Talking To Stihl Right Now!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RED-85-Z51

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Emailed them a week ago, regional rep is on the ohone right now.

ThE MINIMUM I would be asked to carry is:

60 running ft of wall display

$50K start up package

$10K in stock

samllest package of 2 strokes on hand is 50 units, saws, blowers, trimmers, etc
----------

So I guess now Ill Email Echo and see what they offer, I just dont have that kind of space nor money to go with Stihl, HE DID say that where I was plannign to put my shop would be PRIME, as there is no shop within like 15 miles (or 25 minutes driving).

Still talking to him right now...lol

God forbid you capitalize your new business and actually have some success. You will fail doing it half-a$$ed, no matter the line you carry.

They have these crazy things out there called small business loans.

NOT getting an SBA loan, sorry, NOT happening.

50K is simply too much to ask an upstart business to invest in something that isnt even their main seller. Ill need a line of push mowers, and riding mowers, that will cost $ as well.

If they didnt require more stock than a few bars and chain, some line, some oil...and a couple saws...Id be fine. But I have 0 intention of selling Stihl Trimmers and blowers.

As far as OPE the ones that I think would meet your low startup costs would be dolmar, jonsered, echo, tanaka, and shindaiwa.

Im Emailing Tanaka and Echo.

Dolmar, Jonsered, and Shindaiwa have 0 following down here, Same with SOLO. Really Tanaka doesnt have any either, but I know that there are quite a few older ones floating around around here.

You make a following! No one sold Dolmar here, no one really knew of them much but now I sell just as much Dolmar as we do the Husky saws. Check into Honda for the mowers, it is a good line.

$50K start up package

$10K in stock

----------

So I guess now Ill Email Echo and see what they offer, I just dont have that kind of space nor money to go with Stihl, HE DID say that where I was plannign to put my shop would be PRIME, as there is no shop within like 15 miles (or 25 minutes driving).

Thats about 4 times the amount we started with here at Leesburg and today we only have 40 feet of wall display and we started out with a total of $13,000 worth of inventory. Things must be different in your state bigtime.
Tell that guy you wanna sell Stihl, not buy it all,LOL

NOT getting an SBA loan, sorry, NOT happening.

50K is simply too much to ask an upstart business to invest in something that isnt even their main seller. Ill need a line of push mowers, and riding mowers, that will cost $ as well.

If they didnt require more stock than a few bars and chain, some line, some oil...and a couple saws...Id be fine. But I have 0 intention of selling Stihl Trimmers and blowers.

What, trimmers and blowers outsell the saws. How much was you planing on getting into, just saws?, if so they aren't gonna do that..

I looked into opening an OPE shop a couple years back in conjunction with an acquaintence who is a whiz with small engines. In order to carry a line of hand-held OPE, a reasonable assortment of mowers and riders, and enough spares to be useful to walk-in customers, I figured on needing $250k up front.

Starting a business costs money, period. It is an investment, the same as buying stocks or bonds. The nice thing, though, is that you can get financing for this endeavor without putting yourself, personally, at substantial financial risk. That's what banks exist to do, after all. If you're serious about going into business I seriously suggest getting to know a friendly small business banking rep at your local bank branch.

What, trimmers and blowers outsell the saws. How much was you planing on getting into, just saws?, if so they aren't gonna do that..

See, down here, ECHO trimmers and Shindaiwa Trimmers outsell Stihl, At least I rarely see Stihl anything on the sides of the Lawn Care trailors around town.

Having used Stihl, Husky, Echo and Shindaiwa Trimmers, I cna say that Shindaiwa and Echo are better than the other 2 by leaps and bounds, at least the ones I used were.

I guess Ill just give up on Stihl, Bottom line is I dont have 60 wall feet to devote to one brand of powered hand equipment.

The Shop plans I have drawn up give me approx. 1500 sq/ft of showroom, this will include parts retail, riders, and handheld equipment.

I have an invester who is willing to foot 150-200K into land and a building, thats it. Ive got tools, and stuff already, the 150-200 includes finishing the inside completely.

