MS201T is sounding BIG SAD

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I won't have a chance to dig into this saw until tomorrow, but thought I'd post the video evidence here. In the video the saw was cold, last worked about an hour and half earlier. I think I messed something up during my last maintenance session:
  • I swapped out the drum sprocket,
  • replaced the spark plug (it was gapped at .5 mm like normal),
  • cleaned the oiling pump and greased the needle bearing.
  • Kill switch wasn't engaging so i took the handle apart and cleaned the gunk and saw dust off of the connection. Of course the linkages fell out because duh every damn time.
  • So, I needed to screw around with the carburetor to get the throttle and choke reconnected.
Maybe impulse hose is disconnected now? But would it even run at all then? It gains enough steam under throttle to function, but it's not having fun doing it. It feels almost grind-y in the cut, like its binding up. Hard to describe. And even if I got the kill switch working again, you wouldn't know it since it stalls when returning to idle.

It's possible I managed to get dust into the carb or i didn't get a good fit between the manifold, carb ring and the carb? Idk I thought maybe a with a video someone might be able to suggest a good thread to pull on for this one.
ps: Thank you for your patience in advance, I am new to servicing and troubleshooting saws. Our maintenance guru retired, so now I'm the inexperienced shop gremlin that volunteered to take on saw maintenance. I'm just learning as I go here. :crazy2:

Attachments

• MS201T.COLD.START.UP.MOV
    21.2 MB
@lone wolf should be able to help you out.
Would help if you step by step explained what you did- especially around "screw around with the carburetor"
Is it possible you pinched the fuel line in or under the airbox?
Applying finger pressure to the go trigger with the brake engaged is never a good look.

Is it possible you pinched the fuel line in or under the airbox?
Oh that’s possible, definitely. I could have even poked a hole in it.

Sorry I did jump the gun a little on this post, I haven’t taken it apart yet and the answer may well be clear. I may delete until later. I was mostly getting too deep in the weeds and was getting worried I messed up the crankshaft or something but I wasn’t using an impact driver and the piston was locked. So I think I’m being paranoid.
Applying finger pressure to the go trigger with the brake engaged is never a good look.
Ha yeah I agree. He wouldn’t typically do that.

Well damn man you shut it off the second it warmed up do another video about a minute or so. Did you turn any carb jets?
Ah yeah sorry Wolf, it stalled out so I cut it. I will get another longer vid up tomorrow. And no I haven’t made any changes to the carb jets, I haven’t even pulled the spark plug yet to see what the last week of running has done. It’s typically seems pretty rich on that saw.

Ah yeah sorry Wolf, it stalled out so I cut it. I will get another longer vid up tomorrow. And no I haven’t made any changes to the carb jets, I haven’t even pulled the spark plug yet to see what the last week of running has done. It’s typically seems pretty rich on that saw.
Well whats the history and all that lead up to this etc?

Latest posts

Back