What are you building with your milled wood? merged

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are a cpl pics of a 24' x36' 2 story barn framed ( and to be sided) with lumber off my LM 2000 EPA

DSCN0596.jpg

DSCN0595.jpg

That right there is a good reason for a band mill, especially if you can get free logs, framing/siding/shelving/cabinets in that building would pay for some mills.
Look forward to more pics/stories EPA.

Hi Keithtree: This was air dried over a year and a half because the customer didn't get around to start it ///// Normally you can rough frame in about 20 min. // Board and Batt siding can also go up green but the cracks will be bigger. ship lap should dry 3-6 mo inorder to plane it EPA

Not exactly from milled wood, but 12/4 and 16/4 stock all the same. I'm going to post in the turning forum as well. Go easy on the critiques; I'm really new to turning, and I know there are a couple cracks. They were filled with CA glue and epoxy, and won't open any more than they already are. Plus, they add a rustic, organic quality to the bowls. IMHO.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Those bowls look great to me! Nice wood too. I don't mind the cracks in pieces like those. For me, your bowls are showcasing the character of the wood and yes, wood gets cracks, as well as curl and burls (which are more accepted forms of natural occurences in the wood).

That's why turnings and some furniture pieces,when done well, are attractive with a live edge, bark inclusions, etc...

Andy

Here's a couple of hand tool handles milled from an apricot tree last year. These handles are turned from scrap bits of face cut/slabs. When I get something interesting like fruit wood I keep all the bits.
saws.jpg
NatPair.jpg
Saw blades are bought one but turning tool blade is made from a detempered old half round file.

Here's a brass headed carving mallet with handle made from a dry Western Australian Sheoak short I milled. about 2 months ago.

IMG_8171.jpg

Attachments

• allfash.jpg
    allfash.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Good stuff both of you won't find that stuff at the big box stores!! I was going to ask the same thing are those fenders?? Nothing like a vintage amp all the digital processors out there just can't touch em'.

Good stuff both of you won't find that stuff at the big box stores!! I was going to ask the same thing are those fenders?? Nothing like a vintage amp all the digital processors out there just can't touch em'.

Yea, The top amp is a 1964 bandmaster.The bottom is a 1969 Marshall stack.

kit3Nat.jpg kit5Nattucked.jpg Still waiting for the weather to cool off here so over the last month or so I have been making this commissioned "luthier's toolkit".

All wood except for the marking knife (curly Jarrah) was milled by yours truly. All metalwork except the Japanese saw blade also made by me from stock plate or rod. Fretting mallet and Japanese saw handle are Aussie sheoak, chisel handles are Redgum, from my milled scraps pile. The chisel plane handle is made from a very rare Western Australian timber called Red Tingle.

Last edited:
lol, waiting for the weather to cool off. I'm waiting for it to warm up! Its 50 now, finally a nice day! Great job as always!!!!

Bob looks like you do quality professional work, nice job. Especially when you consider that you made most of the kit from scratch. You need to take the time to market your work in some unique niche market that appreciates your skills. Quite an accomplishment.

Yeah... same as Stony, I'm looking forward to when the weather gets up in the 50's and 60's again. You folks down under are backwards, because you're... down under :dizzy:

Thanks Fellas.

Besides the weather, it's a bit of a tug of war between my tool making and milling interests. I went to the milling yard recently and there are plenty of logs accumulating for me to tackle. A week or two and I should be able to get started again.

Very Nice

Just wondering how you did the metal work? I do a lot of forge and machine work here and I would guess you might have used precision ground annealed stock and perhaps heat treated the chisels yourself??

Very nice tool kit...

Back