Husky 346NE P&C on 350.WARNING !

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roncoinc

Official Stihl Disser
Reaction score
Current project is a badly scored 350.. bought one of the aftermarket P&C kits for it and was very satisfied for the price..
with some help from here gave it a mild port job and started putting it together..
installing the intake boot i found the rubber nipple in the boot did not want to seat all the way in the hole in the cyl..a little drill work of the proper size fixed that,something to be aware of..
One of the other things was the base bolt holes were not perfect,almost felt like the bolts were stripping,a little work on the holes with an ols chain file fixed that..
the worst thing was the rubber intake mounting to the cyl..after snapping the plastic clamp close i noticed a LOT of loosness ! i mean possible air leak kind of loose.. could be the reason the 350 melted down to start with ??
on my 357 i replaced the plastic clamp with the metal one husky has..
this one is a little differant so with a dremel and a cutoff wheel,bending the rubber boot out of the way i eliminated it so i can use a real clamp..not a screw type radiator hose clamp but a real one like the 357 replacement clamp..now i can seat the boot properly,all the way on and clamp it tight..
may be a spot to check for loosness if you have a 350..
heres a pic if the boot with it cut off..

attachment.php

Another thing i found was the groove for the impulse was almost non existant,again,the dremmel with a small bit to make sure pressure could pass..
picture of what i mean..

attachment.php

the only other stuff i have found so far,tnx to "search" and whoever posted it was clearance of the port bulge on the clutch side..the cyl touches so again,dremmel took care of that..
before and after pix..

attachment.php

attachment.php

of course i eliminated the limiter tabs on the carb and did a muffler mod..
that is all i have found so far that may be a little glitchy putting an aftermarket 346NE cyl on a 350... the rest of it looks prety straight foreward..

I want to thank everybody for the info i found using the "search" function relating to this project and for responding to the thread i had asking for porting advice on this cyl..

Current project is a badly scored 350.. bought one of the aftermarket P&C kits for it and was very satisfied for the price..
with some help from here gave it a mild port job and started putting it together..
installing the intake boot i found the rubber nipple in the boot did not want to seat all the way in the hole in the cyl..a little drill work of the proper size fixed that,something to be aware of..
One of the other things was the base bolt holes were not perfect,almost felt like the bolts were stripping,a little work on the holes with an ols chain file fixed that..
the worst thing was the rubber intake mounting to the cyl..after snapping the plastic clamp close i noticed a LOT of loosness ! i mean possible air leak kind of loose.. could be the reason the 350 melted down to start with ??
on my 357 i replaced the plastic clamp with the metal one husky has..
this one is a little differant so with a dremel and a cutoff wheel,bending the rubber boot out of the way i eliminated it so i can use a real clamp..not a screw type radiator hose clamp but a real one like the 357 replacement clamp..now i can seat the boot properly,all the way on and clamp it tight..
may be a spot to check for loosness if you have a 350..
heres a pic if the boot with it cut off..

attachment.php

Another thing i found was the groove for the impulse was almost non existant,again,the dremmel with a small bit to make sure pressure could pass..
picture of what i mean..

attachment.php

the only other stuff i have found so far,tnx to "search" and whoever posted it was clearance of the port bulge on the clutch side..the cyl touches so again,dremmel took care of that..
before and after pix..

attachment.php

attachment.php

of course i eliminated the limiter tabs on the carb and did a muffler mod..
that is all i have found so far that may be a little glitchy putting an aftermarket 346NE cyl on a 350... the rest of it looks prety straight foreward..

I want to thank everybody for the info i found using the "search" function relating to this project and for responding to the thread i had asking for porting advice on this cyl..

I just wanted to respond to your post saying that your pics are not showing up. Instead I'm getting the red X. What I found missing was the (www.)arboristsite.com in the pic code. FYI

I just wanted to respond to your post saying that your pics are not showing up. Instead I'm getting the red X. What I found missing was the (www.)arboristsite.com in the pic code. FYI

Funny,,they show up for me and in your response ? WTH ??
btw,didnt you get the dolmar trigger and linkage i sent ??

i can't see them in the OP but i can in the copy.

i used a radiator clamp on a 345 without any problem. this is not the same hose clamp that you get from HD to fix you leaky pipe. it came from NAPA and cost about $4.

i can't see them in the OP but i can in the copy.

i used a radiator clamp on a 345 without any problem. this is not the same hose clamp that you get from HD to fix you leaky pipe. it came from NAPA and cost about $4.

