My firewood Setup

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petr51488

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Here's what i got for my setup. I have a 6x12 bri-mar dump trailer that can hold slighlty over 2 cords and the box you see in the bed of both pickups can hold 1 cord. (Only have one) I. have 2 2500hd trucks. The blue is a gas, and the red is a diesel. The dump gets pulled with the red diesel. I sell roughly 20-30 cords a year, with more and more every year as my equipment gets upgraded. At first i would haul the wood like in the picture with the red truck. After that, i bought a dump trailer and am using that. Life is sooo much easier with the dump. I also have a landscaping business, so the dump also works as a "dumpster" where all my grass clippings and other yard waste gets thrown in. In the fall its got a leaf loader hooked up to it too. All questions and comments are welcome!

Last edited:
Very nice operation you're running there Peter, do you have a commercial splitter?

Wow, what a setup, you can move some wood for sure with 1 cord on the truck and another 2 on the trailer. Real nice setup, and selling 20-30 cord a year support the purchase?

Very nice operation you're running there Peter, do you have a commercial splitter?

Thanks. Not really commercial, its a yard machines (yes i said it lol) with a 5.5hp honda. It has roughly 300 hours on it and doesn't miss a beat. Great Splitter for the price. I bought it about 4-5 years ago. I just noticed that its in the picture with the dump raised in the corner of the house.

thats a nice set up:clap: :clap: :clap: larry

Thanks!

Wow, what a setup, you can move some wood for sure with 1 cord on the truck and another 2 on the trailer. Real nice setup, and selling 20-30 cord a year support the purchase?

Thanks, yea, but just not all in one trip, or atleast i havn't done so yet. 2 reasons. 1. I would rather push a button to unload (trailer) rather then unload by hand (box) and 2. I don't think its safe to have both filled, but i will do it to test it out one of these days. I know the truck can pull it, but i'm a little worried about all the weight in the bed. The trailer is very heavy when full and drops the truck a bit in the back, plus a full cord in the bed would drop it even more. Once the leaves start falling steadily, i will have to unload by hand because the dump will be used for leaves. I would think 20-30 cords would support it being that i sell them at 240 a cord. I use the trucks/trailers for my lawn business as well. I just turned 21, and have roughly 83 accounts that i service.

Last edited:
My own 2 cents based on my pre-firewood-gathering and need-to-purchase experiences for the last four years....

They (not you) would throw wood rather than stack it into a crord-space for sale. Considerable loss of wood if on the purchasing end. They'd also have toolboxes and spare tires and soccer balls and whatever to take up additional space.

Clearly, based on your setup, you're not this type of the local around me....but can i still suggest a stacked-tight cord...or an adjustedly-increased thrown cord?

Merely my reaction to being on the receiving end for so many years up until this one.

Clearly, based on your setup, you're not this type of the local around me....but can i still suggest a stacked-tight cord...or an adjustedly-increased thrown cord?

Merely my reaction to being on the receiving end for so many years up until this one.

Thanks! I appreciate that. What i did was stack a full cord of wood on the side, then threw it in the trailer, and marked where i would have to pile the wood into the trailer to reach my mark. I allways throw in a little extra to keep my customers happy. I have never had a complaint of short wood.

I lied. One time i did, but the guy emailed me roughly 2 weeks later after burning the wood for that long, and told me i was short maybe 30 pieces. I'm thinking, you email me 2 weeks later, and you have the fire going between then, and then you stack it? Ofcourse you'll be short. Stack it, email me, then burn it lol. Other then him, i've had some great customers.

Nice setup you got there.

Also how did you get all those landscaping accounts?

You must advertise alot.

I would have expected to see a huge pile of chips, bark and wood debris in a pile by your splitter since you're moving that much firewood. However it looks incredibly clean.

Petr, Hows the dump work out for you. Been seriously thinking about a dump trailer and an elevator. Does the trailer lift high enough to clear all the wood out? In you picture it seems to.

attachment.php

You need to use the insert image button. (The little mountain one in the post reply.) copy the web address from the picture and paste it when you press the mountain/image icon. You will get the web address when you right click and see view image.

Last edited:
Good looking, nice and clean appearance.

One suggestion though, on the trailer sides, have the verticals on the outside of your posts, structurally it'll be more secure, and the load will slide out even easier.
Right now, the load is pushing against your wood screws, and the chance of a board coming off is possible.

Using carriage bolts with nylock nuts and flat washers through both pieces of wood would be another way to go. Have the bolt head on the inside of the trailer to retain a smooth surface.

20-30 cord?, and getting more orders. Where do you get your wood supply?

What is your most common amount request?

Last edited:
Petr, Hows the dump work out for you. Been seriously thinking about a dump trailer and an elevator. Does the trailer lift high enough to clear all the wood out? In you picture it seems to.

Sorry, I'm not Peter, but I have a dump trailer and can comment on your question...

