7900 switch question/problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B_Turner

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was cutting today with my 7900 and the switch thumb fell off, and of course it wouldn't run any more. The piece has two tabs, and one broke off in the switch but I got it out okay. I don't understand the switch 100 percent. Sliding the slider backwards pulls a contact open, and when I put the broken (one tab missing) slider back on it will run, but since it won't slide forward I can't turn it off without popping the slider.

So my question is with the 7900 (fairly new), does it make sense that if I buy another slider I will be able to simply snap it straight into the switch and it will then function okay?

Closest dealer is an hour a way and has only been a dealer several months and doesn't stock any parts. (Last I was there he had bought and sold one 5100 ever and never even heard of a 7900- I had him order one for me.) Naturally it's under warranty but I don't want to spend two hours driving so I hoping to find an AS dealer that will sell me a replacement part - under the assumption that I can snap it right in.

Any thoughts, anyone?

I have other saws and even a second 7900, but that particular 7900 is my all around favorite.

Last edited:
Do you mean the whole switch? I was hoping to not have to even take it apart, just pop another slider in.

Yep the whole switch. I had the same thing happen to me on a 7900. I had to use the choke to kill the engine. Pull both wires off pop the old switch out..........you know the rest.

You have to change the whole switch out. It only takes a few seconds to change and a husq switch will work just but will work backwards from the oem switch. They are about $4.50 for the switch

Steve

attachment.php

You have to change the whole switch out. It only takes a few seconds to change and a husq switch will work just but will work backwards from the oem switch. They are about $4.50 for the switch

Steve

attachment.php

I know it is a stupid question (never had a switch go out before, amazingly), but I assume I need to unscrew some casing or something to get the switch out from the inside? Or can I unsnap the switch tabs completely from the outside without taking anything apart?

I wish I could ask such a ignorant question under an assummed name.

Steve

attachment.php

Hmmmmm, that sure is alot of switches to have in stock.

I know it is a stupid question (never had a switch go out before, amazingly), but I assume I need to unscrew some casing or something to get the switch out from the inside? Or can I unsnap the switch tabs completely from the outside without taking anything apart?

I wish I could ask such a ignorant question under an assummed name.

Easiest way to change the switch is to take a small (Carb) screwdriver and pop the old switch out. Unhook the wires then attach the wires to new switch and push the new switch in place.

Steve

Easiest way to change the switch is to take a small (Carb) screwdriver and pop the old switch out. Unhook the wires then attach the wires to new switch and push the new switch in place.

Steve

That's what I was hoping. I'll find someone online and order a few switches to have on hand. Thanks and now I know. Can hardly believe in all the years (running Huskies too, for that matter) it's my first switch. Slider fell off in my hand, didn't even bump it. I like such simple problems in life.

So I am going to order a few switches to throw in the toolbox. (That way it will never happen again.)

Anything else I should order for my 7900 or 5100 to throw in the toolbox as well? I already have the usual, extra tensioner for 7900, air filters, fuel caps.e clips...

So I am going to order a few switches to throw in the toolbox. (That way it will never happen again.)

Anything else I should order for my 7900 or 5100 to throw in the toolbox as well? I already have the usual, extra tensioner for 7900, air filters, fuel caps.e clips...

Always a good idea to have several e-clips for the rim sprocket on hand!

My ex-Stihl dealer thought I was nuts for wanting a couple extra. Morons. I just had one go "schwing" into the tall grass the day before, he was telling me they "don't wear out". Ordered another bushing too...he said they don't wear out either...:laugh:

Mark

On topic, I just replaced the switch on my 3120, took 3 minutes, two of them to figure it out, one to do it. The switch blade was broken off of mine...Chopwood did it and sold the saw to me that way....whatta chump....(He's on the thread now so I gotta poke some fun at him)

I learned that the hard way on my 066 years ago when I was way out in the field. You know, the Jesus clip thing.. Pry on it and then "Jesus!"

I don't go anywhere without e clips anymore for each saw. And extra bar nuts. Not worth a buck to spend 10 minutes looking for the nut that fell off cause someone didn't tighten it correctly...

My ex-Stihl dealer thought I was nuts for wanting a couple extra. Morons. I just had one go "schwing" into the tall grass the day before, he was telling me they "don't wear out". Ordered another bushing too...he said they don't wear out either...:laugh:

Mark

On topic, I just replaced the switch on my 3120, took 3 minutes, two of them to figure it out, one to do it. The switch blade was broken off of mine...Chopwood did it and sold the saw to me that way....whatta chump....(He's on the thread now so I gotta poke some fun at him)

I admit it, I did it and laughed after.

Latest posts

Back