Chainsaw Ignition Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes you can swap them as long as the capacitance's microfarad value is the same. In short terms it has to put out as much as the orig spec one Like 0.20-0.24 microfarad...Bob

Last edited:
So if you don't have a way of measuring the capacitance then you won't know if it will work or not?

Chainsaw shop manuals have the values you need when checking the condensers. I got my number for my example from my Echo book here at my desk. I will see if i can find anymore for other saws...Bob

If the condenser works, it will probably work in the chainsaw ignition. If the capacitance of the condenser is not matched pretty precisely with the inductance of the coil then the points might burn more rapidly due to arcing, or the spark might not be a strong without the condenser "pushing" the charge back though.

All in all, I don't think you would see too much of a difference except in some high performance applications.

Mark

I haven't tried, but my logic tells me it should work OK. I have used auto condensers on lawn mower engines and they ran fine. The chances of one saw needing to see a wildly different capacitance than another is small IMO.

But, it may not run as good as it would if the correct value could be found.

Does anyone know of one that would work in place of one for a mac125? I would rather be able to get one locally instead of having to order one.

Thanks everyone. Let me look through my junk first, Mark. If I can't find one that will work, I'll let you know.

The wrong capacitance rating of a condenser won't prevent it from working, but will cause more rapid erosion of one or the other of the contact points. The right rating minimizes the arcing at the points, prolonging their life. There is a rule (which I don't remember) that tells which contact burns if the value is too high or too low.

Back