Talking To Stihl Right Now!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes you need to have more balls than brains to be in business. When a sales rep comes up with a ridiculous figure like that they are testing you. They are looking to see if you are serious by watching your reaction. You need to hold your ground and tell him that that sounds fine and ask him when he can meet with you to go over the details. At that time you can actually discuss with him a reasonable amount of inventory to stock. This should be a full representation of the product line. If you are a good operator you will always sell more than you think!

Don't forget that inventory is floor planned for a short period of time and new dealers typically get longer floor planning terms for their initial order. Reps want to let you think that you will require cash for everything when you really only require the equivalent with the equipment finance company. This means that your cash start-up cost is for the signs displays and some tools only. Furthermore most OEM's will give you 50% Co-Op on the signs and displays.

I am not saying that bringing on a large commitment like this is easy. It is not! But it is not imposable if you have the desire to succeed!

I asked him if I could just get some saws and stuff like that, and all the accessories that go with them, including bars, Screnches, oils, chains, etc...He said firmle "NO, WE DONT DO THAT" $50K with a minimum of 50 units and 60 running feet of wall for displays. I have 0 intentions of only carring 1 brand, and all that would take up all my space with stihls.

I know about floorplanning, its not a bad thing, but Id like to start small and own my stock.

Ive been successful thus far by going slow, and being careful.

Ive emailed TANAKA, their stuff looks great, 1,500 hr engine lifetimes, full line of equipment.

I asked him if I could just get some saws and stuff like that, and all the accessories that go with them, including bars, Screnches, oils, chains, etc...He said firmle "NO, WE DONT DO THAT" $50K with a minimum of 50 units and 60 running feet of wall for displays. equipment.

The reason that they come on with the big numbers and requirements is to stop the small guy who only wants to cherry pick their product line. In your case it is because you only want some saws and accessories. If you are serious about a serious line you must take a fair representation of the line. Weather you realize it now or not, it is for your best interest. Like the old saying goes you can't sell it if you don't have it.

If Stihl is the product line that you would ideally like to have and you would be satisfied with taking on the whole line you might be surprised at how much your investment really is.

As far as owning your own inventory that is a great thing. I have never paid a cent of interest on our floor planed inventory. I don't always sell everything before it comes due, I just pay off the few items that are left. You are silly not to take advantage of terms when they are offered, but Wise not to spend beyond your means.

Nothing wrong with Tanaka, but it's going to be tough sale!! At least some people have heard of Dolmar, most know Husky, and everybody knows Stihl.
If you are going for the off brands anyway, look into Efco, they make the new JD saws, seem pretty decent weight to power, and they seem to be well built. Not sure if they want a US market other than JD, but it's a thought to look into.
I doubt it would be a hard sale at all to get Poulan, especially if you offered to start with the whole lineup to see what sold. What do they have now, six saws and three weed eaters to carry?
I know I give you a rash for the WT, they aren't all bad, I'll never own another one. I spend the dough and get another 350 in that position. But for a casual user they do have a purpose.

Nothing wrong with Tanaka, but it's going to be tough sale!! At least some people have heard of Dolmar, most know Husky, and everybody knows Stihl.
If you are going for the off brands anyway, look into Efco, they make the new JD saws, seem pretty decent weight to power, and they seem to be well built. Not sure if they want a US market other than JD, but it's a thought to look into.
I doubt it would be a hard sale at all to get Poulan, especially if you offered to start with the whole lineup to see what sold. What do they have now, six saws and three weed eaters to carry?
I know I give you a rash for the WT, they aren't all bad, I'll never own another one. I spend the dough and get another 350 in that position. But for a casual user they do have a purpose.

I agree with Andy 100%. It will be very hard to start a new business and promote a lesser known product line. You will get far more mileage out of carrying a well known product. You will be able to use the brand awareness of the product line to gain recognition in the area.

I agree with Andy 100%. It will be very hard to start a new business and promote a lesser known product line. You will get far more mileage out of carrying a well known product. You will be able to use the brand awareness of the product line to gain recognition in the area.

