What are your thoughts on the Chainsaw Buddy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SubVet

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just ordered a Woodland Chainsaw Buddy from Baileys. Has anyone ever used one?

What do you think about this plan? I cut about 15 -20 cords of firewood in NE PA a year. Mostly logged areas (tops). I just bought a 460 and Istill have my 290. I don't see myslelf using the 290 much anymore. So I was thinking that I would put a long bar 28 or 32 on it with a Chainsaw buddy for cutting up 6" and smaller limbs on the ground. I want the long bar so that I don't have to bend as much. I wouldn't try cutting any real wood with the 290 and a 32" bar. Is this a reasonable plan?

A 460 with a 32" bar is a pretty heavy saw for firewood - more so with one of those buddy things attached. I'd make a saw horse, then you can dump about 20 lengths of timber in there and cut it into 12" lengths - but making 20 logs per cut.

give'em a break guys

first off, welcome to the site. I have not tried one, however, it looks like a well built product. I can't see weight being an issue because the whole thing rests on the ground and keeps your bar out of the dirt. This being said, I would also prefer a saw buck because then yhou're standing straight up. Either way, thanks for sharing with us. I hope it works as well as you hope and it would be kinda cool if you gave us an evaluation of it after using it for a while.

:clap:Welcome to the site!!!:clap:

Some hear knew everything before joining!
Not me!!!!!!!!!!!!! I learn something new every time I jump on!
If it is up your alley for what you are doing, I hope it works!
Would like to hear back after you get it to see how it works!!!!

WELCOME ABOARD teddy.scout

The 460 has a 20" and 25" bar, the majority of my firewood is > 6", I am simply talking about the small stuff.

The question was, has anybody used one used one, and if I was going to put it on a dedicated saw (meaning, mount and leave it on), would the larger bar save me from bending over.

The entire purpose is to minimize how many times I have to handle the wood. Saw horse are pain to drag in the woods, you end up handling the wood more. My goal is to touch the wood 4 times, some wood gets split, and some wood doesn’t get stacked, just dumped in front of the wood burner. So I'm trying to average 4 to 5 times.

1. Cut
2. Load
My truck has a dump bed, so I don't have to unload the wood
3. Stack
4. Throw it in the wood burner

Thanks Teddy,

The buddy wouldn't be put on the 460, it would be put on the 290

Thanks Teddy,

The buddy wouldn't be put on the 460, it would be put on the 290

I get a couple lot clearing jobs locally every once in a while.
The logs are 99% of the time spoken for, But I can usually get back in for the tops. This usually gets me at least 3-5 16' trailer loads from a 2 acre lot.
The logs are 4-10" in diameter. I made a slanted bin-saw horse-crib, that is supported every 18". I stack the logs on this and just buzz down though each support. I have to rebuild it every other year.(I get into the supports here and there.)

I can see it being useful for a person who just cuts wood for personal use.
I am curious how it works out for you???????

:clap:Welcome to the site!!!:clap:

Some hear knew everything before joining!
Not me!!!!!!!!!!!!! I learn something new every time I jump on!
If it is up your alley for what you are doing, I hope it works!
Would like to hear back after you get it to see how it works!!!!

WELCOME ABOARD teddy.scout

Exactly. I came here because I didn't know anything. Still dont know much, but I learn a little everyday. I wondered about those things too, figured it was just a gimmick, but how do you know? I'd like to hear more too after you use it.
I dont see the shame in asking questions, how the hell you supposed to learn anything? :givebeer:

I am curios how this will work aswell. i think the idea has merit but i think it might be hard on the back because of the weight. i would love to see some pics of the setup or even better a video of it in use. My friend has lots of toys he uses when cutting wood ie. 80hp 4wheel drive tractor with bucket, skid steer, and 2 excavators a mini and a bigger Kamastu. He runs the excavator to hold the trees off the ground and i cut WOW we can make some sawdust like that. when i cut by myself it just me my saws and my splitting mall and anything that will make the job easier im all for it.

I'll let you know how it works, I figure worst case I'm out $40. I wasted more on dumber stuff.:cry:

I don't see the negativity some you fellows are trying to make this out to be, but this thread sure did take a turn..

"I figure worst case I'm out $40. I wasted more on dumber stuff"

We've all been there in some way, again I hope it works you... might be onto something good!!! Please post your thoughts when you put that booger in action!!!!

Why not just make a saw horse, if your only going to cut up to smaller than 6".

I don't see how my post was negative, all I did was suggest making a saw horse. By the way I did'nt realize you were going to use it in the woods thats different, I would'nt want to drag a saw horse in the woods with me either.

Welcome to the site New Guy.

Last edited:
I am curios how this will work aswell. i think the idea has merit but i think it might be hard on the back because of the weight. i would love to see some pics of the setup or even better a video of it in use. .

Video is available on the Baileys website. It looks like it would be extremely useful if one had to cut up a lot of wood on asphalt or concrete surfaces.

Weight might not be too bad if (some of) it was made of ally.

I don't see the negativity some you fellows are trying to make this out to be, but this thread sure did take a turn..
!

Jesus... nobody can say anything but..."good job", "yes", "its great" or similar or idiots like you come in and cry all over the place. Dude, shut up. Constructive criticism is a good thing, and thats what is in this thread.

Some of you people need to take the diaper off and quit whining. No wonder most the veterans of this site left.

"give'em a break guys"

"Some hear knew everything before joining!"

Hey Bowtie.. maybe your "veteran" #ss needs to leave to..The above was said, I took it as a Negative to what has been said prior to...What was negative about anything said???? I just simply wrote were is the negativity .. Nobody has answered except you smart @ss remark. Now who's the Idiot!!!!

So don't come at me with silly stuff, your probable the one wearing depends anyway...

Back