Just joined- thought I'd share a couple Pics...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkeyman13

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey Folks, I just joined on March 5th 2007, I actually stumbled across your site while looking for some info on a chainsaw I am looking at buying. I got pretty excited as I have been trying to find info on several questions or issues I occasionally ran into over the last couple years, and was pleasantly surprised when I stumbled onto your site:

I have been cutting my own firewood for the last 10 years and when I first begun to get my own firewood, I did it entirely by chain saw, (cutting axp 6-8 cords and splitting by Axe) Then about 3 years ago, I was talking to a local farmer in my area, and asked if he knows anyone that has a buzz saw for sale or if he ever happens to run across one at an auction to grab it for me if it isn't too much $$$. So a week later he drives up to my place with a buzz saw in the back of his truck. It only cost me $100.00, but had to put some sweat equity into it to get it working... It used to run off a pulley rigged up for a tractor, but I wanted it to run off a gas engine.

Attached is a pic of the saw, as it was just after modifying it. I have already made some additional mods to it. Runs like a charm, needless to say, saves a tonne of work...

Welcome to AS!

I run my Woodsman off of a farm tractor and I have to say that this is the first time I've seen one powered by a small engine. Cool looking setup though.

Keep an eye on those fingers. There are plenty of old timers around here with stubby fingers thanks to the buzz saw.

I guess I'll be the first to chime in. First of all, welcome! This site contains a wealth of information and nice people. You'll be glad you joined. Personally I would be scared $^8#less to operate that buzz saw! How do you feed the wood into it? And how do you do it without getting hurt? Does it ever fling a chunk back at you?

Scratch that on first to reply!

I've used it for almost 3 seasons so far. I'll tell you I was very intimidated the first time I ran a log through it. I was very concerned about recoil, tripping in front of it, or misjudging where my hands are. Since these pics were taken, I've upgraded the motor to a 12HP (used to be a 6), and improved the design for the belt tensioner. I really respect the saw and am very aware of what i am doing. Today I am quite comfortable running the saw and I hope that I do not get too comfortable cause that when fingers go missing....

On the saw, there is a swing arm I'll call it, that the log rests on, and then I just push the log to the blade and continue with the pressure until I cut through the log. You have to have your wits about you whenever you are around the saw that's for sure.

I had an small accident with a circular saw last year and nearly lost my whole right thumb right at the webbing. 60 stitches, wires, 2 pins and 2 surgeries later I am good to go. That monster right there in those pictures are the things my nightmares are made of now.

I would SERIOUSLY, SERIOUSLY consider some safety guards around that spinning blade. As you mentioned, one stumble over a split log and that thing would take more than just a thumb. That thing scares the Bejesus out of me just looking at the pics !!!!

I would SERIOUSLY, SERIOUSLY consider some safety guards around that spinning blade. As you mentioned, one stumble over a split log and that thing would take more than just a thumb. That thing scares the Bejesus out of me just looking at the pics !!!!

Not to mention the risk if there are little ones about.

Accident waiting to happen.

I sure hope you have a good insurance policy.
I wonder if your insurance co. would keep you covered
if they knew you had this.
Be careful man.

Welcome to AS.

You are half way to a milling setup with the way you have that crosscut saw rigged, just need a carriage to run parallel and slab some some wood.

I second the guarding, something along the lines of a power mitre saw, so when you push a log through to buck, the guard lifts out of the way and comes back down when you pull the carriage back towards you.

No to be another worried poster but I always thought those buzz saws would be good to take the top of your head off real quick. Little bit of wind to blow the hat off your head, you stoop over to pick er up and zinng, your sportin a new hair do.

I still wouldn't mind to have one though. Nice score and good job!

I've been reading here for a while but this is my 1st post. When I bought my current property there was a buzzsaw rig just inside my property line in the woods on an old sawmill site. When the chunk of land next to me sold the buzzsaw dissaperared. I never asked any questions of the seller or new owner. I was actually kind of relieved because I know I would have set it up to use.

I saw one of those a couple of years ago that had been modified so that you could stand to one side, the wood was clamped down in a fasion to be easily moved once cut, then you lifted the table on a pivot point. Looked like the owner may have had a run in with thing that scared him too.

Nice rig, but I'll chime in on the advice too.
I'm pretty daring, but wouldn't work across the saw that way!
I'm in the midst of getting one going. It has a back on the swing table that's about 6" tall...makes for stable rest. It also has a guard loop standing vertically at the right end of the table. The loop goes on both sides of the blade as the table swings in. I'm not sure what the guard prevents, but it looks good.

I believe they were meant to be used by standing behind the table and pushing the log in with two hands, both well left of the blade.

How did yours cut with the 6HP engine? What size wood?
If my tractor hookup doesn't go well, I'll do a small engine too.

Nice shots.

That's an old-timer for sure. I agree with the guys who advise you to get some guards on it, though. We have one that we run off of a tractor belt and the potential for kicking back a piece of wood is always there. Also beware of metal objects in the wood...nails,barb wire,all kinds of stuff. I don't know how old your blade is but they can shatter ...think shrapnel heading for that propane tank next to your house. We use ours mostly on orchard limbs...stuff you can stand off to one side of while you're feeding. Also, now you get to learn a whole new kind of sharpening. Have fun...be careful.

More questions:

Does that engine have a gear reduction built in? Hopefully you aren't running at motor speed, which I think would be too fast! Mine has a flat belt drive from a 540 rpm PTO. The pulley on the saw is near the same size as the pto pulley on the tractor, so I'm thinking the design speed was in the 700 RPM range?

I expect it's possible to sling the blade apart with excess speed!

Maybe I've read too many Stephen King novels, those pictures gave me the willies. You are a braver man than I.

Love a buzz saw

We have a stationary one, used to run it off of the flat belt and the H farmall. My dad and my late Uncle would work together. My dad always did the cutting and my uncle the catching and pitching. It is a tool, you just have to respect it. I would never operate one alone though, or atleast I would never work with my body in front of the blade, and one arm crossing the blade.
Have a buddy catch and toss the cut offs..
My neighbor has a mounted buzz saw on the front of his H. My grandparents would clean fencerows and bring in stuff to small to mess with the S10 Stihl. They would pile it in the barnlot, then on a weekend Grandma would kill some fresh chickens and grandma would cook up a big feast. German foods, and beef Kidneys, my favorite.
Those days are long behind us now.. But they were for fact, the good ole days of yester year.

Holy crap. You've got way more cahones than I... Out of curiosity, why did you go to a buzzsaw for 6 cord/year?

Back