I was thinking about that, but if I have a log on a stand in front of the shop, a nice sized one, 12-14" in diameter, and offer to let people use a DEMO unit, its not a hard sell if the equipment is good.

Honestly, down here there isnt any call for a Gas powered drill, Demo Saw or anything like that. There is a huge demand for Pruning saws, general use saws, Straight and curved shaft trimmers, blowers and Hedge trimmers...Gas edgers are also popular, but not a huge demand for good ones.

I would like to offer Echo and Tanaka equipment. Echo is actually a little less expensive than Tanaka from what Im seeing, both have a good history of reliabilty and Quality. Tanaka just was never sold around here, I feel like I can sell them though. Id always have the cheaper Curved shaft Echo's for people who didnt want to drop the coin on a top notch Tanaka.

Id like to have 1 of all the Echo saws, and 1 of all the Tanaka saws, with 1 Id buy for Demo use. Have 1 each of the Echo curved trimmers, and each of the Tanaka Trimmers. A couple Echo blowers, And a couple Tanaka Blowers. Id probably only have one example of the more expensive Echo trimmers, they are all basically the same trimmer with subtle differences. If I dont have it, I can get it pretty quickly, thats how most everything i down here.

My freinds ECHO lineup is 5 saws, about 12 trimmers, and 3 blowers...thats it, its all setup on a nice ECHO display rack.

Then Id have 1 each of al lthe split boom tools, and 1 Tanaka Shaft driven Edger.

Again, Im just looking to give a broad overview of the different models, if they want a model I dont have, Ill give em a loaner and order the one they want, of course it will be pre-paid.

Its all just an idea at this point, ya know.

But I know if you have a good product, the price will sell itself. NEVER try and sell a customer on the price, NEVER. Sell em the saw and the price will be secondary.

The reason that they come on with the big numbers and requirements is to stop the small guy who only wants to cherry pick their product line. In your case it is because you only want some saws and accessories. If you are serious about a serious line you must take a fair representation of the line. Weather you realize it now or not, it is for your best interest. Like the old saying goes you can't sell it if you don't have it.

If Stihl is the product line that you would ideally like to have and you would be satisfied with taking on the whole line you might be surprised at how much your investment really is.

As far as owning your own inventory that is a great thing. I have never paid a cent of interest on our floor planed inventory. I don't always sell everything before it comes due, I just pay off the few items that are left. You are silly not to take advantage of terms when they are offered, but Wise not to spend beyond your means.

To me, They would welcome ANYONE who wants to sell their equipment, that would only make sense. Even if its just a few saws and accessories, if I carry a line other than theirs, its a sale they miss out on.

Forgive my ignorance

I've been idly wondering what Stihl would initially require to set up a new dealer, or add the line into an existing shop.

Those initial investments @ startup seemed a bit low (?!) Does that $50k include point of sale stuff (displays/racks, signs/banners, catalogs, etc.) or is that all equipment? $10k "Stock" means spare parts, oil, and supplies?

Sixty running feet of display means what, exactly? 60 feet from floor to ceiling filled with product?

If there's one thing I took away from my (short) time as a Snap-on salesman, it was that most everything in business is negotiable. I agree that the regional rep was likely testing you out for a reaction. If they are serious about establishing a dealer in your area, they will probably work with you on a lot of the requirements.

For sure, scope out the other brands and see how they roll... I can understand Stihl -and the others- wanting a new dealer to stock & support their whole spectrum of products (as much as I can understand your initial desire to carry & support just one or a couple types.)

If you do decide to hang out your shingle, I wish you the best of luck with it.

Last edited:

There is a dealer in my area that carries Efco branded saws, not the JD ones. Is Efco not the old Olympyk company?

Chuck

50K??? Inventoty/spares? That's about 5X what we carry at any time... Tell your sales rep to get real...

If the 50K included 60 feet of Concept 2... well... that's possible... tell them you'll do 20 feet for the first 6 months.

Last edited:
There is a dealer in my area that carries Efco branded saws, not the JD ones. Is Efco not the old Olympyk company?

