I’m a bit confused about notches

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive had it happen, that's why we say "better safe than sorry" lots of dead ash in our area that should've been cut 5-10 yrs ago, so it be like that sometimes. Glad it went well for ya, be careful out there!

Yeah, I was aware that crack could cause me some mischief, so the whole operation I was carefully hedging my bets... Hopefully use wedges and rope, but take a generous notch just in case and be ready to run.

Yep, can't do it without the saw. mrs rope setup, split tail or mechanical friction hitch, learn the Blake's hitch! Wirecore lanyard, silky saw, throw line and ball which you prolly already have, and duh a helmet, best to have hearing protection too. Dunno what's in that kit, could be good stuff but generally it's very basic stuff that you'll want to replace in a couple years.
Start low and slow, once your comfortable with the function of your gear, climb high and cut small. Learn how to identify rotten, hollow or otherwise compromised trees, if in doubt step back and reassess the situation. Always test your tie in point, and get/train a good groundie.
I don’t have a throw ball, I either use a ladder if available or a throw knot in my rope, I also probably end up working for a company so that’ll make me be around pros so I’ll have a good groundie (even though I’ll probably be one myself for the first year or two when they don’t let me climb a lot yet)

I don’t have a throw ball, I either use a ladder if available or a throw knot in my rope, I also probably end up working for a company so that’ll make me be around pros so I’ll have a good groundie (even though I’ll probably be one myself for the first year or two when they don’t let me climb a lot yet)
Well I'm self taught, but I advocate for working under/with someone to get experience. Most everyone starts with a company because that's the safest and best way, also can make some money. And that way you'll learn how to use and what to use for your local area. Good luck and be safe!

Well I'm self taught, but I advocate for working under/with someone to get experience. Most everyone starts with a company because that's the safest and best way, also can make some money. And that way you'll learn how to use and what to use for your local area. Good luck and be safe!
For as far as I know you are not allowed to work with a chainsaw without having gone through a course and you are not allowed to work as an arborist without being certified

Wow, another reason I'm glad I'm in the US, that's tough but prolly for the better.
I dream of one day living in the US, preferably Texas. I absolutely love the US and the culture over there. I love the idea to being able to travel from sea to mountains to huge forests without having to understand the local language because everyone speaks English, I also have a passion for shooting (especially long range) and I cannot do anything with that in Europe. Also the freedom you guys have over there is something so nice. I also find it inspiring how patriotic Americans generally are.

There is sooooo much I love about the US and I would do anything to live there one day

I dream of one day living in the US, preferably Texas. I absolutely love the US and the culture over there. I love the idea to being able to travel from sea to mountains to huge forests without having to understand the local language because everyone speaks English, I also have a passion for shooting (especially long range) and I cannot do anything with that in Europe. Also the freedom you guys have over there is something so nice. I also find it inspiring how patriotic Americans generally are.

There is sooooo much I love about the US and I would do anything to live there one day
Yes we have alot of freedoms, but sadly if we don't do something soon we're gonna lose them, also it would be a good idea to learn Spanish, cause they're taking over the workforce here, especially tree/lawn/landscape, or atleast in my area.

traditional/conventional, pretty much always, repetition makes you good at it. I find the lower cut of a humbolt a bit awkward and I am less concerned about timber loss

Back