What are your thoughts on the Chainsaw Buddy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"give'em a break guys"

"Some hear knew everything before joining!"

Hey Bowtie.. maybe your "veteran" #ss needs to leave to..The above was said, I took it as a Negative to what has been said prior to...What was negative about anything said???? I just simply wrote were is the negativity .. Nobody has answered except you smart @ss remark. Now who's the Idiot!!!!

So don't come at me with silly stuff, your probable the one wearing depends anyway...

I rest my case.

i just watched the video on the baileys site. If you were set us somewhere that had lots of smaller straight stuff i could see the thing working very well.

I just ordered a Woodland Chainsaw Buddy from Baileys. Has anyone ever used one?
nope, not I
What do you think about this plan? I cut about 15 -20 cords of firewood in NE PA a year. Mostly logged areas (tops). I just bought a 460 and Istill have my 290. I don't see myslelf using the 290 much anymore. So I was thinking that I would put a long bar 28 or 32 on it with a Chainsaw buddy for cutting up 6" and smaller limbs on the ground. I want the long bar so that I don't have to bend as much. I wouldn't try cutting any real wood with the 290 and a 32" bar. Is this a reasonable plan?
Don't know how well it will work with a long bar, it seems you might have to bend over to hook the limb, but after that it looks good. Plus it will be handy for sharpening the chain, like a stump vise

And please disregard the nambering ninnies. This forum brings out the worst.

/edit
PLEASE post results and pictures!!

Last edited:
Video is available on the Baileys website. It looks like it would be extremely useful if one had to cut up a lot of wood on asphalt or concrete surfaces.

Weight might not be too bad if (some of) it was made of ally.
that's what I'm thinking, I can see it's advantages if using it on small wood, it would keep the chain off the hard surface.......

I got a chainsaw buddy for christmas a couple of years ago and put it on a homelite 410 with a 18" bar. It does work as advertised. The only problem I had was the part that pinches the bar would loosen up and shift occasionally. It is well made, and I am more likely to cut the small stuff up now rather than brush piling it. I would probably put it on the 290, the long bar does sound pretty heavy.

I was going to try it on the 20" bar before I bought a new bar for it. Would I still need to bend down as much with the longer bar? The video makes it seem like I would.

As far as loosening up. Could I drill the bar and through bolt it?

Chainsaw buddy report

So a couple of years back I thought it looked like a good idea and I bought one for cleaning up some branches on some stuff I was taking down.

It is my opinion that these things work as advertised and work well in the conditions you describe where all the wood is already on the ground.

My report and and issues.

Kind of a pain to put on and take off if you only have one saw. You've addressed this as I did by mounting it and leaving it on an additional saw.

If everything isn't on the ground the chainsaw buddy gets in the way if you are trying to limb stuff off a tree.

I didn't try mine on a longer bar so I still had to bend over. It did add some weight to the saw and unbalance it some but I see this being negated by your use of a longer bar. Since your saw will be somewhat heavier than what I was using I don't think the additional weight will cause any problems.

Where this thing really pays for itelf is you don't have to handle all the wood as many times. On the short pieces that tend to ride up the chain on occasion, it allows you to cut these without having to put your foot on them for a brace making for a safer operation.

Although I haven't used mine for awhile I consider it a useful tool in the right conditions. They are well built and work as advertised. Keeps the chain out of the dirt well which may or may not be an issue with some.

Could I live without it, most likely, but I'd give one a try if I were cutting the type of wood you describe.

Thought seriously about the Chainsaw Buddy for firewood ( not for other harvesting ) since I use branches down to +/- 2" , especially rare oaks here Downeast.

The method without the Chainsaw Buddy tool that works for us is to start limbing from the crown down to the trunk taking smaller twigs and branches first dropped as a cutting bed for the larger ones. Then you have a base to cut the saved branches in the 2" range. It works since we're usually cutting in snow, or frozen ground.

Since I need two saws out with me when cutting, I don't want a device on the usually small saw that needed to be undone. Any tool that saves work is fine. Good ideas that work are rare. My choice years ago was the discovery of Pferd SharpForce sharpener that does the edge and raker in one pass. Better than silicone implants. :confused:

Hey, why do too many sandbox people get so bent out of shape ? It's all opinion. Relax. No I.E.D.'s online. No one shooting at you. You will come down for breakfast tomorrow. Besides, it is lonely being correct all the time. :dizzy:

I have a TON of dumber stuff. You need any?:blob2::hmm3grin2orange:

I think I'm at least a silver metal holder in the "dumb stuff" category, that said, I could see the advantage of the chainsaw buddy, it beats throwing the branch in the air and cutting it "skeet" style!

i bought one because i saw the video and was impressed with the idea of it too. Got it shipped to UK along with a lot of other stuff to make it worth my while and bolted it on to my old homelite xl.

But after trying it out for a few cuts.. i noticed that it seemed to have shifted slightly on the bar and i really didnt like that- it made me uneasy to think what if it shifted and made contact with the chain. So i made my big mistake and tightened it quite a bit more to make doubly sure. i didnt notice what it said in the instructions about overtightening because.. i jst didnt read them!

next thing i know one of the bolts is turning and turning and turning without really getting tighter. Idiot that i was- i went and cracked it. its just diecast after all. If you look at my blurry photo youll see a fine white line extending out from the horseshoe shaped opening roughly in the centre of the photo.

attachment.php

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=124390&stc=1&d=1265578687

Its not unsalvageable. theres room to redrill through the body of the buddy as it is only cracked and not completely split. maybe put a couple thin long bolts through to hold it together. But i also think i might consider using it with an old bar and actually drill holes in the bar to install it permenently. relying on a couple of wee allen bolts pressing down on the bar to hold this pretty heavy contraption while you gun your saw, picking up the branches and in turn them slamming into the stops? hmm id rather sacrifice an old bar and have it bolted through.

This might seem like a negative review.. but its not. i cracked it due to being too heavy handed and not reading the instructions. The idea of it is good and it does work but i think it needs a little added modification to securely mount it

Latest posts

Back