Chuck

I honestly cannot say Chuck. They all seem to play the "new name of the month" game so much, it's hard o keep up who owns who anymore!!!!

I think Lake just nailed it!!! But you really aren't a Stihl guy anyway Red, so why wrork so hard to woo them?

Aha

Emak USA markets Efco as a premiere brand yada yada yada

Based in Italy, so I would bet that it is the former Olympyk. Not really bad saws from what my limited experience was with two of them.

No brand recogknition there though, just nuts like us that remember when.

Chuck

I own an olympk and have run several Efcos. They are quality saws.

Yes, they are the same company. I like everything except the price. If they cost as much as Stihl. I'm buying Stihl.

Fred

I own an olympk and have run several Efcos. They are quality saws.

Yes, they are the same company. I like everything except the price. If they cost as much as Stihl. I'm buying Stihl.

Fred

In the same situation I would make exactly the same purchase, well maybe not Stihl but you get the idea.

Kind of a shame that there are good saws out there and due to lack of market share, brand recognition, or marketing budget, they fall to the wayside.

Chuck

50K??? Inventoty/spares? That's about 5X what we carry at any time... Tell your sales rep to get real...

If the 50K included 60 feet of Concept 2... well... that's possible... tell them you'll do 20 feet for the first 6 months.

He said it would need 60 Running Feet to be considered. He said Id HAVE to have all the displays, a certain amount of ALL models produced, and inventory that STIHL would specify, as well as Accessories.

I have no intentions of "showing" something that isnt going to move, I mean, would it be logical for Dodge dealers to stock 30 Vipers? And chevy dealers to stock 50 vettes? NO, of course not ,they know what sells and they stock just that.

I did mention I would be selling a 2nd brand, and he kinda...you know, had that "awkward silence" about it..I see Stihl Dealers setting Stihls next to Huskys all the dang time.

If they want 15K for "special displays" or whatever it is...then screw em. No wonder Stihls are so expensive, Its a freakin displays.:laugh:

Ideally, Id like to sell ALL brands..but that isnt going to happen.

Imagine walking into a Well lit showroom that is one large circle. On the walls Hangs Stihl, Echo, Husky, Dolmar, Jonsered, Solo, etc..SAWS ONLY, then in the center, Trimmers from all brands hanging on a display, and between the center and outer displays, Backpack blowers and hand blowers, along with hedge trimmers and accessories.

No special "areas" for certain brands, all brands displayed equally to the customers around the circle.

Damn I gotta stop dremaing

I just figured we have about 30K in saws not counting parts, oil, bars, chain, etc.:dizzy:

But we started out by ordering a few pieces at a time & grew it from there.

Steve

I just figured we have about 30K in saws not counting parts, oil, bars, chain, etc.:dizzy:

But we started out by ordering a few pieces at a time & grew it from there.

Steve

Thats what Im looking to do. But it a little at a time, and accumulate a full line over time.

Thats what Im looking to do. But it a little at a time, and accumulate a full line over time.

I wonder if Stihl insists on such a huge initial splash so people don't come in to a half stocked showroom and then conclude that you "Don't have $hit in stock" ??
:taped:
dunno

I wonder if Stihl insists on such a huge initial splash so people don't come in to a half stocked showroom and then conclude that you "Don't have $hit in stock" ??
:taped:
dunno

Thats why I want to start out with a good general representation from a brand, what I dont have, I can get.

Look at alllll the stihl saws and their respective catagories.

MS210 and MS250 can adequately represent the occasional user cats.

MS280 and MS310 have the Mid Ranged user covered.

MS361, MS441, MS660 and MS880 can adequately cover the pro user cat.

All other models are "A little lighter, and a little less powerful, or a little heavier, and a little more power, Up to the next model I have.

So I mean, with 10 saws, I feel I could represent the 33 current production models.

And if a customer really wanted a model I didnt have, I can get it. but to have all 33 on hand all the time...in this area it would make no sense.

Latest posts

Back