See, down here, ECHO trimmers and Shindaiwa Trimmers outsell Stihl, At least I rarely see Stihl anything on the sides of the Lawn Care trailors around town.

Maybe there is just not a good dealer in your area. Although you would know that I am sure. Have you been into any of the local Stihl dealers? With LC customers I would think you would want trimmers and blowers for sure. Seems to go more with LC than chainsaws, although chainsaws are more fun.

Maybe there is just not a good dealer in your area. Although you would know that I am sure. Have you been into any of the local Stihl dealers? With LC customers I would think you would want trimmers and blowers for sure. Seems to go more with LC than chainsaws, although chainsaws are more fun.

Ive been to ALL the Stihl Dealers (only 2).

they all have a nice spread, one is ONLY stihl, the other sells another brand too.

One I dont like, they are rude, they want to sell you the saws that you make it quite clear you CANT afford, you cant go in and look without being led around on a leash like you are an idiot...

The other, has no intentions of selling stuff...you can pickup a saw...look at it, but dont expect someone to walk over and attempt to help you, you have to go around hunting for a salesman.

2 totally different methods.

The nice thing, though, is that you can get financing for this endeavor without putting yourself, personally, at substantial financial risk. That's what banks exist to do, after all. If you're serious about going into business I seriously suggest getting to know a friendly small business banking rep at your local bank branch.

I hate to be the naysayer here, but no bank in the United States is going to loan a small business money without getting the personal guaranty of the principal. Even the SBA requires it.

I know, I used to do commercial lending.

Ive been to ALL the Stihl Dealers (only 2).

they all have a nice spread, one is ONLY stihl, the other sells another brand too.

One I dont like, they are rude, they want to sell you the saws that you make it quite clear you CANT afford, you cant go in and look without being led around on a leash like you are an idiot...

The other, has no intentions of selling stuff...you can pickup a saw...look at it, but dont expect someone to walk over and attempt to help you, you have to go around hunting for a salesman.

2 totally different methods.

That is what I mean. I wouldn't buy from those guys either. I think that gives you an opportunity.

Ok, so you have not opened your business yet, I was guessing that
before by the way you posted.

If you can get Stihl take it, dicker with them on those startup figures,
they are too high. He is probably trying to blow you off, in a nice way.

Stihl is the main line I would shoot for, forget the others for now. What
little startup money will be soon gone if you start trying to run before you
walk. Briggs has gone outragous on what they are requiring from dealers
now. You will pay a high price, for a better cost on parts, and the "right" to do warranty work................. So being a dealer for every brand should wait
let them come to you. But Stihl is one you should shoot for. In Fla. you will sell lotsa trimmers and blowers.

How bout being a poulan dealer?

He could sell WildThingeys :hmm3grin2orange:

I think the Stihl rep was trying to tell you no thank you in a polite way, that is without saying no thank you.

How bout being a poulan dealer?

Ive thought about it, not sure if they would allow a standalone dealer?

I want a broad selection, but Stihl has priced themselves out of my grasp at this point.

$50K start up package

$10K in stock

----------

This might explain why the few local shops I go into always have an entire wall full of Stihl saws, and then a handful of Huskies, and Echos. Up until now I'd thought it was the owners choice, but it sounds like Stihl decides for you.

Sometimes you need to have more balls than brains to be in business. When a sales rep comes up with a ridiculous figure like that they are testing you. They are looking to see if you are serious by watching your reaction. You need to hold your ground and tell him that that sounds fine and ask him when he can meet with you to go over the details. At that time you can actually discuss with him a reasonable amount of inventory to stock. This should be a full representation of the product line. If you are a good operator you will always sell more than you think!

Don't forget that inventory is floor planned for a short period of time and new dealers typically get longer floor planning terms for their initial order. Reps want to let you think that you will require cash for everything when you really only require the equivalent with the equipment finance company. This means that your cash start-up cost is for the signs displays and some tools only. Furthermore most OEM's will give you 50% Co-Op on the signs and displays.

I am not saying that bringing on a large commitment like this is easy. It is not! But it is not imposable if you have the desire to succeed!

Latest posts

Back