Climbing comps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtremetrees

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
What kinda gear is needed to compete? IE split tail req?
What are the standard events?

Im not seeing bro.
Events:
40 ft footlock? set your own throwball?
belayed tree climb?
and ring 5 bells in the tree?
??

How about pull the dead tree with the truck technique?
Heres the pics.

xtremetrees said:
What kinda gear is needed to compete? IE split tail req?
What are the standard events?

The gear required to compete is the same gear we use on a day to day basis. As long as it meets ANSI safety requirements and criteria it is acceptable.

The required gear is
a saddle
lanyard
120 ft rope
handsaw
and all PPE

for the the throwline event you need

a throwline and throwbag or 2

for the footlock event you need

a prussik loop and figure 8 descender

Begely it wont let me load the mpeg of the limb on impact.
Sup dude?:greenchainsaw:

Come on Tom? I'm sure you seen the STIHL timber sport series. They cut all sorts of timber. The hot saw, stock saw, spring board, buck chop is it and the one with the big hand saw thingy. It looked like a lot of hard work from what I saw on TV.

Oh 120' rope? I saw up there for an earlier post. Why a 120' is some sort of a F'ing joke? Why no just climbing line that meets the minimum ansi requirements, what ever that is now is it still of 1/2 diameter and of 5000# breaking strength? You can use what ever length of rope you want. Around here we use 150 and 200 foot climbing lines for our work climb and master's challenge.

BigJohn said:
Oh 120' rope? I saw up there for an earlier post. Why a 120' is some sort of a F'ing joke? Why no just climbing line that meets the minimum ansi requirements, what ever that is now is it still of 1/2 diameter and of 5000# breaking strength? You can use what ever length of rope you want. Around here we use 150 and 200 foot climbing lines for our work climb and master's challenge.

Bigjohn,

you could use a 600'er if you wanted to lug it around. I think the 120' was basically a starter length. A lot would depend on your chapters requirments. Here in the MW, a 120 will work for the work climb. The recommend having a longer piece available if you make the masters. The rope can be whatever as long as it meets industry standards.

Tom Dunlap said:
X,

What competition are you participating in? I've never known of a comp that includes cutting trees apart.
What??? I have never seen one of these kind of competitions so I am at a loss, what do you do up thier if you are not cutting something? This sounds pretty useless, oh wait I forgot, its arborists, not neccesarily workers, doesn't have to make sense. Another thing to mock, too funny, again.

BJ,

The logger games don't use trees, they use poles and logs to whack into bits. Never seen a tree being used to whack into bits.

At the ITCC last summer there were 52 competitors from around the world. There were probably around 150 volunteers that helped out at the ITCC.

Who said, "...the one thing I would ask is that people participating identify thier background and authorized experience in regards to utility work, in other words cards on the table about relevant knowledge." ??? Substitute 'utility' for 'climbing competition' and it fits right in here.

There is at least one, two-time ITCC Champion that is a utility line clearance tree trimmer...and he's also a CA too...along with other certifications. Know who that is? Know who some of the major sponsors of the chapter TCC and ITCC are? Utility line clearance companies. They have plenty of workers and arborists working for them.

Last edited:
clearance said:
What??? I have never seen one of these kind of competitions so I am at a loss, what do you do up thier if you are not cutting something? This sounds pretty useless, oh wait I forgot, its arborists, not neccesarily workers, doesn't have to make sense. Another thing to mock, too funny, again.
Again, what do they do, its not on tv like timbersports so I have never seen it. If they don't cut, what the hell do they do, treework usually involves cutting part of the tree, logging usually involves cutting or choking something. What do these 52 guys do, could you say, or like I think is it something that will make me pee my pants and cry my eyes out when I hear what it is, C'mon Tom tell me.

I think they climb and get into positions as if they were gonna cut a tree clearance. It's like kung-fu training, dont wanna break your fist when you do finally do punch. To bad it seems to be veterans and not totally noob folks, cause the vets already know how pretty much.
It will be nice to compare myself to my peers.
Anytime folks have fallen and gotten killed or paralized like my friend JC no rope was involved in the accident. I think this will be good training for me about ropes.

How high is the throwball?> Should I bring my spikes? Afterwards will they sell beer?:givebeer:

If you've never been to a jamboree you are missing out on an excellant opportunity to further your climbing. True, there's no cutting and log rolling; more focused on finesse/style, safety, etc.
I think, not positive, that there's a comp. coming up in AL next month, probably wouldn't be far from Xtremetrees, depending on what part of GA you're from.

Back