Metal vs. Plastic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Husqvarna saws (or any other make for that matter)...

How does one know that the crankcase of certain models is made of plastic and others made of metal?

Following some of the posts here, looks like the Rancher 455 has a plastic crankcase, correct? I can't find any info on the websites I've looked at that show specific details like that. On the official Husqvarna site, there is no warning label that says: "Warning, plastic components".

Is this some of those knowledge tidbits that you can only get from hanging around the smell of 2 cycle oil & sawdust?

JQ

Husqvarna saws (or any other make for that matter)...

How does one know that the crankcase of certain models is made of plastic and others made of metal?

Following some of the posts here, looks like the Rancher 455 has a plastic crankcase, correct? I can't find any info on the websites I've looked at that show specific details like that. On the official Husqvarna site, there is no warning label that says: "Warning, plastic components".

Is this some of those knowledge tidbits that you can only get from hanging around the smell of 2 cycle oil & sawdust?

JQ

With husqvarna saws the best way to tell if the saw case is metal is to look for the XP designation (idicating their professional models). And with Stihl saws their pro models have magnisium cases. There are some exceptions to this rule, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

No Stihl has a plastic crankcase.. On the consumer saws, the engine crankcase is metal.., and sits in a nylon ("Plastic") cradle. The pro saws have the crankcase/oil tank cast in magnesium alloy.

All of the Husqvarna models with plastic cases are proudly on display at Lowes Home Improvement, usually with the chain on backwards.:laugh:

Just because it doesnt have the XP doesnt mean it is plastic. 365, 570 not XP saws and have metal crankcase.

On the homeowner saws with the clam shell design I have seen, all have had 4 bolts going from the bottom of the saw to tighten the clam shell together around the crank and seals. So if you dont know the difference between magnesium cased or plastic (nylon) cased, look for that tell tell.

I got a question for the up to date guys in the know? Who introduced the first plastic cased clam shelled designed saw to the public for use? Poulan, Stihl, Husky, Echo, Dolmar, etc ?

When working on them I cant really tell a difference in the clam shelled designed saws, they all are real close in design, be it be a Poulan, Stihl, Husky, etc. Colors are the only difference I see, besides names.

Partner 400 was if I recall correctly the first plastic crankcase saw.Morphed into the Husky models 40,45,49 and Jonsered models 2041,2045 and 2050.

With husqvarna saws the best way to tell if the saw case is metal is to look for the XP designation (idicating their professional models). And with Stihl saws their pro models have magnisium cases. There are some exceptions to this rule, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Not - there are several non-xps that have Magnesium cases, today it is the 353, 359, 365 and 570, but if we talk about older saws, there are a lot more.

There also are xps with plastic cases, 338xpt and 339xp, I believe.

Back