Video: MS440 w/28" bar buried

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I posted this video in the hotrod thread. But's it's way at the end of an older thread not seeing much activity. I'd thought I'd start a new thread to show it off.

This is a MS440 with an OEM MS460 topend. It's pulling an 8-pin rim. The chain is Oregon 72CK semi-skip square chisel chain.

I am building and setting up this saw as my main work saw. My MS460 has always filled those shoes until I built this one. This saw is actually stronger, and less weight to boot. The 28" Oregon Reduced Weight bar stays with the high speed low drag philosophy. The 3/4 wrap handle is something new for me. I've never had anything other than a half wrap handle on any of my regular work saws. I won't use one on my 066 since I flush cut my stumps very low. I thought it might make a nice addition to this 440 as an all round falling/bucking saw, which will fill the majority of my wood cutting needs.

Last edited:
The kind of setup that puts a smile on your face.:clap:

Mr. HE:cool:

Everything was cool until that leprechaun jumped in front of your camera and startled me. I think he is pissed that your cutting up his tree.

Nice video, I would like to build a sleeper saw like that. Oh the search for a 12mm 044. Do you think the Oregon reduced weight is worth it?

Brad your not helpn me any, ive had a meteor pationtly waiting to go in the ported 440, but you keep talkn about your 440/460 so much that i may have to give it a try.

how did you like the 3/4 wrap

Brad that saw is really hauling. Good tuning video too. You can clearly hear the saw 4-stroking on the 1st cut then running clean after you adjusted it.

You sure that tree isn't rotten?

how did you like the 3/4 wrap
I didn't really have a chance to use it's added functionality on this job. But it didn't bother me or get in the way. I think I'm going to really like it.

You sure that tree isn't rotten?
Totally solid all the way to the butt.

why is it faster than ms 460 is it because a shorter stroke?:clap::chainsaw:
If it was a different stroke you couldn't do it. There are two possibilities. The crankcase is smaller on the 440, and the porting as likely more aggressive on this saw. My 460 was one of the first saws I ported. Also, for some reason, this topend is making awesome compression. It's now at 180 PSI after the first 4 tanks or so. It's breaking in nicely.

Well, that was the best saw video I've ever seen. I only have one Stihl and I bought it new, an MS 310. No mods whatsoever. I need to find one and invest time, effort, and energy, and most likely someone elses talent to make it perform like yours. I have to tell you, this video does put a BIG smile on my face! When my wife came into the sun room she heard the laptop and all she did was cut her eyes. Is that a good sign? Possibly permission to get a saw that roars? Nice PPE, and nice work Brad. Keep it rolling, Max.:clap::clap:

nice brad, what kind of wood is it? looks like a fir maybe? I would bet that saw would give my 064 a decent run. are you running full comp? sounds good man. dont the 460s have the same bore as a 440 BB kit from bailies, 78 CCs or about that?

I just put a BB and Dual port muffler cover on my MS440 I need to learn how to do some porting, that is BA!!! You make any carb mods and its a 440 carb and how much porting you do?

Latest posts

Back