Stihl 046 - No Spark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinistertrucker

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a contract to fulfill by the 11th and my trusty 046 quit on me yesterday:(

I've tried cleaning the magnetic parts and disconnecting the ground but can't get a spark out of it.

I figured since the saw is old, the coil assembly is toast. I've been searching the net and found this coil for sale: http://www.milfordpower.com/R9358_Stihl_0000_400_1300_Solid_State_Ignition_Mod_p/r9358.htm Looks generic but thats the price my dealer wants for a used one.

Suggestions on anything else I should test before throwing $ at it? I need to get it going asap.

I have a contract to fulfill by the 11th and my trusty 046 quit on me yesterday:(

I've tried cleaning the magnetic parts and disconnecting the ground but can't get a spark out of it.

I figured since the saw is old, the coil assembly is toast. I've been searching the net and found this coil for sale: http://www.milfordpower.com/R9358_Stihl_0000_400_1300_Solid_State_Ignition_Mod_p/r9358.htm Looks generic but thats the price my dealer wants for a used one.

Suggestions on anything else I should test before throwing $ at it? I need to get it going asap.

If your dealer has the used one in stock, I'd be going that route.

This doesn't say it fits the 046, but it has the same part # as the one you listed. Plus they are a AS sponsor.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=QA+00004+001300&catID=109

I checked the Stihl IPL, and the 046/460 calls for a different coil than that Baileys one you listed. The 066/650/660 ones and 046/460 ones are all the same. If he needs the coil ASAP to get a job done ($), and the dealer has ANY working one in stock, I'm not sure what the question is?????

Check the connection to the coil wire under the sparkplug boot.

If it pops out of the coil wire center you will get no spark or a rough running saw that coughs and spits. You cannot see this as the boot covers the whole deal.

They are a real ##### to get back (keep) in place as you slide the boot over the connector/ coil wire.

P.S. anybody have a good method to get the boot over the connector/wire

Here's a few ideas:
Make sure the spark plug is in good condition (sounds obvious, but some people just assume it's good)

Check the spark plug lead, sometimes they can have tiny cracks in them wich will prevent the current passing

Make sure the wires going to the Master control lever arent earthed out to Ground (I had this problem with my 026)

Beyond that, I geuss make sure the magnets on the flywheel are still magnetic (lol) and yeah beyond that I would suggest the coil.

Gab

check the killswitch and try a new sparkplug.

stihl's have lifetime warranties on their coils(supposed to be to the original owner, but i had 460 coil issues on a used saw that i didn't buy new and they covered it). so in all honesty you should be able to get a new one for free if you are the original owner

Latest posts

Back