Nice Mod to a 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
Reaction score
I replace several studs each month (customer saws) - mainly because of worn shoulders from long bars and improperly tightened nuts. There are also bad threads and beaten down ends (hard to get the nut started etc.). For a couple of $ each, there is a solution.

The 441 has a new type of stud (part number 1138 664 2400) with much larger shoulders that protrude into the cover, longer threads and a machined end such that stud thread damage is much less likely.

Well... as the side covers of the 361 and 441 are the same, I figured the studs must be also. Sure enough...

Here's the new and old studs:

attachment.php

Another view on the saw:

attachment.php

The recessed side cover:

attachment.php

An extra bonus - there is now enough thread to double nut!!!!

attachment.php

Finished:

attachment.php

If you want to use these on any other of the small stud Stihl saws (up to 066/660) then you'll need to countersink the cover slightly. Make sure you get it centered before drilling!

Last edited:
Oh my gosh, I can't believe my eyes! Some tech info on Arboristsite! Way to post up some useful info Andy - an upgrade I would do if I owned any Stihl saws! I hope the masses thank you!

Lake, thanks for that, I may pay my dealer a visit this weekend.

Do the studs need any kind of thread locker? Whats the tourqe on tightening them down?

CaseyForrest said:
Lake, thanks for that, I may pay my dealer a visit this weekend.

Do the studs need any kind of thread locker? Whats the tourqe on tightening them down?

I didn't bother with thread locker as they go into the oil tank and I'd have to degrease... Assuming I was doing it right, I'd use 243 or 242 (blue). Torque? - the books says 23 nm.

I'm modding my 066 studs this weekend also!

I'll edit the original post to include the stud part number...

04ultra said:
Andy that saw is really dirty....Nice pictures.. :cheers:

It's not a mantle saw - it's a work saw!! I just used it to cut cedar curly fries for the wood duck nest boxes :)

It will get cleaned once a year whether it needs it or not.

Yep... I wonder what else I can pull of the 441 and put on the 361...hmmm...:biggrinbounce2:

get your studs quick.. I can't image they have enough in stock for all the non-441 upgrades :hmm3grin2orange:

Mike Maas said:
Now because of this post, the studs will fly off the shelf. The guys at stihl will think the new studs suck, some engineer will get fired, and they'll go back to the old ones.
Thanks Andy!

:ices_rofl:

Good job there Lake

Those studs were one of the very first things I noticed on the 441 when I first put the bar on it. Those studs are nice and would indeed be extra nice for holding long bars in place while changing chains. Stihl should use those type of studs on all their saws. You want to call them and tell them Lake or should I?

Good job there Lake, as always you da man, part Leopard but Stihl da Man..

Go ahead and tell them, and that all new cover stock shold be modifed to take the new studs.

I'm going to figure out the right tool to modify the existing (non-361/441) side covers. Drilling an oversize countersink would work, but it would be best to be counter-bored for a tight fit like the new covers.

Lakeside53 said:
Go ahead and tell them, and that all new cover stock shold be modifed to take the new studs.

I'm going to figure out the right tool to modify the existing (non-361/441) side covers. Drilling an oversize countersink would work, but it would be best to be counter-bored for a tight fit like the new covers.

Consider it done, sending Va Beach a e-mail right now. I'll forward you a copy.

spacemule said:
Especially when you have so many crappy saws to repair that're not under recall, eh Thal? :laugh:

Hahahaha, you should know all about crappy saws, you work in their playground,haha. Which ones do you like best Space, the lil Poulans, the lil China made Homelites or the Elux Macs or the small Echos,LOLOL. BTW Space I sold $5000.00 worth of Stihl the last two days, hows that for crappy SUCKER!,lol Smart shoppers buy the best and forget the rest,hehe

spacemule said:
$5,000 worth during the last two days? Heck, I sold that much in water heaters over the last two days I worked. :hmm3grin2orange: Actually, the Makitas aren't half bad--you just have to buy them through tool rental.

5000.00 worth of water heaters, thats pruty dayumm good but those are must have items. What I sell are mere want items, not a real need item, big differance. Never tried my hand at selling water heaters but I bought one of GE's best at Home Depot not too long ago and installed it myself. Got a good buy on it. I could probly sell $20,000 worth of them in two days,:hmm3grin2orange: messing with ya.

I'm sure the Makitas are fine as are most everything is with their name on it. Hell wait a minute, I got one, just says Dolmar on it. I got a good friend that works at the local HD here. He says they send their rental saws out for repair alot but being rental people are going to tear them up alot more than those that own them...

Back