Grease

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhhemm....the chain oil is what lubricates the clutch bearing.

Hi,

that doesn't seem to be the case with my MS460. If I don't grease it then it stays dry, no oil seems to get in there by itself and probably wouldn't stay there for long anyway if it did.

That bearing gets very hot from both the engine heat through the crankshaft and the clutch so I only use heat "resistant" bearing grease or sometimes a copper or moly grease.

Bye

Well... for what it's worth... I usually grease that bearing when I think about it. Which has prolly been twice in the 25 years I have been runnin' saws. Just happened to use high temp bearing grease.

Plus I have used it on some of the saws I have completely tore down and rebuilt.;)

Gary

Looks like my maintenance program is right on schedule. Once in the last 11 years. Needle cage and bearings looked okay, but after joining this site I thought I better get a dab in there.

I don't know if the bearing needs grease or it is lubed by the chain oil, something to check out tonight. If I were to use a grease it would be high temp marine, wheel bearing grease. The stuff is made for boat trailer wheel bearings so it is much more water resistant. Only use a small amount as some others have said, it will keep the dirt around.

...and... if you check a new Stihl from the factory there is no visable grease on the bearing.

I just put a dab of weedeater gearbox grease on mine when assembing, and forget them. When milling though, I grease every day - little oil gets back to the clutch drum.

yes

Misteltoe may tempt him out. On the other hand I think you're going to have to get a whole lot more cunning than this.....................

Misteltoe may tempt him out. On the other hand I think you're going to have to get a whole lot more cunning than this.....................

Misselwhat?

Cunning?

Who back?

You guys need to let go of your heroes and develop thoughts of your own.....

LubriMatic Marine Trailer Wheel Bearing Grease - 14 oz. Cartridge

High pressure, high speed, won't wash out, compatible with soap based grease. It's the bomb:blob2:.....and it's green:biggrinbounce2:

Latest posts

Back