Yeh,not the screw threaded ones,,the ones with the nut and bolt,rite ?

I've got a 350 down right now...fried. Same thing on the intake boot. I plan on using a Stihl boot clamp after cutting the plastic junk off. I got a piston kit for it from Bailey's and it didn't have a ring in it...called them they said "no problem it's on the way" that was two weeks ago. I called them again today and they had no record of our conversation two weeks ago. Great thing is they told me "no problem it's on the way" again, but this time I think it really is. This is the first time I've ever had a problem with them on anything. Stuff has to happen to someone sometimes...it's just my time.:)

my 350

Hi a month or two ago I put one of the 346 p&c kits on my down 350. I dont know if it was the way I installed them or what but after about a half a tank through it the thing DIED. After one pull I knew something was shot. it had no compression. Come to find out the wrist pin clip had broke smack dab in half and gouged the new **** worse than the old. I got a new piston and went back to the cleaned up oem cylinder and its got 150 psi now.

Just dont know if the cheap kit I bought had some screwed up clips or what but another thing to watch for.

Nice report, and I believe you thanks (regarding searched up info) belong to Spike60....

One comment; I believe the boot clamp issue has to do with the age of the saw, and not the model.

Nice report, and I believe you thanks (regarding searched up info) belong to Spike60....

One comment; I believe the boot clamp issue has to do with the age of the saw, and not the model.

Mr. ST, i think i am going to heed some warnings i have heard about the aftermarket piston pin keepers/circlips failing and use OEM.
No husky dealers around here have them in stock,part# 737441000 .
was wondering what the Jonsered equivelant was ??
tnx.

Is this one of the 346/350 p&c kits off ebay? I am currently working on one for my 346 and just wondering if it's the same. I believe the seller is kafar or something like that.

is this one of the 346/350 p&c kits off ebay? I am currently working on one for my 346 and just wondering if it's the same. I believe the seller is kafar or something like that.

bingo !!

Yeh,not the screw threaded ones,,the ones with the nut and bolt,rite ?

no, it is the screw threaded type, but i have never seen one this "healthy." the band part of the clamp is about twice as thick as i am used to seeing on a HD equivalent. this gives the threads on the screw plenty of engagement. and the screw and its housing are heavy duty.

update !

Putting this info back in this thread i had already started..
got all the parts together to finish this project..
found the stock wrist pin circlips NOT good !! almost fell out..the ones that came with the kit should work fine,hard as hell to get in ! fit nice and snug :)
cut off the plastic keeper on the intake boot and used a stihl clamp,much better..can be seen in the pic.
hondabond on the crankcase and cyl base.
pretty straight foreward job... only took a couple hours..
pix of assembly..

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

It runs !!

FIRED RITE UP..WARMED UP A COUPLE TIMES RUNNING GOOD AND RICH..
tomorrow put er to some wood :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a0GzlkCmci0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a0GzlkCmci0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I got to really use mine yesterday in some hickory, and the thing is a fast 50cc saw. I really liked it before I blew it up to start with. makes a nice limber and small branch saw.

I got to really use mine yesterday in some hickory, and the thing is a fast 50cc saw. I really liked it before I blew it up to start with. makes a nice limber and small branch saw.

Did you put the 346NE P&C on your 350 ?

with a full woods ported 346 top end it should be usefull for more than limbs and small branches ??
I'm thinking 12 to 14 inch hardwood anyway.. my little ryobie does that easy..
well,12 inch anyway easy :)

Sorry,read back and see you did ..
hope the porting i did improves it more..
stock circlips didnt work on mine.clips that came with it impressed me tho for fitting so tight.
tnx..

Latest posts

Back