Help on Ms-660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MS-310

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I bought a 660 last night its been beating very bad and needs lots of work. the comp. is about 125-130 lb is that good or bad I thought its ok but a little low. I was woundering if i should rebuild it and so on. I got it for 200 bucks (did i do ok)

The chain cover is junk the handle is bent but it runs ok. I will get a list of what i need tonight and see if any one knows the best place for parts.

i just serviced my buddys 066 and the comp was 165. if that helps you.

Ok I need a side chain cover, a half wrap handle and some dogs. Should i just buy at the stilh dealer or where. I did the muffler mod on my ms-310 but this is alot diff muffler and im going to do a search but i never do so good at it.. Thanks alot guys

I'd check one of the sponsors here. Dean and Curt usually have a good supply of parts. Beyond them, check ebay. I wouldn't go to a dealer and pay top dollar for parts for a beat saw.

In what way are they shot? Smashed, fire, cracked? Your compression numbers are on the low side of allowable. If that saw is badly beat it could have issues with seals and bearings and would be worth the rebuild.

Jeff

For the muffler, go to your Stihl dealer and order a 1122 140 0800. This is the factory dual port cover that used to be standard. Clean, simple and a bolt on. Retune as needed to keep the saw running correctly.

For the other parts, you're looking at eBay, someone here, or a local saw shop to find them if you're looking for used. Otherwise, if you want new, you're going to pay good money for them new. You can buy aftermarket handlebars that are much less xpensive than new Stihl bars, but used ones aren't too hard to find either. Sprocket covers are a little harder to find in good shape, for a reasonable price.

Ok cool, so whats the comp should be on the 660?????? the cly. looks very nice in side. How would i tell if seals and bearings be shot??? how much for rebuild?

Compression varies, and there's ranges. Most say that 150+ for a new saw. 120-150 for a used saw, but still good. Below 110-120 is suspect, and you'll notice a loss of power. You'll need to go to a dealer or someone with the proper blanking plate to perform a vaccum/pressure check.

A rebuild? If you're talking rings, seals, bearings, carb kit, you'd be give or take $200.

Jeff

I hate to disagree with everyone (sure..), but 130 compression on an 066 sucks... it's at the end of it's life... These saws work great at 145-160, but really are failing fast at 130. Time for new rings and piston... maybe the bore is o.k...

If all you need is seals and a piston/rings/carb kit about $135 if you do it your self.. and use genuine parts.

What should the bore be at, and is the chain cover the same for what saws?
thanks alot
Jack

MS-310 said:
What should the bore be at, and is the chain cover the same for what saws?
thanks alot
Jack

Not sure what you mean by "what should the bore be at"?

The chain cover (non wrap version) is the same for 024 (side adjuster),0 26, 036, 044, 046, 066 etc..

Lakeside53 said:
I hate to disagree with everyone (sure..), but 130 compression on an 066 sucks... it's at the end of it's life... These saws work great at 145-160, but really are failing fast at 130. Time for new rings and piston... maybe the bore is o.k...

If all you need is seals and a piston/rings/carb kit about $135 if you do it your self.. and use genuine parts.

Man i just talk to the dealer the handle is like 54 bucks and the cover is 49 bucks. Man they dont give this stuff away..... So where can i get the handle online some where cheap.... thanks
Jack

MS-310 said:
Man i just talk to the dealer the handle is like 54 bucks and the cover is 49 bucks. Man they dont give this stuff away..... So where can i get the handle online some where cheap.... thanks
Jack

If you're interested in a factory-style 3/4 wrap or a full-wrap, you can get an aftermarket (USA Handle Bars) from Madsen's. They're $39.95. Of course, after you add shipping, you'll only be saving a few bucks.

You can see them here.

Back