660vs395

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anything worse than zero runout (on a .0001 indicator) is gonna cost some power. The bearing quality, crank flex, ,etc. all play into it.

In just about any racing; engines run their best right before they go as they loosen up too much.

Just a little food for thought before you dismiss this statement.

I'm not sure how many dirt bike engines I've had to all of a sudden run like they were on fire,then let go.....It's cost me several races and a decent amount of prize money.

Well Dean answer this!!!!

I would also think that "break in" has as much to do with the bottom end as the top end.

I personally think that there is some trueth to this. I have rebuilt literally hundreds of low ends and have seen first hand that some are tighter than others. Now this could be, because of condition in the factory with tooling or even how it was put together, maybe because some one had a hang over. Just about every tech in here will tell you that some time there is a minute amount of bind on the crank shaft. This is no big deal and happens with all saws but as the saw breaks in, so do the bearings if they have any bind.
I have gone so far as to put a self alligning bearing in one side of the case to help.
In just about any racing; engines run their best right before they go as they loosen up too much.

Just a little food for thought before you dismiss this statement.

Beings you been a builder for a while how do the 395's hold up to mods, IE, Woods Port and all out racing?????

Beings you been a builder for a while how do the 395's hold up to mods, IE, Woods Port and all out racing?????

I have only built 2 395xp's so far. One was a sage II and one a Stage III. So far they have been holding up good with no reported problems from my customers. I have not built one for racing so do not know for sure. The one thing I do notice though is that conciderable weight needs to be taken off of the piston to gain in the durability factor for anything over 13K.

I seen cutforfun mention another builders oppinion and I will echo the same. I was never impressed with the 385 or the 395 until I modified them for customers. In stock form I believe the Stihl out class them in all but the antivibe catagory. With that said though; modified they are some of the best saws going. I especially like the 390XP. This could be the new king of the hill. Once modified it absolutely kicks butt. Power to weight with a little Husqy anitvibe tech and a 390xp is definately a contender for the crown when it comes to a scale cutting saw.

Let's see what happens when the 066 BB comes out. I think we will have another battle again.

Timber since your new found love with the chubby 395 ..

Could you post a couple picture of the 660 and the 395 top and side views sitting next to each other....

I'll give ya 50.00 each for all your Stihl's that way you can be happy ......I just dont want to pay to much for the lessor brand.:D :D

Last edited:
Timber since your new found love with the chubby 395 ..

Could you post a couple picture of the 660 and the 395 top and side views sitting next to each other....

I'll give ya 50.00 each for all your Stihl's that way you can be happy ......I just dont want to pay to much for the lessor brand.:D :D

I'll take 50 bucks for the picture...I can't sell them.The reason I run them is because I have so many sitting around for spare parts..I do like the 660,I just like the 395 a little better...I failed to mention that my lucky falling saw is a 660...Every time I go to make a precise drop,I use it,and for that alone.It's a phsycological thing I know,but it works.

I thought I would post an update,as I did something today to really put them to the test...I topped out two big water oaks on Thursday,and they were amongst some nice landscapping,and I couldn't get a skid loader or a grapple truck nearby....Each tree was only around 30 inches in diameter,so It was cut-n-chunk time...I had 32 inch bars and full skip chain on each saw.Each log was about the same in diameter,and each about 50 feet long,so I had plenty of cuts to make to really get a good feel...The 660 seems to love a 32 inch bar with skip chain...It cuts better with a 32 inch bar and skip chain than it does with a 24 inch bar with full chain..It was kinda funny...The 395 still had the upper hand,but not by much...You could dig the dogs in on the 395 and push it in as hard as you wanted,I never did make it "stick and stop" in the cut..The 660 was cutting just as fast as long as you held it back some,if you didn't it would dig itself in too quick and stick..I cut those entire 50ft. logs into six inch long peices so I could carry them out...So I made many cuts with each saw...There is no doubt that there is more felt power coming from the 395...And for those of you wondering about the MS650?...I had it on hand as well,running a 36 inch bar with full skip chain...I'm really impressed with this saw...It bumped noggin's with it's big brother and the 395 all day long.....

Timberhauler,
You have done a nice job with the comparisons. I don't own any saws in this class, but have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread.

Good Job. :clap: :rock:

+1. Just shows paper specs don't mean crap...:laugh: and the concept of "there is only ONE true chainsaws god" is bunkum, and you guys are just worshiping false idols. :popcorn:

I may have mentioned this before,but I also did a comparison inside of a comparison here.....I started the day with two full 2 and a half gallon jugs full of gas,and two full gallons of bar oil for each saw.....The 395 uses a helluva lot more gas than the 660...At the end of the day,the 660's jug was still half full....I blew through 3/4 of the jug with the 395..But each uses about the same amount of bar oil...And man,I'll be sore as hell in the morning...I haven't had to chunk wood like that by myself all day long in quite a while....I've been spoiled rotten by the grapple truck and the new holland.

I may have mentioned this before,but I also did a comparison inside of a comparison here.....I started the day with two full 2 and a half gallon jugs full of gas,and two full gallons of bar oil for each saw.....The 395 uses a helluva lot more gas than the 660...At the end of the day,the 660's jug was still half full....I blew through 3/4 of the jug with the 395..But each uses about the same amount of bar oil...And man,I'll be sore as hell in the morning...I haven't had to chunk wood like that by myself all day long in quite a while....I've been spoiled rotten by the grapple truck and the new holland.

That would suck for milling.. The 066 is bad enough...

I would have helped to run one of those saws in return;)

Great story!!! Real live feedback.

Well,just where in NC are ya???...Because I have another big water oak to cut down sometime in the near future,and I'm gonna have to work it out the same way...That is the joy of the tree business...You can't always get your big toys in to play...I end up with alot of jobs like this where I have to cut-n-chunk...I guess the competitors or bidding them high so they don't have to fool with them..I do not enjoy it except for comparing saws..But this ole' mule don't turn down work...I've been many times out begging for work,so I'll never get too busy to do a good ole ass whoopin' job like this now and then...And in the last two weeks,several have come in....I can fall and buck anything I run across with either a 575 or a 440...But having the 385's,the 650,the 660's and the 395's are priceless when you have to cut a really big log down to where you can carry it........But seriously there guy,if you are close enough,and decided you wanna give it a shot one day when I've got a big trunk to saw up,you would be more than welcome as long as you show up sober and you must be willing to sign a waiver to promise you won't hit me with a lawsuit if one of the big boys bites ya'....Especially today...I was supposed to have two guys helping,and both of them laid out...They might just get another day off on Monday as well..I'm dead serious here...You're welcome to PM me if you are.

Back