WoodsmanPro Saw Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docshank

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Is the Woodsman Pro RC saw chain any good? How does it compare to the Stihl RS chain? Thanks

docshank

Stihl chains is the best you can buy IMO. I use oregon and stihl mainly but the loop Woodsman Pro i used cut fine.

I have been using woodsman pro chains for 2 years now. I like it a lot. I have always used Stihl prior to that. I switch between the 2 all the time as i sharpen them. The only real difference i notice is that the stihl chain seems to stay sharper longer, but it is pretty expensive. For the price difference i think it is worth the trade off. I also don't feel as bad when i hit somthing and wreck a chain knowing it was only $10

I'm just a weekend wood cutter.

Like Tdunk said Stihl is making the best chain out there right now, and it's really all I use. But the general consensus seems to be that the woodsman pro (Carlton) chain is a good second choice to the Stihl. All of the Carlton (woodsman pro) chain's I've ever used have been top notch and cut well although a little soft and don‘t keep an edge as well as the Stihl chain. Never been a fan of Oregon chain, if I had the choice between running an Oregon chain you gave me or running Stihl chain at full price.....I'd be running Stihl. :clap:

Well,to each his own about chain.I bought three loops,72 drivers last year.I don't like it myself.Either the chain sucks or I don't know how to file it.

Maybe it's me,I used a 10 degree up like Oregon,maybe I screwed up.Never the less I'm going to attack a loop presently.It will either cut or become a tiny boat anchor.Whatever,I have three loops of new Oregon to replace it.

I haven't liked the WP I have run. The 20NK chain was so unreliable I stopped running it when it was only half used up. The cutters were braking off. I'll stick with Stihl or Oregon.

I have been using woodsman pro chains for 2 years now. I like it a lot. I have always used Stihl prior to that. I switch between the 2 all the time as i sharpen them. The only real difference i notice is that the stihl chain seems to stay sharper longer, but it is pretty expensive. For the price difference i think it is worth the trade off. I also don't feel as bad when i hit somthing and wreck a chain knowing it was only $10

I'm just a weekend wood cutter.

Same story for me, I like the way it cuts and is easier to hand file than RS, but I only have that in .325.

I haven't liked the WP I have run. The 20NK chain was so unreliable I stopped running it when it was only half used up. The cutters were braking off. I'll stick with Stihl or Oregon.

Pretty common with the 20NK, from what I have read - Oregon 95VP holds up though...

I believe none of the Carlton/WP chain have the low-vibe chassis - it may make a difference to some.

Back