What are you making with your milled wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like to know if your successful with the Ash cookies. In January, I dropped a very large, 30" plus diameter ash that EAB killed. Cut several cookies, at different times. 1st cracked within a week and continues to do so. The next several, through some very helpful members here suggested coating both sides. I used a water based ceramic roof coating. Cracked, but not as severe or as soon. Cut a 2 1/2 center hole in one, coated, so far so good. Last one I cut into a pie shape; 4 slices coated. As I cross cutting, it started to split, mildly, but hasn't advanced. Checks about 14% moisture content. Keeping fingers crossed. The above mentioned pieces are for a 9-year-old to paint, so appearance if reglued isn't an issue.
I did try cutting a slab. without a mill. Beautiful grain, but not very even.
Good luck!
More I've studied on it, more I've come to realize waxiness is the key to good sealers. All the the latex paints and elastomeric roof sealers and the like breathe too much. Far better than nothing, but not nearly what Anchor Seal or Klingspor's Green Wood Sealer equivalent or blended mineral oil/beeswax will achieve. Not bothered much by cracking as beautiful epoxy fills of cracks are part of my stock in trade as a woodworker, they always just look better the more subtle and narrow that they are. A big pie slice crack full of epoxy doesn't look particularly good. On the flip side, end grain rarely looks that all great, so some artistic enhancement of it often helps. Best end grain cookie table I ever did was this from a hollowed out guanacaste cookie in Mexico with a custom cut blue glass inlay. But after I sold it, the wood kept shrinking in an air conditioned office and exploded the glass.

Attachments

• laketable2.jpg
    laketable2.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 0
Ouch on the table. Too bad, it looks beautiful.

Many here suggested a wax-based product. If this was a desirable round, I would have gone that way. I used that coating for the 9-year-old as I know it will accept regular latex paint. Plus, I told the parents burn it when she tires of this.

how big is the hollowed out log? Would make a cool piece w about a half inch to an inch of resin poured into it. Looking to find some logs like that to cookie. I call them “lake tables”.
Yeah I'm gonna end up taking home a piece of that too 😂. It's smaller stuff, around 18-22" or so I guess. I think the hollow one is oak. There's a couple small poplar logs as well. There's another oak log I've got my eye on in there too.

Best end grain cookie table I ever did was this from a hollowed out guanacaste cookie in Mexico with a custom cut blue glass inlay. But after I sold it, the wood kept shrinking in an air conditioned office and exploded the glass.
Aw man, that sucks! It's also exactly why I'm building a kiln this summer. Air dry to 20% and then kiln dry down to less than 10%.

Gotta give it to Klingspor, I ordered last night and the sealer will be here Friday!

Here's a pecan crotch cookie and a normal cookie that I freehanded about 5-6 months ago and have been sitting in my barn since. Seems to be a lot less checking in the crotch piece. The one on the right might be black gum, not pecan. I can't remember. lol

IMG_20240321_153209894.jpg

IMG_2476.jpegIMG_2477.jpeg

Barn doors are finished and installed.
Customer is a timber framer who said he didn’t mind if I built them with green wood. The shrinkage is already noticeable in the gaps, but I used lap joints to make up for that. Hopefully it won’t shrink too much more!

View attachment 1163736View attachment 1163737

Barn doors are finished and installed.
Customer is a timber framer who said he didn’t mind if I built them with green wood. The shrinkage is already noticeable in the gaps, but I used lap joints to make up for that. Hopefully it won’t shrink too much more!

Nice doors! What kind of wood?

More I've studied on it, more I've come to realize waxiness is the key to good sealers. All the the latex paints and elastomeric roof sealers and the like breathe too much. Far better than nothing, but not nearly what Anchor Seal or Klingspor's Green Wood Sealer equivalent or blended mineral oil/beeswax will achieve.

Have you tried end sealing with glue before? It's way cheaper than end sealer. 2 gallons of this cheap white Amazon glue is only $25, and you could probably dilute that down to 2.5 - 3 gallons. I was thinking about ordering a couple gallons and doing some testing over time. Untitled.jpg

Have you tried end sealing with glue before? It's way cheaper than end sealer. 2 gallons of this cheap white Amazon glue is only $25, and you could probably dilute that down to 2.5 - 3 gallons. I was thinking about ordering a couple gallons and doing some testing over time.
I know glue works well and is cheap, I just don't like it's gumminess. If you're just trimming ends off slabs it probably doesn't matter. But I'm not sure I want it on cookies. Hard to say. If you're router leveling again before sanding it's fine most likely. But you can't sand it off very well, just gums up sandpaper completely.

