Big Shot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lumberjack

Banned
Reaction score
I got my Big Shot in today. It is AWSOME. I set the bag through a pecan canopy to the exact crotch ect. It was way easier than climbing the tree. I used the 8 oz with 1.75mm Zing It. It flat rocked. I need a pole about 2-3 foot longer to make it right. I don't think that I will need the quick release, as I can pull the bag to the ground (with me sitting on the ground) without a problem.

If you think that you may want the Big Shot get it.

The zing it seems to feel like a braided version of the 3 strand string used in construction. I think that I may try that and see if I may have found a replacement for the $22 per 180.

I also got the Line tamer. It took a second to get it to flow right, but after I did it rocked as well. I am going to try to make one for a cordless drill when I have time for my bigger ropes.

Slingshots on steroids

Welcome to a distinct facet of tree care. Welcome to rope setting. Once you're 90% accurate, you'll do shots, impossible shots, and plink em right in there. Have fun. Just stick with the zing-it line. You'll be amazed how long it lasts (if you keep it out of pine trees). -TM-

A local saw shop here in town has a BS for 180.00$. I hope I find out who buys it, if it sells.:rolleyes:

Zing-it------------33.00$

Last edited:
I got mine today ae vermeer dealer for hea alone it was $58 and the 180 feet of zing it line was $22 and 10 oz throw bag was $12 jepson book was $15. Spend over $100. stuff is so expensive Now I have to figure out how to use it.

I bought one 2 weeks ago and I need to spend some time with it. Messed with it for 10 minutes trying to set a line in a 60 ft Black Cherry. Overshooting undershooting.....a wee bit left...then right:confused: I gave up and just threw it in. I`m good up to about 50 ft but I need to practice and get good at the BS for the higher sets. I was using a 10oz but I think I might have better luck with the new compact bags that sit in the pocket better. I`m glad to see you guys are having better results than I did. Note to self....practice, practice, practice.

Glenn

I use the sherrill bags, and I didn't have a problem. They aren't a hacky sack, they have to be hard to stay together. I didn't have a problem with them sitting in the pouch, I just put the pointy end up and let it rip.

Carl

Try em again Rocky, the Sherril bags work fine for me, just set them in neatly.

Lumberjack,

Forget the construction string. It is stretchy, the last thing you want, and certainly way under in the strength dept. The only thing it would work for is for inital set, then pulling up another throw line. Why bother, get the Zing-It, it'll last for years!

A quick release is invaluable for long throws, or any throws as it allows relaxed aiming. Also, some rubber is thicker and stronger than others. My current one allows a quick pull for maybe a 60-70 foot toss. My previous one, no way, unless you have MB's finger strength. One before that was softer, but meant that, for a long throw, the pouch would need to be pulled nearly all the way to the end of an 8 foot pole. It also broke quicker.

A tip for everyone: When you replace the sling, file the ends of the frame into a taper, back an inch or so, then smooth them out. This will provide a smoother longer transition zone where the rubber stretches most.

I'm now on my fifth sling, so listen up folks, this here old goat has done some Big Shoting!

Last edited:
"I've never thought of the BS as an entry to another plane. You're right though. It makes crown access a secondary item. Instead of being a primary thought, I can look at any tree and know that I can get in to it. I choose the place and get to work."
Whoever wrote that, hit the doggy on the noodle.

Rocky J., speaking of how the bag fits into the BS pouch, points out one of the finer nuances in getting your shot accuracy consistent - the bag shape.

Shot bag shapes could (for the sake of communication) be classified (at this point in time) into bendys, squashies, stiffies and bullets.

Bendys are cordura, non-dipped, and the ring folds over onto it own self and STAYS folded. Kind of a supple hand feel. Very hacky sack-like. The whole thing remains in a tight ball, balanced and together, and shoots beautifully.

Squashies are super bendy bendys. You get this by taking a 16 oz bendy, remove 2 oz. of shot and you've got a squashy. These are the best. This was discovered when a bag missed it's 70' mark, bounced off the face of the crotch and began acceleration back to the driveway, wherupon it ruptured and sent out little tiny BB's all over, about two ounces, I estimate. The Aquaseal in the photo is the bomb stuff and is holding up very well under the unusual forces a shotbag can see.

-TM-

I have a couple newer Sherrill bags that are pointy on the bottom and are impossible to use with the BS. Since they are vinyl dipped, they are less flexible and will not sit down in the pouch no matter what.

Stiffies are what Rocky described: vinyl-dipped, long and they're great as throw bags, but they suck as shot bags. Imbalanced, oversized, like trying to shoot heavy dill pickle.

Bullets are the new Sherrill bags, the shot is more concentrated into one end of the bag, but essentially, they're stiffies. there's also a tiny loop sewn at the bottom of the bag, but I haven't figured out what that's use is, and the top ring is notably smaler than on all other shotbags.

I think Rocky and I agree on the cordura Weaver bags as being the best option out there at this time. -TM-

I like the torpedo shaped bags on larger trees because they will fall off a fat limb instead of just sitting down on it.

For me, they have not been a problem with how they sit in the BS pouch either.

The loose bags are better for use over hardscape, because they are less likely to rupture.

BTW, with my hight, I use 4 and 6 foot sections on mine.

I hear Kenny uses a 4 or 6.;)

Originally posted by Tree Machine
Bullets are the new Sherrill bags, the shot is more concentrated into one end of the bag, but essentially, they're stiffies. there's also a tiny loop sewn at the bottom of the bag, but I haven't figured out what that's use is, and the top ring is notably smaler than on all other shotbags.

I -TM-

Purpose of loop: attach minibiner and line via spliced eye. This makes it easy to make use of the weight when working the transition over a tight crotch. A sharp tug should suffice.

Ahhh, an accessory loop that allows you to hoist a rope, a biner AND a bag up into the tree.

This is for the guys who tie the slickline directly to the shotbag ring. The bottom loop would allow you to not have to tie and untie the shotline from the shotbag every single time you switch over..... Me prefer to perma-tie the shotline on to a mini biner, and swap the bag for the eyed end of the rope once it gets back to earth. I think this is as boiled -down as it gets.

The biner shown is a BlackDiamond Micron, a miniature version of the Hotwire, and the wire gate is stainless spring steel. There are two micron sizes, use the smallest. I think they cost $4.50 and can be gotten at sporting goods, rock climbing shops and rock gyms. The weight of this piece is pretty much a fly's sneeze and doesn't interfere with the launch or trajectory. -TM-

Originally posted by John Paul Sanborn
I hear Kenny uses a 4 or 6.;)

i keep the 4' around cuz it comes in handy in case i'm standing in the street and have to put the BS on the curb. Actually used it in the tree a few times too, shooting across to other trees etc. :blush:

Good idea Ken, more people should keep thier "BS" on the curb ;)
Originally posted by TheTreeSpyder
i keep the 4' around cuz it comes in handy in case i'm standing in the street and have to put the BS on the curb. Actually used it in the tree a few times too, shooting across to other trees etc. :blush:

Back