kinda sucks, can one be added if found in the wild? I 'spose so...

EDIT: this saw reminds me of a Harley, I bet it's gonna sound like one also when it starts...

Last edited:

Yes you can just add the chain brake cover. I've got one that came on an early 041 I bought for parts.

Your right,they do have a great sound.

Last edited:
Make sure the carb or intake flange isn't loose,a bad point on 041s with the stack of gaskets involved.

EDIT: this saw reminds me of a Harley, I bet it's gonna sound like one also when it starts...

It sure will. 041's sound neat. They got that low tone rumble. I got one that will sit and idle at 2000 rpms beleive it or not, course everything in it is new. Sounds sorta like a Harley. Locktite your screws or kiss them good-bye, the ole hussy has a habit of vibrating out screws...

It sure will. 041's sound neat. They got that low tone rumble. I got one that will sit and idle at 2000 rpms beleive it or not, course everything in it is new. Sounds sorta like a Harley. Locktite your screws or kiss them good-bye, the ole hussy has a habit of vibrating out screws...
That's what the guy who sold it to me said, which he read somewhere on the inet...

What do you recommend Tommy? Seems like it wanted to fire, and a smidgen of smoke came out the muffler, but I can't get it to turn over, may have flooded it.

I took off the air filter and check the carb, seems that it's on there tight, so not sure the seal is bad there.

My hunch is the electronic ignition possibly? Maybe it's not firing properly?

Are the electronic ignitions known to give problems? Seems I read that somewhere...

That's what the guy who sold it to me said, which he read somewhere on the inet...

What do you recommend Tommy? Seems like it wanted to fire, and a smidgen of smoke came out the muffler, but I can't get it to turn over, may have flooded it.

I took off the air filter and check the carb, seems that it's on there tight, so not sure the seal is bad there.

My hunch is the electronic ignition possibly? Maybe it's not firing properly?

Are the electronic ignitions known to give problems? Seems I read that somewhere...

Welp if it fired over you got fire. The 041 had a bad habit. The flange the carb sits on would come loose from the cylinder. Check and make sure its tight. Then check your pulse hose to the carb. They tended to crack on the bend at the carb. Being its old the fuel hose is probably soft as well in the tank, sometimes they just turn to goo.

If you think you've flooded it unhook the fuel hose from the carb and start cranking. If it starts and smokes you was right..

Welp if it fired over you got fire. The 041 had a bad habit. The flange the carb sits on would come loose from the cylinder. Check and make sure its tight. Then check your pulse hose to the carb. They tended to crack on the bend at the carb. Being its old the fuel hose is probably soft as well in the tank, sometimes they just turn to goo.

If you think you've flooded it unhook the fuel hose from the carb and start cranking. If it starts and smokes you was right..
I will need to start tearing this apart I guess, but will try to remove the fuel hose from the carb tomorrow.

I need to go to a meeting tonight, trying to scout out some work, this stuff is play for me...:( Will report back tomorrow after I try a couple things.

In the meantime, if anyone else has any suggestions, please hollar!

Welp if it fired over you got fire.
No, it's intermittent, AFAICT. I know that I got some smoke, so I know that it tried to fire, but I just pulled the plug, no spark and it should be clear at night.

Where do I go with no spark? Ignition?

I need to look at the IPL I 'spose...

No, it's intermittent, AFAICT. I know that I got some smoke, so I know that it tried to fire, but I just pulled the plug, no spark and it should be clear at night.

Where do I go with no spark? Ignition?

I need to look at the IPL I 'spose...

If I have no spark, the first thing I check is the plug. Pop a new one in and try again. Then check the plug wire. Then the kill switch wire. Think simple. If that isnt it, and your saw has electronic ignition, its most likley the coil. And last but not least, the flywheel, which is rare to go bad, but has happened. Thats how I do it.

If I have no spark, the first thing I check is the plug. Pop a new one in and try again.
Did this first thing.
Then check the plug wire. Then the kill switch wire.
Not sure how to test those. Should I just test continuity on the spark plug wire? I think on the toggle switch I can test across the leads and one should show continuity, right?
Think simple. If that isnt it, and your saw has electronic ignition, its most likley the coil. And last but not least, the flywheel, which is rare to go bad, but has happened. Thats how I do it.
Ok, I need to isolate the plug wire and toggle.

Back