Grease

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbuehning

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey Guys:
I grew up in a machine shop so I know all greases are not equal. That said, I need a recommendation for grease for the needle cage bearing that is inside the clutch drum/chain sprocket. I sure don't want to go buy a can from the Stihl dealer if some of the clean greases I have in my workshop are good enough. Suggestions please! White lithium, wheel bearing or what??

Its amazing how simple questions keep coming up? But they need answers, thanks guys:blob2:

I use whatever I have handy.

The bearing is only turning when the saw is at idle so there isint much heat.

I say wheel bearing or something that will be water resistant.

Yes that is correct. I have only seen a couple of these bearings go out and they were both rusty from sitting in the rain and the grease was gone. The grease gets gone because there is a lot of heat generated if the clutch slips. Like when the chain is stuck and you try to force it to turn with the engine (chain brake on etc). Use a heat resistance grease. Wheel bearing is good because of the heat generated by the brakes on an automobile. Mike

The best greases I found to work well with chainsaw sprockets & bearings are, Lubriplate #1200-2 Multi-purpose grease or Lubriplate #930-2 High temp/high speed grease. Give those a try.

- Nick

Another vote for wheel bearing grease. Don't go overboard packing the bearing - any excess grease gets thrown out & may end up on the clutch shoes.

I just use red wheel bearing grease. You can use gear lube but it seems to disapear after one use.

high pressure red wheel bearing grease

I just use red wheel bearing grease. You can use gear lube but it seems to disapear after one use.

I use the same stuff because I always have at least a can of it around. Don't know if its better or not but I have never trashed a clutch bearing.

So...

Will a little dab of Lithium do ya?

Be careful what you say on this thread. I hear Thall is lookin for some new hair do goo.:)

Maybe AS could use another sponsor

It's hard to advise in such short postings, I don't mind helping but typing all day is not for me. Go to dimeusa.com and register. Call our leave your contact info and we will call. After speaking with us you will know how to choose a grease. I read alot of your postings about grease I want to help and trust me guys you need to talk to me.

Not sure how much they charge per year, but I am betting Darin will fill you in on the details.

Not sure how much they charge per year, but I am betting Darin will fill you in on the details.

Ahhhemm....the chain oil is what lubricates the clutch bearing. I just use a dab of vasoline when installing a new or refreshed bearing. Heavy grease attracts heavy dirt. These bearings are "usually" exposed to the cutting depris when used and the envirionment when improperly stored. If I had to use grease it would be something that would wash off "along with the debris" during use. But I am just an old fat guy...and thanks for all the new ideas.:popcorn:

...and... if you check a new Stihl from the factory there is no visable grease on the bearing.

I just put a dab of weedeater gearbox grease on mine when assembing, and forget them. When milling though, I grease every day - little oil gets back to the clutch drum.

Well... for what it's worth... I usually grease that bearing when I think about it. Which has prolly been twice in the 25 years I have been runnin' saws. Just happened to use high temp bearing grease.

Plus I have used it on some of the saws I have completely tore down and rebuilt.;)

Gary

Latest posts

Back