Magic Tonic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RES

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
It is time for me to work on the woodpile. I haven't used My saws for awhile. All the saws were running fine when I put them away, last fall. My 020 spins the chain while idling. My old Dolmar won't idle. Is there any magic tonic to run through saws that have been setting awhile to get them running properly without, cleaning carbureators,etc.

Did you run the old gas out or at least dump it? If not that is probably the problem, go get some good octane fuel and some good two cycle mix, husqvarna xp or stihl ultra and give that a try.

Sometimes I have had good luck spraying WD-40 in the carb throat.......the oil lubes temporarily, and the propellant is propane which will often respond to a firing spark plug in much the same way as gasoiline. I useda be baddabout leaving old gas in things, butt not now that I have CAD!!!!!!

Did you run the old gas out or at least dump it? If not that is probably the problem, go get some good octane fuel and some good two cycle mix, husqvarna xp or stihl ultra and give that a try.

Sounds like what I'd do. Hope it works for you, if not looks like you'll be cleaning some carbs. About a week or so ago, there was a thread going on "mothballing" your chainsaws. Might help when you put them away again.

If my saws are going to be sitting for awhile (doesnt happen very often)I try to run the saw out of gas first and dump out any that might be left in the tank:cheers:

if your using seafoam its good stuff, you can put it in the gas and run it or you can put it down the carb throat itself while the motor is running. what i use to do was idle the motor and feed the seafoam in the carb and let it kill the motor and would just let it sit in the carb, then start the motor whenever. It cleans carbon up pretty good. You can mix it in with your premix. I mixed in with mobil 2t. my stihl smokes more from the seafoam than it does the premix. I personally like b-12 chem tool. It comes in a aersol can and in a regular can in liquid form.I never saw seaform in a aersol can. I like the spray cans of b-12 i give it short spray bursts when the motor is running occasionally. It seems to clear things up.its all about personal preference though. there both good products.

Last edited:
Not familiar with "sea foam", but the engine fogger I use you just warm the engine up, Kill the engine, then remove the air filter. Re-start the engine and when it starts to spuutter(carb out of fuel), I spray a shot into the carb. Let the carb vacum pull it thru into the cylinder. That way, you have a good coating on all the lines and passageways throughout. If it's for long term storage, I pull the plug and spray some directly into the cylinder, pull the engine over and repeat.
Some guys won't spray into the carb, and just do the cylinder treatment. It depends on the mfg,, follow their directions. When it comes to bringing your engine back on line, just add fresh mix, prime and start. The engine may smoke a little until all the fogger is expelled out the exhaust. If you use a lot of fogger, sometimes it may be a little harder to start the engine.I always pull the plug and clean any residue off before I try...

According to the Seafoam MSDS, it's:

1 PALE OIL.................40-60%
2 NAPHTHA................25-35%
3 Isopropyl Alcohol......10-20%

What's Pale oil you ask? In the words of LS53, "basically nothing special at all"

NOCO PALE OILS are light colored, non-staining naphthenic oils refined from specially selected wax-free crude through the use of severe hydrogenation. This process produces oils of excellent initial color and color stability while maintaining their compatibility with most synthetic elastomers.

Process Oil Features

* excellent initial color and color stability
* superior processing characteristics
* excellent polymer compatibility

Applications

* excellent balance of properties for rubber compounding
* ideal for processing polymers with low unsaturates
* resin extending, secondary plasticizer for PVC
* textile and caulking compounding formulations

yes.. it's nothing special... the isopropal will help get rid of any water in the gas, but in saws - new gas with a decent mix oil is as good.

There is NOTHING in seafoam that removes carbon... no matter what they claim.

Sometimes I have had good luck spraying WD-40 in the carb throat.......the oil lubes temporarily, and the propellant is propane which will often respond to a firing spark plug in much the same way as gasoiline. I useda be baddabout leaving old gas in things, butt not now that I have CAD!!!!!!

The propellant in WD-40 was changed to <p>CO<sub>2</sub> - Carbon Dioxide

The propellant in WD-40 was changed to <p>CO<sub>2</sub> - Carbon Dioxide

You had to go tell him that! Much more fun to watch guys spray WD in and then come to the store any tell me it has no spark:greenchainsaw:

I ask why they tried to use a fire extingusher, and I get the oddest looks :)

Latest posts

Back