New to me Makita DCS6401

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsearcey

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I followed up on some advice from MasiMan (You da Man!) and checked out my local HomeDepot tool rental locations and found one with two 6401s for sale. I got one of them for $141. They even threw in the tool kit. They only had one manual though so I'll have to find it online. It's 3 years old and has been rented out for a total of 86 days. It has a new HD labeled bar (not sure what brand) on it and new safety chain (which will be replaced and kept as spare). It definitely has some cosmetic wear on it, but it started right up and seems to run strong. The other one they have is $181. I almost bought it too. I was just kidding around with the guys up there about bringing it to them for maintenance and they pretty much said sure. That's awesome.

So...what do you guys think. Good buy? I've been reading up on them and think I will be upgrading with the NWP BigBore from Baileys. Or should I go with an OEM parts upgrade? The difference between the two is around $100. Anybody who has some advice about the saw please let me know.

Now I just need to find something to cut. chainsawguy:

That is a good deal. I paid ~250 for mine, but it had only 20 rentals and is barely used. Great saw, but it is a little underpowered, IMO. I plan to add a new top end to it within the next few months. THere has been a lot said about this conversion in the chainsaw forum. Most of the people who have gotten the big bore kit seem to like it, but there have been a few problems with quality control. Having said that, Bailey's has been GREAT with customer service and support for their product and make the situation right. Some people claim that the Dolmar cylinder is so good that the extra $80 is absolutely worth it. Post your question over there and get a box of popcorn and watch the show.

BTW - I converted the safety chain to non-safety chain with the help of a grinder. Worked very well and now I has two non-safety semi-chisel chains that cut well.

Thanks Mike. Yeah I was thinking about grinding those tabs off between the teeth. Good to hear someone has tried it and it came out good. I'll take a look over on the chainsaw forum for the top end upgrade.

Just use a little care with the grinder and it works well. I got two new chains with my saw and did it to both of them. Have fun with it.:clap:

If the chain has the Tri-link logo on it (three interlocked Os), just toss it in the trash. It's cheap Chinese chain and not worth your time. HD used to use Carlton, but figured they could save a buck...

for $181 I will buy it and pay for your time and shipping. I stop by my local HD's monthly and they never part with theirs anymore. I have a BB kit in mine and love it. IMO the BB is the way to go. It really wakes up the saw. I think I paid about $140 for my kit. I'ld pay that again every few years if I had to just because some guys think the reliability of the Baileys kit is suspect. I say BS. Take some time and look it over before you install it.

Awesome deal! I LOVE my 'kita. I think it has plenty of power....but have thought of putting the big bore kit on it, but it starts up and runs great every time I bring it out...which is a lot.

I keep looking at the HDs in the area to try to pick up a new used one, then I can justify putting the big bore kit on the old one. I always want to have one good, reliable saw ready to go.

I've not had much opportunity to use the saw yet. I did get to go at a stump with it though and it was awesome. It was a red oak stump probably about 24" where I was cutting. The only time the Makita slowed down was when I let off of the throttle. Man I really think I'm going to like using this saw over my poulan.

I haven't gotten the hang of starting it yet though. I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing wrong, but each time I've tried to start it takes me 15 or more pulls. I thought that something could be wrong, until my neighbor came over and on a cold start got it going in two pulls. He didn't do anything I hadn't already done, it just worked for him. I would like to get the compression checked just to see what it is.

Congrats!!! I love my 6400 and the fact you got yours for $141 is sweet. I wish my local Home Repot had a rental program.

I've not had much opportunity to use the saw yet. I did get to go at a stump with it though and it was awesome. It was a red oak stump probably about 24" where I was cutting. The only time the Makita slowed down was when I let off of the throttle. Man I really think I'm going to like using this saw over my poulan.

I haven't gotten the hang of starting it yet though. I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing wrong, but each time I've tried to start it takes me 15 or more pulls. I thought that something could be wrong, until my neighbor came over and on a cold start got it going in two pulls. He didn't do anything I hadn't already done, it just worked for him. I would like to get the compression checked just to see what it is.

I'd guess you are missing the pop when it is choked. It can be very slight and easily missed.

It's possble, but even if I did when I pushed the choke in I would think it would have started for me. I don't know.

Congrats!!! I love my 6400 and the fact you got yours for $141 is sweet. I wish my local Home Repot had a rental program.

I looked around for mine. I happened to be traveling to a different area of the state and called ahead. They had a few, but weren't sure of when they were going on sale. I called a few times, stopped by once - gave them number to call me, and a few days later the guy calls and tells me it is on sale and he would hold it for me if I wanted it. It just happened that I was heading back there in a few days and they held it on my word until I got there. Gave me two new carlton chains, some oil, and bar cover. Overall, I was happy with the deal, but it did take persistance and a bit of luck.

It's possble, but even if I did when I pushed the choke in I would think it would have started for me. I don't know.

If you miss the pop, you may flood it, requiring the extra pulls. IDK - just a guess. My only complaint with the saw is that it lacks the torque I am used to with my 038 mag. But, once I put the new top end on it, it should be better.

Good point. I should probably take out the spark plug to see if it could be getting fouled. Although my neighbor was the last to crank it and he got it to start right up.

I keep telling myself that, but my better half won't understand and will result in a lot of unwanted deliberation. That's putting it in a nice way. :angrysoapbox:

mine takes about 4 pulls to "pop"when dead cold and not used in a while. Use the decomp and when it pops back out, it should be ready to push the choke in.

Get a full chisel chain on that thing and get ready for a big grin...and the thought...man I shoulda done this sooner!!

Ok...is that what was meant by "pop". I was waiting for the chainsaw to sputter on full choke and then push the choke in to get it to fire. Man I kept cranking that cord and pushing the decomp button back in because it would pop out, but I still hadn't gotten any signs of life. I'm sure I did flood it.

10-4 on the chain.

Did like you guys said and pushed in the decomp button, full choke. 3 pulls and the button popped out. Pushed the choke in, pushed the decomp in, pulled it and she started right up. Awesome!

Back