What are you making with your milled wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wondered a bit at first myself about the wisdom of that, though I'm all for recycling used motor oil for things that other people here say are terrible ideas (like using it for bar chain oil). But couple things about this application that suggest it's not likely a problem - horses chewing on wood are bored horses who generally aren't being kept or fed properly. It's not natural behavior. And this is wall paneling that is next to impossible for a horse to chew on, it's not a wooden gate or fence. It's an effective sealer less nasty than creosote - though like creosote, it's better suited to outside applications where there's no contact with it. I mean, end of the day it's kind of pick your poison when it comes to treating wood, not a lot of anything is great. I probably would have used Thompson's, but it's far from harmless too - unless you're using redwood, cypress, or cedar that you can leave natural, treating wood to be water resistant generally isn't going to be good for anything that wants to gnaw on it.

Predicting toxicity in this situation (and many others) is dicey because it’s uncertain what compounds the used oil contains and what dose the animals will receive by ingestion, inhalation and dermal contact. “All things are poison and nothing is without poison; only the dose makes a thing not a poison.”

Like when I do cutting boards . No stain just some butcher block conditioner .
Same - my cutting/charcuterie boards (and a great deal of my work) is finished with my own blend of mineral oil and beeswax which is mostly all butcher block conditioner is (or carnauba too sometimes). Because commercial BB conditioners are usually liquid, I assume they go kinda light on the wax because after I heat and blend mine 4:1 or 5:1 oil/wax it always cools to a soft solid. Was getting mineral oil for $20/gallon and white beeswax pellets about $8.50/lb, but now mineral oil is up to about $30/gallon. Still, a lot cheaper than buying 12oz of Howard conditioner for $10 a pop. A gallon goes an incredibly long way to finishing a ton of fine sanded hardwood. I tried some sealing of slab ends for drying with it til I found I could get Klingspor Green Wood Sealer for $20 a gallon.

Back