The E-85 saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsmith40004

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A while back I asked a few questions about setting a saw up for ethanol and like I expected, most people said it would do nothing but give troubles. I went ahead and built an old p-42 pioneer I bought off ebay with some new parts I had and parts off of another donor saw.

I ported it with the exhaust opening at 98* ATDC and the transfers at 120* ATDC. This meant raising the exhaust .110 and raising the transfers .050 as 7.5 thousandths equaled 1*. I haven't milled the cylinder .060 and cut a .075 pop-up on the piston yet so I only have 127 pounds of compression.

I ran the saw after porting an gas at 16:1 with a wj series and the needle settings were 1 1/4 L 3/4 H. I drilled a Tillitson HS carb that would have been right for methanol, and it was way to big for E-85. The wj went back on, stock, and the settings went to 2 1/4 L, 1 3/4 H. Both sides 1 turn out from the gas settings.

I thought this was odd so I had to try it in a ported 036 I have with 207 psi, again exactly one turn out for both sides of the carb. Interesting.

Back on the subject, the old pioneer gained 1400 rpm, consistently on ethanol even with the low compression it has. When I get to machining and the compression raises I have the gut feeling that it will become a greater amount.

I've put 3 gallon of fuel through it so far and it hasn't shown any signs of problems yet. I even left fuel in the tank and didn't notice any ill effects. I also found out that the black new style replacement fuel line for a Stihl TS400 is alcohol compatible and sold by the foot at any dealer if anybody cares.

Now the down side, this saw is a fuel hog. Could almost run two tanks of fuel to one tank of bar oil. If the temperature got below 15*, it had to be primed to ever start with gas mix. It is cold natured, even worse than pioneers were to start with.

In conclusion, this is a fun project saw but I wouldn't use it in an everyday saw that I made a living with as the fuel consumption is so great. Besides, with the Klotz and the alcohol no one could stand to be around you for very long even though I personally like the smell.

James

I raised the port to get my port timing to where I wanted it. This was built as strictly an alcohol saw and they need more blowdown.

The original plan was to mill the cylinder, I just haven't been to dad's where the lathe is to do it.

I was really shocked that the compression is as high as it is. I could not remove the base gasket as there was zero squish without it.

I'm not going to give rpm or cut times until I'm done with the saw but, in 12" oak it will outcut my BB 6401 Makita 1 1/2 blocks to 1. The pioneer did it all afternoon long.

This saw is not completed and I expect it to run much better after it is finished.

James

These old pioneers are heavy built everywhere. There is .160 over the ring land. After cutting it will leave .085, a little less than everyones .100 that they want to have but, I believe it will be all right.

James

When I remove the base gasket and do the milling I'll gain 4* more to a total of 94*. That's about all I feel comfortable going on a work/play saw.

James

Did the math wrong in my head and was thinking of another saw that I'm working on. Looked at my notes from when I figured it.

.015 base gasket removal
.075 pop-up on .060 cut
The timing won't change any.

Sorry
James

Latest posts

Back