Homemade SS log splitter in action

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John D

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I made my own log splitter this summer,split a bunch of wood it back in july,and havent used it much since.Today I took it out,and put it on the Cat,so I could split up some good size Oaks I got,to help them dry faster,down 2 yrs,and still wet inside.Anyway when I was done, i went in the woods,and used it to pick a few lenths of downed locust that I couldnt get by hand very easily.I quickly realized a side benefit of this splitter,it works great for picking out dead trees! I also cut what I call a widowmaker down with it,it was a 50ft locust leaning on another tree,not safe for me to cut with my saw ,given im not a pro,and didnt feel comfortable doing it.I sheered the tree with the splitter easily,and "helped" it over the way i wanted it to fall. All in all this homebuilt splitter works great,I cut a bunch of wood in the snow,and hauled some out,never got wet or hurt my back,and it was safer taking down that leaner being in the cab. I want to build a tree sheer next,but I need time to recover from the OWB,and install, I spent quite abit on it all.

Using it as a log grabber,it worked great.I really didnt build it to lift logs,so I may have to reinforce it a little,but I overbuilt it when it went together the first time. Now all I have to do is finish building the cab,so I can stay warm when using it in the cold.

That's some nice work there. But one thing, you messed up all your pretty snow.

Latest posts

Back