Got my first chainsaw...dolmar 112.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_diggs

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I picked up a Dolmar 112 from a carpenter that had placed it in a local classified add. Anyway, the thing is in amazing shape and came with the case, original manual, original warrenty card and tags that were on the saw on the showroom. being that carpenters are an oddly meticulate,,,I feel the thing has been taken care of inside and out. I got it for $75. The saw has a 16" bar on it and I'd like to know what size of bar a 3 hp saw can pull.

I like my old 112 very much. I have a 20" sprocket-nose bar, but I don't try to bury the bar in hardwood. I like a little extra length for the additional reach. An 18" bar would likely be optimum on that saw. I use 16" bars on my small (Stihl 200t-size) saws.

I picked up a Dolmar 112 from a carpenter that had placed it in a local classified add. Anyway, the thing is in amazing shape and came with the case, original manual, original warrenty card and tags that were on the saw on the showroom. being that carpenters are an oddly meticulate,,,I feel the thing has been taken care of inside and out. I got it for $75. The saw has a 16" bar on it and I'd like to know what size of bar a 3 hp saw can pull.
You got a great deal on a very good saw.
I have owned Sach Dolmar saws since they came to our area in the early eighties. They are really good quality saws and the 112 is rock solid and dependable. The only problems I have had with the three I own is the points are hard to set as you need a spacer to put on the crank with, the flywheel off, to use as a spacer to get correct point settings and the wire from the points to the coil sometimes will break inside the insulation jacket and is difficult to detect visually. Pioneerguy600

Welcome!

Good saw, but 16" bar is the most I would want on it.

"Can pull" is a very inaccurate measure though, it really is up to you, how you cut, and your expectations............:D

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys, I think I'll leave the 16" bar on the since I have access to much bigger saws if I need them. Hopefully the ignition system will stay in tact for me. Just a week before I picked this saw up, a friend offered a MS-250 pro with about 45min of run time for $350....not bad against the $500+ new it cost him but the $75 I spent on this older saw was impossible to pass up.

Thanks for the input guys, I think I'll leave the 16" bar on the since I have access to much bigger saws if I need them. Hopefully the ignition system will stay in tact for me. Just a week before I picked this saw up, a friend offered a MS-250 pro with about 45min of run time for $350....not bad against the $500+ new it cost him but the $75 I spent on this older saw was impossible to pass up.
The ms 250 is not a pro saw, Must have been the 260, Nice saw and pics would be just dandy, Please.

You got a great deal on a very good saw.
. Pioneerguy600

+1
I had a used 112 about 3 years ago that was a replacement for the new lemon saw that burned my chainsaw budget at the time. Mine came with an 18 and 24 inch bar and I used it with both for about 6 mo. . It had more then enough for the 18 and the 24 with skip chain was managable for its power but of course it slowed it down some. It was a great starter cold or warm ,reasonably comfortable to run, and cut a decent amount of wood on a tank of gas. I ran it side by side my nephews 361 and it wasn't near as smooth, but not terrible. When I got an 026 pro fixed up I sold it. IMO the 026 felt more nimble handling, compact, and faster on chain speed, the 112 started a bit easiar, all else not a lot of differance.

+1
I had a used 112 about 3 years ago that was a replacement for the new lemon saw that burned my chainsaw budget at the time. Mine came with an 18 and 24 inch bar and I used it with both for about 6 mo. . It had more then enough for the 18 and the 24 with skip chain was managable for its power but of course it slowed it down some. It was a great starter cold or warm ,reasonably comfortable to run, and cut a decent amount of wood on a tank of gas. I ran it side by side my nephews 361 and it wasn't near as smooth, but not terrible. When I got an 026 pro fixed up I sold it. IMO the 026 felt more nimble handling, compact, and faster on chain speed, the 112 started a bit easiar, all else not a lot of differance.

I run 16" and18 "bars on my 112`s and cut mostly hardwood with them . I have two orange ones and a silver and black anniversary one. I mostly use my 116Si and 120 super and have 8 in total,they have always been very dependable hard working saws that with proper cleaning and maintainence have cut every year for20 to 24 years and only one has required a set of rings when the comp fell to120 lbs on one of the regular116`s. No problems starting any of them hot or cold,also had one electronic coil need replacing a few years back but really good service from them overall. Pioneerguy600

I cut up some fairly large cottonwood trees today with the saw, seemed to run good although the soft wood was real wet. I didn't realize it but that little booger has some weight to it! I think the compression might be a little low but I found a piston & ring for $30 that I'll probably buy. As for the pics, I'll get some up once I find my camera.

ms260:cheers:

That 260 is the saw YOU need...... good luck getting him to sell it now though, he said he like running it better than the 440.

Sweet Late model 112

You got a great find there thats a last year production 112 Cause it has the 2 piece hood. Looks to be in fine shape as well. New they sold in the $275.00 - $289.00 range We sold most of them with 16" but alot with 18" and some 20" as well

attachment.php

Scott

Last edited:
Hello. I found this site/post while searching the web for Dolmar 112.

I have a 112 too. Its a Silver Anniversary?, the black and silver model.

It took a dunking years ago then sat dry for years and was locked up when I got it, but I managed to get it turning over using penetrating oil and slowly working it back and forth.

Im trying to get it running now. It had a weak spark on the first pull, then no spark at all now. I found a carb kit for the Tillotson HK21-C.

The coil isnt available new from what Ive found so far, so I havent even tried to locate the points/condensor. Anybody know of a source?

Mike

It took a dunking years ago then sat dry for years and was locked up when I got it, but I managed to get it turning over using penetrating oil and slowly working it back and forth.

Im trying to get it running now. It had a weak spark on the first pull, then no spark at all now. I found a carb kit for the Tillotson HK21-C.

The coil isnt available new from what Ive found so far, so I havent even tried to locate the points/condensor. Anybody know of a source?

Mike

Don`t know where you can send and buy the points,condenser or coil but if you sell it to me I would have it running in a hour or so. LOL Pioneerguy600

Don`t know where you can send and buy the points,condenser or coil but if you sell it to me I would have it running in a hour or so. LOL Pioneerguy600

Yeah, I see you have a few 112s. Maybe some extra parts too huh?

I was thinking I could swap on or somehow adapt a known good coil if I can find one and convert to electronic ign. The local small eng shop sells a module to convert to elect ign for ~$25.00.

Mike

Mike

The electronic ign. coil from the PS6800 will fit and you wont need the points anymore
030143041 coil $63.32 msrp in stock if you need

Scott

Back