Stihl 044 vs Husky 372XP: Features...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigsnowdog

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am interested in comments by those who have used both saws, regarding

1. Air filters: I am not impressed with the air filter cover latches on the Husky, think the Stihl filter arrangement is better. Your feelings on that?

2. How do you compare the controls, meaning.... the manipulation necessary to start, involving throttle, throttle locks, choke, compression release, and all related to that?

3. Any other comments pertaining to physical features or maintenance issues?

thank you...

I think the 372 has a few more user friendly features than the 044 does. I really like the clasp arrangement for the filtre cover, which allows quicker access to the airbox. Also the 372 has less vibration. Its a pro saw in every way, as is the 044.
Whether you buy a Stihl or Husky is inconsequential. What matters is how well you are prepared to look after it. Buying a pro saw or any other piece of quality equipment does not immediately suggest that the owner is a pro as well.
I guess my point is, is that someone with a 346XP, who knows what they are doing can easily cut circles around someone with an 044 who doesnt.
On the other hand, we are all entitled to buy whatever we ???? well please.
John

when i was looking for a saw in the 70-
80cc class range my options were a 372 an 044 or an 046..... i have the 046 'nuff said!

I have a 372xp, and I love it. My buddy has an 044, and loves it. There are many things I do and don't like about each saw. The 372 has a compression release, the 044 does not. The 044 has a much easier start/choke/fast idle system. Husky is still the old style on the 372xp, start, choke, are separate. 044 has elasto-start handle, which is very nice, but you can put one on a 372. The air filtration systems on both are good, but I prefer the husky since the air going into the filter is already cleaner, therefore needing much less filter cleaning. The husky filter setup is also much easier to clean when the time comes. Stihls side tension is very good, been around a long time, Husky finally went to it, and that was quite an improvement. I like the feel of a husky better, and they are easier to modify due to the entire intake and exhaust design. This probably doesn't help, but things that you should know before buying. Try and run them both before buying. Both awesome saws. Good luck.

I have a 044 and I'm very happy with it and I have been for the past 4 years,but if I was to be looking for a new saw that size I would definetly buy a 372 I agree with John I think the are alot more user friendly and personally I like the antivibe setup on the Huskies compared to the Stihls..

Later Rob..

I bought a used 044 for real cheap and I love it, I, like you hate the snaps on the husky, I also hate that they do not have a trigger lock when trying to start also I bought a used husky and a new one and had bad luck with both so I will stick with what works for me Stihl. I would say that with eitherone you will come out ahead if you take care of them.

AJ, when you want to lock a modern Husky on hi idle, you just pull the choke out. You can push it back in if the engine is warm and it will remain locked into hi idle until you burp the throttle. Russ

Hi Russ, it's amazing how many saw owners dont figure out that the half throttle lock is within the choke lever. An old friend of mine bought a 2171 at a pawn shop in Dawson Creek and after 3 months of use complained about how poorly it started. When I showed him how it worked he was quite happy.
John

Hi Gypo I see your still harvesting all the Cherry in Canada veneer logs I imagine :rolleyes:So whats up with DB and the 200??I personally like the Husky setup I have heard of some people losing the choke lever pulling off on the newer saws..but it has'nt happened to me yet knock on wood...

Later Rob..

Hi Rob, I will be going to Dougs property in the near future to do a preliminary cruise of the timber and its quality. I have suggested to Doug that a light commercial cut be done first in order to maximize the value of the timber. Judging from the arial photographs, it appears the area hasnt been logged in some time. The N.E corner of the parcel is virtually inacessable and hasnt been cut, so we are wieghing the financial merits of heli logging based on its relative value against the costs of extraction.
Will keep you posted as to the outcome. Your grapple skidder would come in handy on the primary staging area.
John

what are mill prices up ya'lls way?? they droped 50% down here a month ago:(

I just purchased a 372xp husky on 12/16/02 & I am very happy with it!! Even better yet,I cant wait till it is fully broken in. Ripped thru a 20 in. oak today without even bogging down one bit. And as mentioned by someone else, the new huskies are set up to run so that after it fires with the choke pulled,take off the choke, pull again & it will be running at 1/2 throttle. As far as the snap cover goes, mine works just fine. The side tensioner is a definite improvement for husky.I also own a stihl , which I happen to like, ms310(1 1/2 mos. old). The 372 is set up with a 20 in. bar. The 310 with a 18 in. bar. Hope you are happy with either saw you choose.:)

Glad your happy with your new toy the 372 is a excellent choice it's a very good all around saw to have in the stable :D

Later Rob..

Hey tree_reaper, weren`t you originally looking at a 385? The 372 is a good choice and now you know it too. Glad to hear you like it. Russ

;) Nice saw bwalker, is it an 044? The air cover looks like my 044 they sure are nice saws.:blob2:

jokers, stihl magnum, gypo,bwalker

Thanks for all your input on deciding between the 372 & the 385. The biggest factor was the weight issue. Once you pick them up, that 2 lbs. makes a big difference.One wouldnt want to be bent over all day with a 385 in his hands, he may not be able to straighten back up! LOL :p Not only does this saw cut awesome, it sounds great. Reminds me of my old 85' CR500 dirt bike. Thanks again fellas, I really appreciate it.

Glad we could help you out good luck with your new saw...Oh yeah and using the 385XP all day really is'nt all that bad I can still stand up at the end of the day...LOL :D

Later Rob..

bwalker

Sounds like you cut some pretty serious firewood, last week my dad and I cut 2 real nice size 3' hedge and 5 ash, some of the ash were only 1 to 2' in dia. but we had two that were every bit of 4 to 5' dia. I had my 025 and my 044. I like my 025 more and more every time I use it, that little saw really has a lot of power for a small "consumer" saw, and of course my 044 performed like magic, I have a 28" bar on it and it never bogs down even in the hardest of woods, sounds like a dirt bike when you open it up. :cool:

Latest posts

Back