New pictures of "Babe"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gr8scott72

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I finally got "Babe, the Blue Ox" all cleaned up and got a few good pictures. Thought I'd share:

2008-06-03002.jpg

2008-06-03003.jpg

2008-06-03006.jpg

Sweet!!!!!!!

Dude, I wanna see some pics of that damned thing in action eh? You best get to work bro, lol...

:cheers: eh?

That thing looks a mini excavator turned stump grinder, I bet that thing gets with the program. Nice machine.

Dude, I wanna see some pics of that damned thing in action eh? You best get to work bro, lol...

:cheers: eh?

I've had it for just over a month now. Made a bunch of money already. Here's a couple of "in-action" pictures:

2008-05-25011.jpg

2008-05-25010.jpg

That's my son (13) helping me and no, he's not near as close to the machine as it looks in that picture.

Pictures courtesy of my daughter (12). They both like going with me on jobs.

Last edited:
That's my son (13) helping me and no, he's not near as close to the machine as it looks in that picture.

Pictures courtesy of my daughter (12). They both like going with me on jobs.

OK... but do THEY have hearing protection? I notice you do....

Nice rig. Boy, someone should have cut that stump down lower before you ground it. If I am asked to grind a tall stump like that, I nearly double the price. After all, you are doing 2 or 3 times the normal amount of grinding on that darn tall stump.
I really like my 2800 tracked Bandit machine. If Carlton had a local dealer here, I would have given their tracked machines a serious look. However, my Bandit is great. Don't know how I ever got along without a big diesel machine.
Good luck with your Carlton. Hope it makes you a lot of money.
Jeff

Nice rig. Boy, someone should have cut that stump down lower before you ground it. If I am asked to grind a tall stump like that, I nearly double the price. After all, you are doing 2 or 3 times the normal amount of grinding on that darn tall stump.
I really like my 2800 tracked Bandit machine. If Carlton had a local dealer here, I would have given their tracked machines a serious look. However, my Bandit is great. Don't know how I ever got along without a big diesel machine.
Good luck with your Carlton. Hope it makes you a lot of money.
Jeff

If you notice, they started to cut it lower but didn't finish cutting it all the way thru. The tree service was there the day before and got rained out. I was able to cut about 1/4 of the top of that stump and got to where they had cut it. Then I just pushed the loose top off with the carlton.

How many HP is that dude? Looks like a Kubota motor? Really nice setup, What does a setup like that run? If you don't mind me asking, if you do I understand.

How many HP is that dude? Looks like a Kubota motor? Really nice setup, What does a setup like that run? If you don't mind me asking, if you do I understand.

It's a 60 hp deutz air cooled 3 cylindar turbo diesel. New they are about $46k. I found this one with 162 hours on it for $29,500. Drove from Mississippi to Maryland to pick it up. 16 hours one way.

How much did you charge for the stump in the picture? I want to get a larger machine but am having a hard time justifying the outlay of cash.

A very competent looking machine.

Glad you posted that it was an unfinished cut, rather than a failed few. I am very wary of failed final cuts. Sometimes there is very steel rod reason etc for them. And a few times times I've had chunks break off and shoot into the distance. The last time I scored a direct hit on a rake I'd lent against a wall, about ten paces away. Its otherwise sound handle, was snapped in two.

How much did you charge for the stump in the picture? I want to get a larger machine but am having a hard time justifying the outlay of cash.

Hard to say as the whole job was $900 for 14 stumps, 9 of which I did chip removal and filled in with top soil. Took all day.

That one stump would probably be about $60 around here (no clean up) but prices are very cheap here. One good thing about doing stumps here is there is NO rocks in the soil so I don't really break teeth. In about 40 hours on that machins, I've only broken 6 teeth and 4 of those broke at the same time when I hit something in one stump. I heard it go "tink" but never found what I hit.

$60????? I'm glad you're in Mississippi!!!! Don't you come over this way and start working!! That stump is $175 as it sits, $115-120 if it were cut down.

How long did it take??

Good looking dog by the way!!!

Boy, I agree with this statement. Around here, if that stump is cut down, I would get $150.00 - 175.00 to grind it, with no chip removal. I don't know how you can make a living at those low prices. At least your new machine will allow you to get in, get done, and get out fast.
Jeff

$60????? I'm glad you're in Mississippi!!!! Don't you come over this way and start working!! That stump is $175 as it sits, $115-120 if it were cut down.

How long did it take??

Good looking dog by the way!!!

Boy, I agree with this statement. Around here, if that stump is cut down, I would get $150.00 - 175.00 to grind it, with no chip removal. I don't know how you can make a living at those low prices. At least your new machine will allow you to get in, get done, and get out fast.
Jeff

Ever since Katrina, there's lots of competition and the public still thinks they can get stumps done for $8 each. At least I don't have any rocks to worry with.

Here's the rest of my stuff:

Truck is a 93 Ford F-250 SuperCab Long Bed 2WD with the 460 V8 with 135k miles that I got for $2,800:

2008-06-05012.jpg

2008-06-05006.jpg

Plywood for screen and to use under machine to keep from damaging turf if needed and the 4 sections of chain that I had welded straight to the frame to tie Babe down:

2008-06-05004.jpg

2008-06-03001.jpg

2008-06-05013.jpg

Wheelbarrow is mounted on side and is lockable:
2008-06-05010.jpg

Stihl BR600, diesel can, gas mix for Alpine grinder and chainsaw and blower, 5 gal water cooler, spare tire, and scoop mount:

2008-06-05008.jpg

Hand tools across the front:

2008-06-05009.jpg

Back