which maul to buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpncoop

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

I know this topic has been done to death, but I'm currently debating which larger maul I should buy (I have the Fiskars SS for smallish stuff - and it does pretty good with bigger stuff too).... I've been trying to decide between:

Bailey's Monster Mule Maul
Stihl PA 80 maul
Snow and Nealley 8 lb maul

I was leaning towards the mule maul, since I'll likely only need it to bust up really tough stuff. Right now I'm using wedges and a sledge for bigger stuff....

6lb maul with hickory handle (ACE, Southern States, etc.) - easiest on the body and most effective.

For noodling on big rounds or splitting for smaller stuff (not OWB sizes) I really like any flavor splitting axe (4lb head). I have one really long red handled one from Lowes and another one from Southern states. I don't get too excited about the Fiskars - but there are folks who are religious about them. A decent splitting axe of just about any make will serve you well.

- Moster maul - no. I own one and find it takes too high a toll on my joint.
- 8lb maul, good for the hardest jobs but still not ideal for long periods of splitting

By the way, it really is hard to beat the wedges and 8# sledge. Your back will handle that 8# tool for a lot more swings than the monster maul and you will find it is ultimately more productive as a result. Stick with the wedges and sledge for the big rounds and go for the 6# maul for the other stuff.

I like an 8lbs maul. 6lbs is too small for me.

I went and bought one of the those super heavy big mauls last year. It was too damn heavy. It did help in some pieces where I would have had to use a wedge. I hate to use a wedge.

I have my swing down on a 8lbs maul and I guess it is what you are used to.

Over the years I have used the Monster maul, an 8 lb. maul and a 6 lb. maul. Nowdays, most often I will pick up the 6 lb. maul with the hickory handle. I just seem to split better with it than the heavier units. If I can't split it with the 6 lb. it gets cut up into chunk wood or thrown on the log splitter pile. At 52 years of age I don't need to kill myself to keep a piece of wood from beating me anymore. For large volume splitting the Cub Cadet splitter comes out.

Axe and 8 pounder with wedge

I use the Ludell splitting Axe and the Ludell 8 pound maul and a couple of wedges. I have not tried the monster maul but would like to for an afternoon to see how they work. Both the maul and the Axe have treated me OK so far but in the last few weeks the head on the maul is getting a little loose. I think some JB weld may correct that problem. But I have a spare so I have not tried it yet.

Good luck on what you decide to get.

I gave my monster maul away. I know some swear by them, and say that you don't actually have to swing it, you just have to lift it and let it drop, but I found that the extra momentum you can generate swinging a 6# maul fast to be far more effective than the sheer mass of the MM, and less strenuous. I prefer the Fiskars for most splitting because it is the easiest to use and does the job 99% of the time. But sometimes I've got to get the 6# out and really shower down on it.

Jack

I gave my monster maul away. I know some swear by them, and say that you don't actually have to swing it, you just have to lift it and let it drop, but I found that the extra momentum you can generate swinging a 6# maul fast to be far more effective than the sheer mass of the MM, and less strenuous. I prefer the Fiskars for most splitting because it is the easiest to use and does the job 99% of the time. But sometimes I've got to get the 6# out and really shower down on it.

Jack

I gave up the monster maul because I felt like it was gradually dislocating my shoulder(s).

I posted this in another thread, so I will make this quick. I have both the stihl 80 and the mule maul. Stihl is good, just overpriced (paying for the name). The mule maul works, but because of the blunt head, sometimes it just cracks the log. You can then finish it off with a smaller maul or wedges. It is a tough maul to keep swinging especially if you are a smaller person. Also, the handle was too short, so I welded an extension on. You may or may not need to. I recommend trying it out first though if you can. Back to the stihl, there are mauls that are as good, or close to, that you can buy for considerably less. I worked mine into a deal with a 660, otherswise, would've purchased another brand.

"Back to the stihl, there are mauls that are as good, or close to, that you can buy for considerably less. "

Which ones would you reccommend? Thanks for the help....

"Back to the stihl, there are mauls that are as good, or close to, that you can buy for considerably less. "

Which ones would you reccommend? Thanks for the help....

I like my true temper super splitter the most at 6 lbs. which you can get at lowes i believe, but my brother has the 8 lb maul (yellow fiberglass handle) which works well also and you can get it from bailey's. I personally like a fiberglass, or synthetic, handle over wood. But that is just my personal preference.

websites:

www.lowes.com Couldn't find it on the website, but if you go to www.ames.com and look at their catalog, you will see it. I know lowes still has them, was just there this weekend and there was a rack full of them. They cost around $35.00

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=15745&catID=

I like my true temper super splitter the most at 6 lbs. which you can get at lowes i believe, but my brother has the 8 lb maul (yellow fiberglass handle) which works well also and you can get it from bailey's. I personally like a fiberglass, or synthetic, handle over wood. But that is just my personal preference.

websites:

www.lowes.com Couldn't find it on the website, but if you go to www.ames.com and look at their catalog, you will see it. I know lowes still has them, was just there this weekend and there was a rack full of them. They cost around $35.00

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=15745&catID=

That is an awesome tool - the True Temper super splitter with a wavy handle - it is extra long (nice for me at 6'4" tall) and light enough to really put some velocity on.

I have a Monster Maul and feel it was money that I could have spent way better on something else. It is heavy, but it just bounces right back at me when it hits the log.

I can split more with my SS than that monster maul.

I have the stihl and like it but the ss does the same thing. I also have 2 hyfraulics to so if the ss doesn't get it the gas powered will. IMO stihl mauls and splitting axes are way overpriced!

I use this 6 lb Collins Maul. I bought it at Ace Hardware last fall. They had a 50% off sale one Saturday and I got this one for $15. Great tool.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
I used to split with a 6lb, then an 8lb, tried differant shapes, had a 10 lb. then got a monster maul and learned how to use it. None of the smaller mauls would split the tough wood near as well as the monster for me and I got rid of most of them. I have 3 or 4 monster mauls and when I'm into a lot of cutting I like to have 1 in each vehicle but since I got the Fiskars I don't use the monsters much. I find monster mauls an big asset knocking out pieces from stumps when metal or something is inside them and you need to get the stump out . I usually use the chainsaw in clean wood that doesn't want to split with the fiskars now due to a beaten up body of almost 52 years myself.

I use this 6 lb Collins Maul. I bought it at Ace Hardware last fall. They had a 50% off sale one Saturday and I got this one for $15. Great tool.

attachment.php

attachment.php

That factory is just down the street and around the corner from me, in fact, part of the old church I go to is held up by the old grinding stones, looks like a bunch of tires from the Flintstones cartoon.

Weapon of choice

Personally, I`ve found that a maul is very similar to a baseball bat.You need to know how to swing it.A 6lb. maul in capable hands is a very awsome tool.I can do some serious damage to cut up chunks.I did buy a splitter now that I`m in my 40`s. I still like to show off once in a while.For the young guys, a 6lb maul with hickory handle from any hardware store should be your weapon of choice.;)

Here is another vote for the Fiskars splitting maul.

I went through a couple of the ones from Lowes, and TSC. They barely lasted a year. The fiberglass handles all seem to come loose from the head. Wooden handles just crack over time, but should last longer than the fiberglass ones.

I took the plunge, and shucked out the money for the Fiskars. It is now on its second season, and not showing any signs of coming loose. It also splits much better than any other maul I have used. It is a bit lighter, but I guess that is part of what makes it work so well. That and the shape/design of the head. I have not tried a monster maul, but various other mauls of shapes, and weights. As a bonus there is a lifetime guarantee on the Fiskars handle. What more could you ask for?

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Latest posts

Back