The Rookie has made his purchase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PineRidgeAcres

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
dolmer.JPG

New 20" bar, new chain, brand new spare chain, quart of bar & chain oil, for $220 out the door.

I know some of you deeply advised me against this, but here's what developed that helped me make my choice;

My father told me as long as he could borrow it if he needed it, that I could have his old Homelite. Its about 15-20 years old, but Ill bet it doesnt have but maybe 2-4 hours of use on it.
So, that covers all the light work I need done.

Then, a buddy of mine told me if I want to sell this Makita, he'll buy it off me.

So, I went with the Home Depot rental.

Its not as purty as some of them that Ive seen you guys get, but it seems to run OK, and starts on the first pull.

The only thing is, the chain rotates at idle. I turned the idle so far down that the saw wanted to quit, and the chain still wants to turn.

So, Im off to my property to do some cutting, Ill check back in when I get back to let you all know how it went. :greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Congrats! That's a nice setup for $226.

Addressing the clutch springs/chain moving at idle problem shouldn't be particularly difficult or costly. Sure lots of folks on here will be able to set you up with the necessary parts and all.

Happy cutting!

congrats on a nice saw. They are very smooth saws and you'll be hard pressed to find another that is as smooth, for twice the price. I like Mine

Sounds like the clutch springs might need replacing. Could also be that the L jet is set to lean causing it to rev higher at idle, and the idle screw adj my not have enough adjustment?

-Steve

PineRidgeAcres said:
dolmer.JPG

New 20" bar, new chain, brand new spare chain, quart of bar & chain oil, for $226 out the door.

I know some of you deeply advised me against this, but here's what developed that helped me make my choice;

My father told me as long as he could borrow it if he needed it, that I could have his old Homelite. Its about 15-20 years old, but Ill bet it doesnt have but maybe 2-4 hours of use on it.
So, that covers all the light work I need done.

Then, a buddy of mine told me if I want to sell this Makita, he'll buy it off me.

So, I went with the Home Depot rental.

Its not as purty as some of them that Ive seen you guys get, but it seems to run OK, and starts on the first pull.

The only thing is, the chain rotates at idle. I turned the idle so far down that the saw wanted to quit, and the chain still wants to turn.

So, Im off to my property to do some cutting, Ill check back in when I get back to let you all know how it went. :greenchainsaw:

Great looking saw there, especailly for that price, good deal. The chain rotating may be due to springs as stated. Sometime also some trash of some sort will get hung up in between the sprocket bearing and sprocket itself making everything a tight fit. Take your chain off and spin the sprocket. If its real tight you need to see what is causing the tightness, if it spins freely you need springs most likely. Still a good buy for that problem is very minor...........

I just finished putting in new clutch shoes and spring into a poulan wild thing because the customer ran it so long with the chain brake on the spring lost its tension due to extreme heat and he almost completely melted the side cover.

Thanks everyone!

Anyone know if I go cutting this weekend with bad clutch springs if I will mess anything up further?

Or if there is some sort of an adjustment for that (clutch/springs), that I could maybe do an internet search for and figure out how to do?

PineRidgeAcres said:
Thanks everyone!

Anyone know if I go cutting this weekend with bad clutch springs if I will mess anything up further?

Or if there is some sort of an adjustment for that (clutch/springs), that I could maybe do an internet search for and figure out how to do?

From an un-professional standpoint, no. The springs keep the clutch from engaging, so if the springs are worn, then the clutch will not slip. You are not going to hurt any thing on the saw. That isn't the problem. The problem lies in the safety aspect of a spinning chain when you set the saw down, I would reccomnd NOT idleing the saw on the ground

-Steve

Freakingstang said:
From an un-professional standpoint, no. The springs keep the clutch from engaging, so if the springs are worn, then the clutch will not slip. You are not going to hurt any thing on the saw. That isn't the problem. The problem lies in the safety aspect of a spinning chain when you set the saw down, I would reccomnd NOT idleing the saw on the ground

-Steve

Just to amplify... Clutch springs usually get weak rather then worn. They get overheated because of excessive slipping of the clutch by users (bogging, blunt chains, etc). This can overheat the clutch drum to the point where it can get "blued". Clutch springs on older saws may show wear at the contact points of the shoes, and the shoe holes can get elongated, but in a low time saw I doubt this is your problem.

Check your clutch drum for wear and particularly "wobble". Wobble usually means the drum is worn in the bearing center. Replacing the bearing alone probably won't help is the drum is shot.

Not sure about Makita/Dolmar prices, but Stihl clutch springs are only about $1 to $1.50 each. Replace all three. Take out the plug and put some rope in the cylinder to stop the piston when pulling off the springs with a hook.

computeruser said:
Sure lots of folks on here will be able to set you up with the necessary parts and all.

Happy cutting!

Pine here are the part numbers and prices although all you might have to do is lube the clutch drum bearing or unwind whatever has the bearing tight to the crank.
024 184 021 clutch spring $2.20 ea.
038 180 010 clutch assy. $21.00 ea.
962 210 024 drum bearing $7.50 ea.

038 223 020 clutch drum superseded to 957 223 040 clutch drum with bearing pressed 1 Piece $14.00 ea.

119 224 070 drive rim 3/8-7 $4.50 ea.
001 224 011 large retainer disk $4.30 ea.
021 224 010 small retainer disk $2.20 ea.
927 408 000 retainer clip $1.00 ea.

Let me know if I can send you any parts all are in stock.
Scott

Lakeside53 said:
Just to amplify... Clutch springs usually get weak rather then worn. They get overheated because of excessive slipping of the clutch by users (bogging, blunt chains, etc). This can overheat the clutch drum to the point where it can get "blued". Clutch springs on older saws may show wear at the contact points of the shoes, and the shoe holes can get elongated, but in a low time saw I doubt this is your problem.

Check your clutch drum for wear and particularly "wobble". Wobble usually means the drum is worn in the bearing center. Replacing the bearing alone probably won't help is the drum is shot.

Not sure about Makita/Dolmar prices, but Stihl clutch springs are only about $1 to $1.50 each. Replace all three. Take out the plug and put some rope in the cylinder to stop the piston when pulling off the springs with a hook.

That was a good answer, thanks. Not to nitpick, but, when I hear the term "worn" as it pertains to springs I interpret that as meaning "weak". Nice of you to clarify it though for those who may get confused by the meaning.

(I saw in the Husky owners manual where it recommends driping a few drops of "engine oil" into the clutch spindle regularly.)

'stang,
Did you get your Makita?Dolmar as an ex-Home Depot rental unit? Do any of the HD stores around here have that deal? My brother needs a good saw to replace his Pull-On Wild Thing and since he's almost finished building a new house money is an issue. I tried to talk him into an MS361 as an all-around saw but the $$ scared him off.
Finnbear

Freakingstang said:
congrats on a nice saw. They are very smooth saws and you'll be hard pressed to find another that is as smooth, for twice the price. I like Mine

Sounds like the clutch springs might need replacing. Could also be that the L jet is set to lean causing it to rev higher at idle, and the idle screw adj my not have enough adjustment?

-Steve

Finnbear said:
'stang,
Did you get your Makita?Dolmar as an ex-Home Depot rental unit? Do any of the HD stores around here have that deal? My brother needs a good saw to replace his Pull-On Wild Thing and since he's almost finished building a new house money is an issue. I tried to talk him into an MS361 as an all-around saw but the $$ scared him off.
Finnbear

Yes I did, but I got it from another AS member that found a couple at his HD. I have been to about 20 HD's in the state of Ohio and haven't had any luck.

I've got a like new 290 I can sell him, lol

Back