660vs395

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It needs to go on a diet...............:laugh: :laugh:

Awwwwwwwwwwww is ok for the 395 to be around 2lbs heavier, remember were talking Husky,hehe

Surprizes me Ben hasn't chimed in with his dislike for the 395 in this thread and his love for the 660, wonder why that is, maybe Ben is alittle gun shy of Timberhauler,heheh. Ben grow a set or hush, Timberhauler won't beat ya up if you like the 660 better, relax,LOLOL

Timberhauler, maybe you could fill up both powerheads with fuel and oil and give us some weight comparisons.

I can't explain it, but break in times for various saws really aren't all that consistant. Just looking at Husky, the 357 seems to really wake up after 5 to 10 tanks, while the 372's all just rip right out of the box.
I have never noticed a saw taking more than a few tanks to break in. Course, I dont baby them either. In fact i try to load them intermittently at very high loads to seat the rings properly.

Of course it does to you Ben, doesn't suprize me at all. Now are the tolerances the same in both Ben, hmmmmm. Other words in simple terms so you can understand more easily maybe one hole is tighter than the other,LOLOLOL
Could be, but I doubt it. If there is a differance in break in times I would think the more likely culprit would be hone geometry, but then again it could be the same as well seeing as the same company makes each.

I do dislike the 395 and 385, but to be honest I havent ran each enough to really form a concrete opinion. We simply dont have a call for a saw that size in my area. With that said I would take a 660 over a 395 any day of the week.

I have never noticed a saw taking more than a few tanks to break in. Course, I dont baby them either. In fact i try to load them intermittently at very high loads to seat the rings properly.

Could be, but I doubt it. If there is a differance in break in times I would think the more likely culprit would be hone geometry, but then again it could be the same as well seeing as the same company makes each.

I do dislike the 395 and 385, but to be honest I havent ran each enough to really form a concrete opinion. We simply dont have a call for a saw that size in my area. With that said I would take a 660 over a 395 any day of the week.

Well I'm proud of ya Ben, you hold true to your opinon.

As for the break in thing I never said it was fact, only a myth I've heard for years. Timberhauler will breakem in and let us know, tant no biggie. Like I said, I'm not making any excuses for the 660 at all, if the 395 saws faster so be it. I do however still like the 660's regardless.

Break in time

I would think that break in time would be dependent on bore prep (nikisel) and ring material/design and would have little to do with the substrates/quality of the piston and cyl. Seems like I remember Lake commenting about "break in ridges" on some Stihls.

It took 15 tanks for my 372 to really wake up, yet I remember a friends weedwacker being a dog and coming alive after about 10mins.

I would also think that "break in" has as much to do with the bottom end as the top end.

I would also think that "break in" has as much to do with the bottom end as the top end.
Maybe be so with plain element bearings in a four stroke, but not in a two cycle as ball bearing are good to go right out of the box. The only thing accomplished in break in is the rings being seated to the cylinder.

This thread is interesting!!!

In the 5 yrs. I have been here the 066/660 has had a lot of posts from repairs to mods.

Can't say the same for the 395. The other saws in the Husky line (346,357,359,372 and the 385) have had a lot more threads/posts about them.

Wonder why that is???

All I have is a bathroom scale....I can tell you that the husky is a good bit heavier,but balances better with a longer bar.

Timber theres no need to weigh those saws, if the Husky is a tad heavier so what, tant no biggie. From what I can gather you really like that 395 more than you like those 660's and to that I say cool, whats wrong with that, not a thing. I think your observation of the two saws was fair and balanced.

I do want you to put the old myth to the test though, I'm quite interested in that. So let us know after you breakem in how they perform for ya.

Well said Thall. Your a Stihl man for sure and thats cool. Whats even cooler about you is that you dont beat others up because they favor a different flavor.

Well theres no need to pounce on those who find their likes a bit different than you own, hell if everyone liked the exact samethings this site would be boring. Joking and teasing, sure, but to get overbearing, no, theres no need for that.

I kinda like the idea of Timber giving some reviews on that 395. I haven't heard or read all that much about that model. Its always good to get info on models you don't know much about. Heck I got no problem what so ever with his review of the two saws. He bought the saws and is giving the reports on them for free, can't beat that I say.

In the 5 yrs. I have been here the 066/660 has had a lot of posts from repairs to mods.

Can't say the same for the 395. The other saws in the Husky line (346,357,359,372 and the 385) have had a lot more threads/posts about them.

Wonder why that is???

Cuz' they don't know better...Eventually they'll come around..I like the 660,I'll probably always have one or two around,but from now on,I'll also have a 395 or two on hand as well.

Wonder why that is???

Cuz' they don't know better...Eventually they'll come around..I like the 660,I'll probably always have one or two around,but from now on,I'll also have a 395 or two on hand as well.

With this analytical gang..............you have to be kidding!!!

For as long as the 395 has been out someone would have found out. A certain saw builder I know :taped: has found the 395 to be quite impressive once modded..............although the stock performance (in his opinion) is somewhat lackluster!!!

Dunno.............for some reason (like I said before) I just can't warm up to the 395!!!

Maybe be so with plain element bearings in a four stroke, but not in a two cycle as ball bearing are good to go right out of the box. The only thing accomplished in break in is the rings being seated to the cylinder.

I personally think that there is some trueth to this. I have rebuilt literally hundreds of low ends and have seen first hand that some are tighter than others. Now this could be, because of condition in the factory with tooling or even how it was put together, maybe because some one had a hang over. Just about every tech in here will tell you that some time there is a minute amount of bind on the crank shaft. This is no big deal and happens with all saws but as the saw breaks in, so do the bearings if they have any bind.
I have gone so far as to put a self alligning bearing in one side of the case to help.
In just about any racing; engines run their best right before they go as they loosen up too much.

Just a little food for thought before you dismiss this statement.

AMEN. I dont know how many races I was movin up right before the engine blew. Most engines run their best right before they grenade. Thats almost a fact Jack.

Latest posts

Back