Anyone try the SOLO 637 top handle yet?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyM

TonyM

ArboristSite Guru
I see Solo has increased the displacement of the 633 top handle to 40cc, and called it a 637. Seems they changed a few ergonomic control related issue as well. Rated at 2.6Hp and 7.7lbs, I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions on the model.

Solo 637

NYSawBoss

NYSawBoss

ArboristSite Operative
It has been a good 5 months since someone posted this. I was wondering if in that time somebody has used the Solo 637. I'm contemplating it for a backup saw. I've heard good things about the 633 as well as far as price and reliability. Can't find a dealer for anything though up here. Any help would be appreciated.

tony

NYSawBoss

NYSawBoss

ArboristSite Operative
Of course you would be the one to say that.....ahahahaha. Weren't you in search of the MS200 killer Butch?? I think I caught an early post of yours inquiring about the Dolmar PS-3300TH. What a piece of $@%^. There are other saws out there now. From what I've heard the displacement on the Solo 637 is an uninhibited 40cc's. By the numbers that should kick the MS200T's butt.

tony

rahtreelimbs

rahtreelimbs

A.K.A Rotten Tree Limbs
. AS Supporting Member.
Amoungst My Saws........Fool That Has Too Many!!!
Tony, I ran the 637 briefly when I got just to make sure that it was OK. It has good torque, but saying it should be an "MS200 Killer" is a long stretch! The 200 has been and will be the benchmark for top-handle saws for a while. The price of the used 637 was the reason I bought it.

Given the the choice of having to buy "one" top-handle saw the MS 200 would be my choice!

I also like to try new saws..........someone has too...........given that, the 637 was a cool buy!

NYSawBoss

NYSawBoss

ArboristSite Operative
So you wouldn't suggest even checking it out on my part Rich?? Unfortunately I don't make enough loot to be curious about new saws. It sucks that I will probably have to purchase another "benchmark" saw which I did already own. Oh well.....I thought it looked like a cool purchase that 637.

V....I'm doing great. Summer is finally here in New York and as usual I'm loving it. How's everything down in the land of 180% humidity??

tony

rahtreelimbs

rahtreelimbs

A.K.A Rotten Tree Limbs
. AS Supporting Member.
Amoungst My Saws........Fool That Has Too Many!!!
Tony, I am not saying not to buy a 637. I am saying that the 200 is a better saw. I have better than a years time on a Solo 633 so I knew what I was getting into. See if you can demo one. Given the choice, I would be very skeptical on buying a new 637. At $400 or so dollars that is a lot to gamble on a hunch. I bought my 633 for $180 and the 637 ( which had under 5 tanks of fuel thru it) for $250. I knew the owner of the 633 and the 637 was owned briefly by a friend of the 633 owner. I got good deals on both of them.

Just get the 200 you can't beat the track record of that saw!

NYSawBoss

NYSawBoss

ArboristSite Operative
yes I did....but I'm not getting rid of my 338. I wanted a backup saw that wasn't the same as my primary. If I buy another 200T I guess I'm buying another primary saw. Oh well.......what are you going to do???

tony

Latest posts