What are you building with your milled wood? merged

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More Guitar building Pics.

Where the whole class was up to by the end of Day 7 of the course

IMG_7928.jpg
IMG_7927.jpg
Days 8 and 9 involved gluing on the fret board, shaping the neck, adding the frets, and making and adding the bridge, and lots more sanding, sanding sanding sanding!

At the end of the day I managed to get the first of five coats of Danish oil onto the main surfaces.
IMG_7957.jpg
IMG_7958.jpg
The Fret board has lemon oils applied just before stringing up.

Enjoy

Last edited:
Great Job!

You have done a great job on that guitar!! One day I would like to build a acoustic from scratch I have done a electric but the acoustic in a totally different animal and alot harder. What a great project!! Keep posting pics and updates love to see!! Again great job. Thanks

Great thread. Tons of beautiful work here. This is a rocking cradle I built when my daughter was born last spring. It's made from Pacific Yew I had cut for longbows but that didn't make the grade. Since I had packed it out of a canyon on my back, it seemed a shame to not use it for something special. I milled the wood with an 8" jointer and a big bandsaw.

J. D.
Cradle.jpg

I love the beautiful woodworrking, Iam concernd abiut the height of the sides, most of my kidds were about 75/25, 75% percent top heavy, arn,t all 6,mo olds little legs and huge tops,. sorry , I got of track,..just concernd about the baby,.

I love the beautiful woodworrking, Iam concernd abiut the height of the sides, most of my kidds were about 75/25, 75% percent top heavy, arn,t all 6,mo olds little legs and huge tops,. sorry , I got of track,..just concernd about the baby,.

I does kinda look like if a toddler managed to climb or pull him/herself up to one of those corners and try and stand up, it might go over. The ends of the rockers do have that curved tip that makes it hard for the thing to do that. I built a rocking chair that called for a simple shallow knob at the very end of the curved rocker part, which surprisingly made it almost impossible to get the thing to go over backwards no matter how much you got it rocking and leaned back on it. However, this crib is on carpet, which would help absorb that, and thus it might just go over.

BTW absolutely beautiful guitar Bob... I envy you having the time to spend a week at that shop and build that thing. I'd love to do that. Take it to a show or to somebody who plays for a living, and let him/her have a go at it.

Last edited:
crib

I does kinda look like if a toddler managed to climb or pull him/herself up to one of those corners and try and stand up, it might go over. The ends of the rockers do have that curved tip that makes it hard for the thing to do that. I built a rocking chair that called for a simple shallow knob at the very end of the curved rocker part, which surprisingly made it almost impossible to get the thing to go over backwards no matter how much you got it rocking and leaned back on it. However, this crib is on carpet, which would help absorb that, and thus it might just go over.

BTW absolutely beautiful guitar Bob... I envy you having the time to spend a week at that shop and build that thing. I'd love to do that. Take it to a show or to somebody who plays for a living, and let him/her have a go at it.

I was speeking of the height of the sides primarily, the fact that its a rocker adds a little to my concern, of the baby tipping out, not the crib tipping over,

Thanks WS - the teacher is a fully trained classical guitarist but can play any style (blues, flamenco etc) reasonably well too. Every day, once things are arolling he gets out his favorite and gives us a one hour burst of variety pickin'. There's something special about making a guitar while the teacher plays. I hope he can at least give mine a bit of a work over tomorrow.

Cheers

Final Pics of the finished Guitar:
IMG_8056.jpg
IMG_8060.jpg
IMG_8057p.jpg
IMG_8061.jpg
IMG_8064.jpg
IMG_8070.jpg
IMG_8065.jpg

Master Luthier Chris giving it a good run. Of course you want to know how it sounds - freaking nice - pity I can't play all that much! I guess I need to start practicing a bit more.
IMG_8042.jpg

Its been a real fun project - hope you enjoyed the voyage.
Cheers

Last edited:
Just beautiful... beautiful instrument. I love that bookmatched back. Glad it does sound good. I've seen many instruments built by hand that looked drop dead, but didn't sound all that great for what apparently could be many reasons when you're dealing with a wooden soundbox. That's one reason luthiers tend to be so strictly traditional when it comes to details, instrument design, what kind of wood to use etc. Met a guy once who built and sold Appalachian dulcimers, was very good at it and they sounded great. They were light as a feather, looked beautiful and he sold many. He said he took a stab at making hammer dulcimers at one point, but after many attempts, just could not make one that sounded great over the whole range of notes without it weighing 50 lbs, and he eventually gave up on it. Point being even good luthiers have problems getting some instruments to sound great.

Any plans now to build another one from scratch at home in your shop now that you've attended a workshop like that? I know there would be more than just a few jigs to build, but nothing you couldn't handle if you took the time.

Any plans now to build another one from scratch at home in your shop now that you've attended a workshop like that? I know there would be more than just a few jigs to build, but nothing you couldn't handle if you took the time.

Short Answer is yes, longer answer is, I really want to use at least some wood that I have milled so I have to wait for some of it to dry a bit more. One of my brothers has some experience and a few bits and a buddy at work has built quite a few that I hope I can borrow some Jigs from them.

Thanks for sharing the story and pictures. How many total hours of hands on work did it take you for this first one? Did the instructor say how many hours it would take him to make one? Any long term attention to the finish? Thanks again, great job!

Thanks for sharing the story and pictures. How many total hours of hands on work did it take you for this first one? Did the instructor say how many hours it would take him to make one? Any long term attention to the finish? Thanks again, great job!

No worries:

If you take out the time spent waiting for the coats of oil to dry and chatting with visitors to the school (they have an open house policy that visitors can walk in at any time) I estimate it took me about 85 hours over 11 days. One of the guys in the class took only 75 hours, but he is a very experienced machinist by profession. I also paid a lot of attention to sanding the insides which is not normally done. The other 2 students (there are no more than 4 students in a class) took a few hours longer than me.

The instructor said he can make a guitar in a long week and also make them 2-3 at a time if he needs to, AND his finishes are flawless. His prices start at around $4000 for a steel string and up to double that for a classical guitar.

Long term finish. Apart from the fret board which is coated in lemon oil, the rest of the guitar has 5 coats of Danish oil (rubbed down with fine steel wool between coats) and 3 coats of Natural wood working wax (no lacquer was used). A polish with the same wood working wax is suggested every 3 - 6 months. The benefit of this type of finish is that if it gets scratched it can be rubbed lightly back with steel wool and the scratches sanded out with fine sandpaper and then recoated in the same way. Although lacquer or similar style finishes are harder, repairing scratches require a lot more work.

Last edited:
hutch table

I rarely post table pics, as how many tables can you look at? This is a hutch table out of cherry. Distressed, heavy, and beautiful. I haven't built one of these in a while, and thought I would share.

I model my hutch tables after an original from the early 1800's that I restored years ago.

IMGP04081.jpg

IMGP04121.jpg

IMGP04191.jpg

IMGP04271.jpg

this was a tree that was at a friends house. Storm damaged and too close to his garage.

Beautiful table Stonykill! I have some Cherry that I milled from a leaner that I found on the back of the farm last year. Im gonna build a corner curio for the wife out of it. Nice job!!!:cheers:

Latest posts

Back