It's here! My new American AM-30HH

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rx7145

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
After about two months of waiting my new AmericanCLS splitter is here! Specs are:

8hp B&S with 16GPM pump
4hp 240v electric motor with 16gpm pump
4x30 Ram
5.5 gallon oil tank
2700psi system pressure
Four way slip on wedge
Splitting table
Rear hitch

If the electric pump looks familiar it is. It is from my old northern project. See here for that thread: http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=53686

I shipped the pump/motor to American and they installed it on the splitter and did all the plumbing for it. They also worked with me to make sure that the splitter was just what I wanted. And it is! I spend all day today using it lots of power, fast and smooth, just what a splitter should be. It's like a smaller version of the TW-5 but I think it could do anything that it could.

This splitter is built "beefy" very well made.:clap: If anyone is thinking about a homeowner/comerical unit give Larry a call.

http://www.americanmsr.com/logsplitters.htm

Now for the Pics:

Splitter017.jpg

Splitter016.jpg

Splitter015.jpg

Splitter019.jpg

Splitter020.jpg

Last edited:
Nice Splitter

Wow thanks for the pics, real neat that AmericanCLS worked with your custom added items. Looks real handy with the lift and all, what length log can you split? Looks longer than the typical 24"-25". That 4 way looks awesome in action (last pic). Did you sell your Northern 37 ton? Is AmericanCLS close, or did they ship it truck to ya? That thing should last you forever...

Wow thanks for the pics, real neat that AmericanCLS worked with your custom added items. Looks real handy with the lift and all, what length log can you split? Looks longer than the typical 24"-25". That 4 way looks awesome in action (last pic). Did you sell your Northern 37 ton? Is AmericanCLS close, or did they ship it truck to ya? That thing should last you forever...

Without the four way installed I can split a 32'' log. I will never go back to 24'' again.

I still have the Northern, it is for sale at the local chainsaw shop, hope it sells soon. I drove 222mi and Larry (from American) drove 280mi, we met at a truck stop in NY and I took delivery of the splitter.:)

Thanks for the compliments.:clap:

Without being stupid, and the link provided not working...what is the electric pump for? while close to the garage?

I like the overall looks of the splitter...much more usefull than those small little guys.

What did the setup run you, if you don't mind me asking. I would think about something like that if it doesn't break the bank.

Without being stupid, and the link provided not working...what is the electric pump for? while close to the garage?

I like the overall looks of the splitter...much more usefull than those small little guys.

What did the setup run you, if you don't mind me asking. I would think about something like that if it doesn't break the bank.

Sorry the link is fixed now.

I do a lot of splitting close to my shop and wanted a easy way of powering the splitter without gas or maintenance. The electric motor was the best way to do that. But you also need to run the splitter out in the woods with no outlet for miles so that is were the gas engine comes in.

I paid just under 4k. That included all of the custom work and delivery.

Last edited:
ohhh, just noticed you are in ashland...

Wooster here. My sweetie lives in New london, so I pass through the area quite a bit.

Where is your northern splitter at and how much? M&M's???

ohhh, just noticed you are in ashland...

Wooster here. My sweetie lives in New london, so I pass through the area quite a bit.

Where is your northern splitter at and how much? M&M's???

Small world. Yes the splitter is at M&M's asking $1800.

Sorry the link is fixed now.

I do a lot of splitting close to my shop and wanted a easy way of powering the splitter without gas or maintenance. The electric motor was the best way to do that. But you also need to run the splitter out in the woods with no outlet for miles so that is were the gas engine comes in.

I paid just under 4k. That included all of the custom work and delivery.

interesting and very nice looking splitter :cheers: How much was the electric motor and pump? Does the motor run off 120 or 220? I assume you use it most of the time? Would you say it outperforms the gas engine? :cheers:

Last edited:
That is a really sweet setup! I really like the dual power supply /pump configuration.

Ed

interesting and very nice looking splitter :cheers: How much was the electric motor and pump? Does the motor run off 120 or 220? I assume you use it most of the time? Would you say it outperforms the gas engine? :cheers:

It is 240v Draws about 18amps. I use it every time I can to save the engine and my ears. It does not out perform the gas engine. For some reason it has a faster cycle time but less power.

very impressive splitter! nice custom work.. pretty much has everything.

excellent that you could tow that splitter 500+ miles. looks like full size tires.

32in... you must be supporting an OWB...

Without the four way installed I can split a 32'' log. I will never go back to 24'' again.

I still have the Northern, it is for sale at the local chainsaw shop, hope it sells soon. I drove 222mi and Larry (from American) drove 280mi, we met at a truck stop in NY and I took delivery of the splitter.:)

Thanks for the compliments.:clap:

yo...rx7145...i was just at american's web site browsing around. they show a splitter at the bottom of that page that has an adjustable wedge.

did you get that option?

Last edited:
yo...rx7145...i was just at american's web site browsing around. they show a splitter at the bottom of that page that has an adjustable wedge.

did you get that option?

No that was even more $$. I just have the slip on wedge. American also sells a six way wedge as well.:)

Rx,

I am seriously considering an American splitter........25HH with the 8hp briggs. Does yours seem quiet enough and how does it do on fuel consumption? I don't see the 30HH on their website........does yours have the 16gpm pump?

I know alot of the older briggs are loud but the intek series looks to have a quieter muffler and appears to be a more efficient design.

I like the Honda, but already breaking the bank if I get one and didn't want the additional $275 cost.

The unit I want has the pans and extended hitch, not the reverse hitch, plus it has the log lift. I can see advantages to the reverse hitch, but I would think the tongue weight with the reverse hitch would be too much to move around by hand.

How does it tow? With the large tires properly inflated I would think it would tow rather nicely.

Waylan

Rx,

I am seriously considering an American splitter........25HH with the 8hp briggs. Does yours seem quiet enough and how does it do on fuel consumption? I don't see the 30HH on their website........does yours have the 16gpm pump?

I know alot of the older briggs are loud but the intek series looks to have a quieter muffler and appears to be a more efficient design.

I like the Honda, but already breaking the bank if I get the american splitter I want and didn't want the additional $275 cost.

The unit I want has the pans and extended hitch, not the reverse hitch, plus it has the log lift. I can see advantages to the reverse hitch, but I would think the tongue weight with the reverse hitch would be too much to move around by hand. With the extended hitch, there is plenty of drop room for the wood as it falls off the pans.

How does it yours tow? With the large tires properly inflated I would think it would tow rather nicely.

Waylan

Rx,

Yes it has the 16gpm pump. Fuel consumption is good I used it for two pickup truck loads and used about 1/2 tank. As far as noise it is about the same as the Honda, just a little louder. The 30HH is the same as a 25HH it just has a 30" inch stroke.

I would agree.

I like the Honda, but already breaking the bank if I get the american splitter I want and didn't want the additional $275 cost.

Same here.

The unit I want has the pans and extended hitch, not the reverse hitch, plus it has the log lift. I can see advantages to the reverse hitch, but I would think the tongue weight with the reverse hitch would be too much to move around by hand. With the extended hitch, there is plenty of drop room for the wood as it falls off the pans.

The unit is very easy to move around by hand, it is balanced very well.

How does it yours tow? With the large tires properly inflated I would think it would tow rather nicely.

Like a dream. The larger tires help so much.

Waylan

I really like my American. Some say that are not built "beefy" but I don't see it.:monkey:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back