I know glue works well and is cheap, I just don't like it's gumminess. If you're just trimming ends off slabs it probably doesn't matter. But I'm not sure I want it on cookies. Hard to say. If you're router leveling again before sanding it's fine most likely. But you can't sand it off very well, just gums up sandpaper completely.
Great points, I was just really considering it for the end grain of slabs. I may test some in the future but 2 gallons of this klingspor stuff should do a fair amount. It wouldn't hurt to put a thin coat over the paint I sealed my slabs with would it? How about using it on stuff that's been milled for over a week, like my pecan cookies?

Browsing through their catalogue, they have a lot of stuff! Thanks for the recommendation, they're in state so shipping only took like 2 days, and it was packaged well.

433869715_7588278571193099_2104251461079806400_n.jpg

Great points, I was just really considering it for the end grain of slabs. I may test some in the future but 2 gallons of this klingspor stuff should do a fair amount. It wouldn't hurt to put a thin coat over the paint I sealed my slabs with would it? How about using it on stuff that's been milled for over a week, like my pecan cookies?
I hadn't looked at Amazon for glue, but 2 gallons for $25 is pretty compelling for sealing ends of slabs. Still, the Klingspor sealer is cheap enough and I'd much rather support Klingspor than Amazon I don't think I'll bother chasing a cheaper product. If I was milling more wood than I am, I might. I think you could paint it on over the latex paint just fine. No problem using it on stuff that's been drying for a week, I plan to. Really hoping mine gets here in a day or two, I know my 2" ash cookies are going to start cracking up any day now.

I hadn't looked at Amazon for glue, but 2 gallons for $25 is pretty compelling for sealing ends of slabs. Still, the Klingspor sealer is cheap enough and I'd much rather support Klingspor than Amazon I don't think I'll bother chasing a cheaper product. If I was milling more wood than I am, I might. I think you could paint it on over the latex paint just fine. No problem using it on stuff that's been drying for a week, I plan to. Really hoping mine gets here in a day or two, I know my 2" ash cookies are going to start cracking up any day now.
Completely agree with you about supporting an in-state company vs Amazon! I recently over the last few months started realizing that Amazon prices are typically significantly higher than what you'll pay in store for most things. Every now and then you run across deals like that glue there.

Of course it's raining tomorrow so I can't cookie up my oak rounds :chainsaw:

Completely agree with you about supporting an in-state company vs Amazon! I recently over the last few months started realizing that Amazon prices are typically significantly higher than what you'll pay in store for most things. Every now and then you run across deals like that glue there.

Of course it's raining tomorrow so I can't cookie up my oak rounds :chainsaw:
Check the Chainsaw forum thread "What's on your bench" to see my comedy of errors rebuilding the dead 359 my tree service friend brought me. Was going through long dried stack of mesquite boards planing them today to see what I had, have a small shoe bench commission I need to get done. Been cleaning up and planing all my dried slab stacks and restacking the last few weeks, patio slab storage is a bit more manageable now and everything kinda raw that had been outside in the weather on my back fence line has been leveled and cleaned up and brought on to the patio. Cleanest my back yard has been in ages. Trying to make a move this year so the more I can condense all my crap the better.

I’ve had luck with small cookies in the microwave. Some bigger ones I’ll heat the center gently with a heat gun. Never did anything real big. 20” diameter and 1.5” thick were the biggest. But if you can give the center a head start drying It’ll relieve the stress while the rest dries.

Attachments

• IMG_1647.jpeg
    IMG_1647.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
I’ve had luck with small cookies in the microwave. Some bigger ones I’ll heat the center gently with a heat gun. Never did anything real big. 20” diameter and 1.5” thick were the biggest. But if you can give the center a head start drying It’ll relieve the stress while the rest dries.
I'm actually considering taking a couple round cookies and putting a rachet strap around the outside of them, tightening every so often to help keep them together and see how that works out.

Latest posts

Back