Hyperdog bigshot at Sam's $20

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

God of ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hyperdog did not work as big shot

Hyperdog slingshot didnot work as bigshot...

sorry about the false alarm. sure looked good..

Last edited:
I encourage your giving it a try, but just for the sake of fun, let me make a couple predictions (based on that I was field-testing something similar to that before the advent of the BigShot)

First, tennis balls are light and require no real 'aim', just pull the sucker back and let 'er rip. With shot bags, your aim (unless it's at toss bag heights or less, at which point you don't need a slingshot) has to be dead on.

When you pull that baby back you may get a little shaky from the tension and it's hard not to have your face directly in line with the shot (use at LEAST safety glasses, better, a helmet w/ face protective screen.)

#3 a real BigShot has a pouch with a tug strap directly beneath the pouch. The shape of the pouch keeps the shotbag from shifting or falling out upon release. Yours it flat strap shaped, not a recessed pouch and your bags will be falling out the side upn release.

Fourth, The furthest you can pull is the distance from hand to hand, a la bow and arrow. This will limit the distance you can fire. A BigShot, on a pole you can pull back twice that distance for shots in the 25 - 30 meter range.

10 oz bags may work for you, but 12 and 14's you get a lot more 'recoil' which, with a pole-mounted BigShot you hardly feel.

Let us know how it goes.

sorry about the false alarm. sure looked good.

I kinda thought that. One of the things that sets the BigShot apart is that it fires 'upside down' or from underneath. This is counterintuitive to how a normal slingshot would be fired, but it works. The design of the BigShot allows this and has proven itself to be an indispensible part of the Arborist's tool arsenal.

I just bought a Big Shot and I'm pretty excited to see how it will improve speed on jobs. I've only fired some Roma tomatoes from my garden so far, but I've got three big Red Oaks to deadwood next week, so that'll be my test. At my old job we'd shoot golf balls at a pond across from the shop. My favorite was finding unruptured paint balls in someone's yard, and firing them at the climber between crane picks. What does OSHA say about that?

KentuckySawyer said:
I just bought a Big Shot and I'm pretty excited to see how it will improve speed on jobs. I've only fired some Roma tomatoes from my garden so far, but I've got three big Red Oaks to deadwood next week, so that'll be my test. At my old job we'd shoot golf balls at a pond across from the shop. My favorite was finding unruptured paint balls in someone's yard, and firing them at the climber between crane picks. What does OSHA say about that?

I have fired off some green walnuts from my orchard about 100 yards with my big shot. There are some crows that roost in a big walnut tree at my neighbors across the street every evening and my son lobs the walnuts in on them like artillary.

I was curious, I have been looking at the bigshot. I have been using a 16oz wight and need to know if this size would be too big for it .[75`-80`high]or would a golf ball and fishing line be better thanks for all help

I Bought one at northern about a yr ago Great for tennis balls.No good for Throw bags.

Well I will concede that I seldom shoot over 60 feet. At that height there is a notable trajectory with a heavy bag. If I were routinely shooting 80 feet I would probably want a 10 or 12 oz bag and small line. For my routine 40-50 foot shots I use 14 or 16 oz bags and 1/8 inch line-which works just dandy.

This old crusty climber that I used to work under used an old monkey wrench for a throw weight on his line. I used to hide when he threw that thing. He was remarkably good with it. Still scary though!

Weights and diameters

Zing-It line comes in two diameters, 1.75 mm and 2.2 mm. I keep two reels, one with each diameter of line because 1) if you get a shotbag stuck in the tree, you've got a backup ready and waiting and 2) I just plain like to try more than one way of skinning any particular cat.

The 1.75 with a 10 oz Harrison Rocket is for the looooOooooong shots and can be counted on to shoot almost a straight line. I find, though, that 10 oz is right at the threshold of being 'too light'; it can sometimes not want to come down the other side of an otherwise perfect shot. The 2.2 mm with a 16oz is my fave for tossing. The in-between weights, regardless of the line diameters are so close in behavior to one another that I hardly notice a difference. The one I will reach for as my steady Eddie is 1.75 with a 14 oz bag, good for throwing or mid-range firing. I don't think there's a combo that's 'best' for all situations. After time and trial you find what works well for you.

Back