660vs395

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timberhauler

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I didn't get a chance to do it today,but I'm taking down a couple of decent sized water oaks tomorrow,and I honestly tell it like it is....You see,even though I prefer the 395,I've got many 066/660's laying around from over the years,thousands of dollars worth of parts,so I can't just ditch the 660 like it never existed.The two 395's I have bought I have been using personally,and do not plan on letting any of my guys use them,it's no secret that I instantly liked it better than the 660...But here is the catch,I compared it to a 660 that someone told me was fairly new,but come to find out,it had more time on it than we both thought...I've got three 660's right now,but they were bought in 04',and have been used hard,and won't hardly outcut a 440..Today I decided to replace those saws,so now I have a 395 that has only had one tank through it,and two brand spankin' new 660's...And the perfect job for comparing the two......I would like to think that ya'll know I won't feed ya' any crap,and I'll call it just like myself and two of my guys see it.Both have as much time behind a saw as I do...Thanks again Champ for getting that quote together for me.

Sounds fun.

Ill give you five bucks for the losing saw:monkey:

I had to give it a shot... right? :help:

I didn't get a chance to do it today,but I'm taking down a couple of decent sized water oaks tomorrow,and I honestly tell it like it is....You see,even though I prefer the 395,I've got many 066/660's laying around from over the years,thousands of dollars worth of parts,so I can't just ditch the 660 like it never existed.The two 395's I have bought I have been using personally,and do not plan on letting any of my guys use them,it's no secret that I instantly liked it better than the 660...But here is the catch,I compared it to a 660 that someone told me was fairly new,but come to find out,it had more time on it than we both thought...I've got three 660's right now,but they were bought in 04',and have been used hard,and won't hardly outcut a 440..Today I decided to replace those saws,so now I have a 395 that has only had one tank through it,and two brand spankin' new 660's...And the perfect job for comparing the two......I would like to think that ya'll know I won't feed ya' any crap,and I'll call it just like myself and two of my guys see it.Both have as much time behind a saw as I do...Thanks again Champ for getting that quote together for me.

Good post Timber. Let us know your results on those saws...

I predict the Husky will win. It's got 2 advantages. It's broken in and also has a ~5cc advantage.

I predict the Husky will win. It's got 2 advantages. It's broken in and also has a ~5cc advantage.

I bought two 395's at the time the one I'm using was bought two months ago...One IS good and broken in,it's pretty much been used everyday since bought,the other I've only made about four stump cuts with,and I ran exactly one tank of gas through it during this,so It's still not broken in....That's the one I'm using for the showdown,not the one that is broken in....First we're gonna try both with a 36 inch bar,then with 24's.I wished I had a way to video it and post it.

I'm not sure which way it will go.. I have had a few cuts on an 395, it was nice, but and it didn't seem anything like as grunty as my 066 (exact type as 660 model - with dual port)..

24's??? on these saws that will only show which has faster chain speed...

I'm not sure which way it will go.. I have had a few cuts on an 395, it was nice, but and it didn't seem anything like as grunty as my 066 (exact type as 660 model - with dual port)..

24's??? on these saws that will only show which has faster chain speed...

Both have 8-pin sprockets...I guess you're right...The 395 doesn't even know it's cutting anything with a 24...I guess the 36 inch bars will tell the tale.

With 24's on both saws,the 395 will clearly pull away every time.Myself and three other people felt the same way....Though we didn't actually stopwatch the cuts,we just kinda passed the saws around as we were working today,and we all agreed that with 24's on both saws,it's not much of a race.
These two water oaks had just enough trunk to bury the 36 inch bars.With the 36 inch bar on each saw,the 395 still outpulls,but it's not a runaway like with the 24 inch bars.I cut several small discs with each saw,I can feel a little more lugging power from the 395,but the Stihl seems to make up the difference in the mid-range and top end...As far as raw power and cutting speed,the 395 does win by a hair,but it's not a big enough of a difference to say it slaughters the 660....Personally,I prefer the 395 anyway,two of the guys that works for me say they are more comfortable running the Stihl...The other two and myself like the 395....We've typically getting about three years out of the 660,so only time is gonna tell what matters most to me,and that's longetivity..I'm glad I finally broke down and replaced my old 660's,and this was fun to finally get to run both the Stihl and Husky on equal terms...My suggestion to everyone would be this...Dealer support,and pick each saw up,and hold it in every position you would while normally running it,and buy the one that's most comfortable.

great comparison!!

Which saw favors mods better? Let's say woods port both saws from same builder. Or full out port/race job. Then who has the edge?

great comparison!!

Which saw favors mods better? Let's say woods port both saws from same builder. Or full out port/race job. Then who has the edge?

I don't know...I don't mod my saws except for a little tinkering.I'm sure there is someone here that can tell ya' though.It seems the guys who like to hot rod their saws favor Stihl's

I was thinking of getting a 660 or 395. I will have either one modded though. I'm a Stihl man but think the xp's are great saws, I would like to have a Husky one day.

With 24's on both saws,the 395 will clearly pull away every time.Myself and three other people felt the same way....Though we didn't actually stopwatch the cuts,we just kinda passed the saws around as we were working today,and we all agreed that with 24's on both saws,it's not much of a race.
These two water oaks had just enough trunk to bury the 36 inch bars.With the 36 inch bar on each saw,the 395 still outpulls,but it's not a runaway like with the 24 inch bars.I cut several small discs with each saw,I can feel a little more lugging power from the 395,but the Stihl seems to make up the difference in the mid-range and top end...As far as raw power and cutting speed,the 395 does win by a hair,but it's not a big enough of a difference to say it slaughters the 660....Personally,I prefer the 395 anyway,two of the guys that works for me say they are more comfortable running the Stihl...The other two and myself like the 395....We've typically getting about three years out of the 660,so only time is gonna tell what matters most to me,and that's longetivity..I'm glad I finally broke down and replaced my old 660's,and this was fun to finally get to run both the Stihl and Husky on equal terms...My suggestion to everyone would be this...Dealer support,and pick each saw up,and hold it in every position you would while normally running it,and buy the one that's most comfortable.

Good post there ole boy. The outcome was as I suspected mainly because those saws are new. Now that you have both of those saws you have a chance to prove once and for all whether the old myth is true. The myth is out of the box the Stihl is slower than a Husky cc for cc. However the myth also claims the Husky doesn't gain much as it breaks in, its about as good as its ever gonna be out of the box. The myth also claims the Stihl does gain alot after its broke in. All that said after 5 full gallons of fuel have been run through those saws run em together again. I've been curious for years whether the myth is true or false. Do me a favor and find out, you have the saws to prove it one way or the other.

Just so we are clear, I'm not making any excuses for the 660. If the 395 is faster then by Joe its faster. Regardless though I wouldn't trade a new 660 for any Husky made. I likem the 660 as much as you likem the 395,wink!

Great Thread! I tried to rep ya, Timber, but ya know how the rules work. Thall, I hope my 290 is still gaining power after 6 tanks of fuel, cuz my modded 026 whips its butt..:biggrinbounce2:

I'll try to keep ya'll updated on how the 660's do once broken in..My other 395,the one that gets used every day is clearly stronger than the one I used today....We ran about two gallons of gas through those two saws today...Here is another one.....I like the gas caps better on the Husky,you don't have to have a scrench to get them off.....But the Husky uses a whole lot more gas and bar oil than the 660...Usually by the time the Husky is empty,the Stihl has about 1/4 of a tank left....I'm not sure which one holds how much gas,but I'll find out.

Latest posts

Back