jonsered 670 question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedge

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
whats the difference between a 670 super and a 670 champ? also anyone got an air filter and cover for one?

The difference is the super is rated at around 4.5HP I think, while the champ is rated at 4.9 HP stock. the reason for the hp differences is the porting configuration.

As far as I know, the only difference between the Super and Champ is the name and time of manufacture. I think the Super was simply renamed Champ after people started winning world championships with it........

For some reason, 670 air filter covers & the

bar side plates are hard to come by. I check out every Jonsered, especially 670, ebay listing. Seems like every parts saw is missing the AF cover &/or the bar plate. Cutting & drilling a bar plate wouldn't be that difficult with the right equipment, except the chain brake is built into it. Anyone ever molded, or at least tried to mold, an AF cover?

i repaired 2 using fiber glass mesh ad resin with good results. but the one i need now is broke in half with half missing a new one costs a shade over 20 bux. i have 6 jonny 670s that need one thing or another and today i started comparing them, the regular and the supers i have look the same but i have one that has champ stickers on it and it appears slightly larger. a cover off a regular 670 or a super wont fit on that champ. the width it right and the rear studs that it rides on (that hold the filter cover down) are right in the rear but the front screw hole is an inch too short to fit on that champ. without breaking out a ruler it even looks bigger. the muffler is different but similar the clutch is even different than the others.

p.s. the starter covers wont even interchange due to the offset of the part that engages the dogs on the flywheel. the champ i have came from old saw addict last year maybe he knows somthin i dont.

I've found differences between my West Coast

(thankfully I found everything that it needed) & the Champ parts saw. With the Jred 670 regarded as such a good saw, why would Jred make make the models with such differences? Sure makes scrounging up parts a PITA. Thanks, Wedge, for the info that you provided.

you need parts let me know i have a few of em sittin around and i desperatley need a clutch cover (one off a 268 or equivalent will work with a little modification.)

The 670 was made over a very long period of time (about 1982 to 1999, I think), and there was several changes made during that period, that had little to do with which model it was....
There was also changes in spesifications, the champ starting out at 3.6 or 3.7kw and ending up at 3.4, I think.

My info is based on earlier treads at this forum, CSCC and an old catalog. Don't shoot me if I am wrong! :alien:

Sure sounds like I need to take my running West Coast & two parts saws, & figure out which parts interchange & which don't. I saw a 670 bring a pretty good price on eBayware yesterday. Hmm....maybe I need to put together another functioning saw.

ebay is a good bet they sell strong there but theyre a good saw that sells good everywhere.

Wedge, I can't say this for certain, but I'd almost be willing to bet that here in Houston a beat up Stihl or Husky would get more attention than a good condition Jonsered. Of course there might be a few folks that would actually realize that a Jred 670 is a good saw.

I keep my eyes open :Eye: :Eye: , but I see almost no Jreds here. There's a certain Jred 'sleeper' that I'm hoping to find. Forgive me for not mentioning the model # ;) .

jreds used to be popular here in the adarondacks but somewhere in the mid 80s most of the dealers dissapeared. the gray beards here are fiercely jonny fans but theyre used to the pre electrolux jreds. i order the jred specific parts that i need but most parts can be scabbed off husky saws modified a lil and painted red hence the reason i need a husky clutch cover, just snap off that last part nearest the handle bar and viola instant jre cover my latest trick is trimming the back half off a husky cover to fit for a 670 filter cover (it aint easy being this smart :p ) cmon knot tell me the model johnnyred you want i have more than a few i might have one ;)

Well...since you so artfully twisted my arm. It is my understanding (reading only, no hands-on experience) that the Jred 2161 is the near twin to the much ballyhooed Husky 372XP. So if I were to find a 'sleeper' Jred 2161 or two (especially if parts saws), I could have a black & red 372XP. Or am I just dreaming?

If I were absolutely serious about the above, I never would've mentioned it here. So send me your spare 372XPs, or 2161s.

im kinda lookin for a stihl 056 or a stihl 090 but i think the entire world is lookin for a 090

Latest posts

Back