New pictures of "Babe"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About how long does it take to grind a stump like the one in the pic.

The one in the last picture probably took me about 1.5 hours, root ball and all. That was one big pile of mulch when I got done.

One of the ones I did Saturday was about 48" across and almost 4' of trunk sticking out of the ground and the root ball was over 15' in diameter. It was a tornado blow-over that once cut, the trunk fell back into the whole but I still had to dig all those roots and dirt. That one took about 3 hours by itself. That one had a MASSIVE pile of mulch. :dizzy:

I, too, have done one like the one I just described with my Rayco 1625 (27 horse) It was almost flush cut and didn't have near the root ball and it still took my about 10 hours over the corse of several days. (It was at my dad's house and there was no hurry.)

2008-06-20009.jpg

To give you an idea of how big this one was, the home owner had used his 16" saw and cut as far in all the way around as he could and was still probably about 5" - 6" short of cutting that top section off.

Watching you grind in shorts standing way out there makes me want a big remote machine even more!! I hate dust!!!

Watching you grind in shorts standing way out there makes me want a big remote machine even more!! I hate dust!!!

Dust, yellow jackets, fire ants, just walk a little further away. :clap:

Oh, and I have a stool to sit on while grinding also.

Can you get a beer can helmet with full ppe (face shield and muffs)??? As long as you're sitting there in shorts, you might as well have a cool brew to keep you comfortable. :cheers:

Can you get a beer can helmet with full ppe (face shield and muffs)??? As long as you're sitting there in shorts, you might as well have a cool brew to keep you comfortable. :cheers:

LOL, As long as you have dust covers over the can openings, sure hate to ruin a good tasting beer with saw dust

Your set up looks real professional and organized. I hate to see some ramshackle looking mess pull up to my place to do some work. Shows great care and pride in your machinery, and will will extend to the work you do. Kudos.

Does the trailer dump?

I think the locks on everything are a good idea too, damn thieves will take anything now, even a shovel they arent able to operate!

Your set up looks real professional and organized. I hate to see some ramshackle looking mess pull up to my place to do some work. Shows great care and pride in your machinery, and will will extend to the work you do. Kudos.

Does the trailer dump?

I think the locks on everything are a good idea too, damn thieves will take anything now, even a shovel they arent able to operate!

Thanks!

No, the trailer doesn't dump.

I actually am thinking about getting an Isuzu NRP or Mitsu Fuso with a small box on it for the gas mileage. My truck pulling the grinder gets 7.5 mpg.

Well, here's an update on my tow vehicle. I've finished beefing up my Durango and now it's the only thing that drags Babe. (Time to sell the Ford.)

The Durango has the big 360 V8.

I had the tranny rebuilt back in Feb with clutch packs that are about 4 times bigger than stock. They actually had to machine the housing out to get all the guts to fit back in. It also has a shift kit and barks the tires anytime you get on it going into 2nd gear.

I had the rear gears swapped from 3.55:1 to 4.56:1. This was a HUGE improvement and I'll gladly take the mpg penalty for the acceleration advantage. It will tow the grinder, which with trailer and tools and fuel I figure to be just over 6,000 lbs, at 75 mph with the cruise on and never even downshift. I get about 11 mpg while towing in town or on the highway.

I had a leaf spring added to the rear.

Just put on Hawk Superduty brake pads up front.

Installed Bilstein HD shocks all the way around. (Stock shocks were TOAST at 104k miles.)

Battery took a dump last week and I put an Optima Red Top in it.

New tires this last week. Yokohama Geolander H/T-S in 265/75/15 size. GREAT ride now as far as smooth, quiet, and handling/braking.

Youtube video of Durango doing 0-70 mph empty

and here's the picture with it all cleaned up with the new tires:
2008-10-13013.jpg

2008-10-13015.jpg

Here's the rear view with the new fold-up ramps on the trailer. LOVE them.
2008-10-13016.jpg

2008-10-13017.jpg

Last edited:
Duffer,

Where'd you get the grapple trailer from and what did you have to give for it?

Do you find it was worth the money to get the grapple on the trailer vs hauling your mini skid along to load it?

The Trailer is called a JMS I can load 9500 lbs in it safely. I use my 2500 to pull it. It can lift 2000 lbs next to the Trailer at half extension 1500lbs and at full 1200lbs I have lifted mu carton 2700 which is 1600lbs. it's not bad but if i had to do it again i would get a goose neck and axles of 10.000lbs now they are 8000lbs it's 14 ft box by6 wide 30 inch sides and 12 inch grill.

It's a 60 hp deutz air cooled 3 cylindar turbo diesel. New they are about $46k. I found this one with 162 hours on it for $29,500. Drove from Mississippi to Maryland to pick it up. 16 hours one way.

My friend has he same engine on his Carlton. Last year it went out. The engine only had 400-500 hours. They said there was a recall on the air box. He missed the deadline for having to have to have it changed. A new engine installed on the machine was a little over 9k. You might want to check on that. Just a heads up.

Scott

How is the track mode , I lov the power my 7015 has. My is a 2006 it( that hurt) bought new but the only thing i find on the wheel model is the mulch is always push is front of the wheels and i am constantly have to move it or you will never get the same depth, do you know what i mean.

Last edited:
How is the track mode , I lov the power my 7015 has. My is a 2006 it( that hurt) bought new but the only thing i find on the wheel model is the mulch is always push is front of the wheels and i am constantly have to move it or you will never get the same depth, do you know what i mean.

Mine has a similair problem but with being 800 lbs heavier than the wheeled version, I don't think it climbs the chips quite as much as yours.

I'm about to start using like a 4x4 or a 6x6 post to run over the machine with so that when it's up to the stump, the rear of the tracks is on the post and the machine is at a downward angle. That should get me a few more inches.

Back