Having a dump trailer is heaven sent, but one issue I've found with mine (7x14 14k GVW) is that you can't dump everything in one shot/pile. The tailer lifts plenty high, but the tail of bed doesn't sit high enough that you can dump everything out in one shot. You have to dump and then pull forward a little to get everything out of the trailer since the pile just gets too high otherwise. What you end up with is a low pile on the ground that's longer than a traditional thrown pile... I hope that make sense.

Other than that, a dump trailer is great to have around. I use mine to haul stone, fill, wood, chips from the chipper, equipment, etc... well worth the money I paid for it!

To the OP... It looks like really nice and new equipment, barely even used! Be careful about spending to much on equipment when you're first starting out (well, unless you're still living with your parents and have no bills). It's easy to ring up a lot of debt, but it takes a lot of wood/work to pay for all of that stuff, but since you're already doing 20-30 cors a year I'm sure I don't have to tell you that. Luckily, it sounds like you have a lot of LS accounts that should cover everything, but still be careful when it comes to buying all that new stuff as it can come back to bite you in the butt...

Looking forward to seeing more pics with everything loaded! :)

Nice setup you got there.

Also how did you get all those landscaping accounts?

You must advertise alot.

Thanks, I don't advertise as much, just a small add in the paper for a month or two, but most of them are word of mouth. The best type of advertisement!

I would have expected to see a huge pile of chips, bark and wood debris in a pile by your splitter since you're moving that much firewood. However it looks incredibly clean.

Yea, all the junk stays when it gets split. I split, all the junk is on the floor, gets thrown into the trailer, then trailered to another location about 20 minutes away to dry and gets dumped there. So it pretty much has 2 places for the junk to seperate.

Its a great investment! It makes work so much easier. Like the other poster said, its more of a semi-tall pile (depending how high your walls are) and longer because its lower to the ground. His explination is better. You have to lift all the way up, and drive forward a bit to get all of it out.

You need to use the insert image button. (The little mountain one in the post reply.) copy the web address from the picture and paste it when you press the mountain/image icon. You will get the web address when you right click and see view image.

Thanks, but in the past i was able to shrink the image to a certain percentage and it would post.

Good looking, nice and clean appearance.

One suggestion though, on the trailer sides, have the verticals on the outside of your posts, structurally it'll be more secure, and the load will slide out even easier.
Right now, the load is pushing against your wood screws, and the chance of a board coming off is possible.

Using carriage bolts with nylock nuts and flat washers through both pieces of wood would be another way to go. Have the bolt head on the inside of the trailer to retain a smooth surface.

20-30 cord?, and getting more orders. Where do you get your wood supply?

What is your most common amount request?

Yea, i figured it would look nicer to have the boards on the outside, so thats why it went like that. Either way the wood comes out nicely. Its more for looks. My wood gets dropped off in my driveway, cut up, for free. Most people either order a cord, which they think is alot of wood when i show up, or a half cord.

To the OP... It looks like really nice and new equipment, barely even used! Be careful about spending to much on equipment when you're first starting out (well, unless you're still living with your parents and have no bills). It's easy to ring up a lot of debt, but it takes a lot of wood/work to pay for all of that stuff, but since you're already doing 20-30 cors a year I'm sure I don't have to tell you that. Luckily, it sounds like you have a lot of LS accounts that should cover everything, but still be careful when it comes to buying all that new stuff as it can come back to bite you in the butt...

Looking forward to seeing more pics with everything loaded! :)

Yea, thats my thing. I almost allways buy new. Its just a personal prefference. You get the warrenty, and the satisfaction that no one else used it like an idiot before you. Ever hear the expression, "its a rental"? I see how people use things that aren't theirs, or just dont care. I've been doing this for a good 4-5 years. Everything is paid for except the red and blue truck. The blue one will be paid for by March, which will leave me only the red truck which isn't a problem at all. I also have a ton of equipment, another enclosed trailer, a 3rd truck, and a car thats all paid for too. I'm lucky to have a well established business that generates me enough money to have the toys to make my life easier. I'll post up more pics when i get a chance.

Yea, thats my thing. I almost allways buy new. Its just a personal prefference. You get the warrenty, and the satisfaction that no one else used it like an idiot before you. Ever hear the expression, "its a rental"? I see how people use things that aren't theirs, or just dont care. I've been doing this for a good 4-5 years. Everything is paid for except the red and blue truck. The blue one will be paid for by March, which will leave me only the red truck which isn't a problem at all. I also have a ton of equipment, another enclosed trailer, a 3rd truck, and a car thats all paid for too. I'm lucky to have a well established business that generates me enough money to have the toys to make my life easier. I'll post up more pics when i get a chance.
and your only 21? :cheers: good job you work aholic you......wish i had been raised that way back then...:( oh well.
nice setup, nice job. good luck to ya
i assume you push snow also?

and your only 21? :cheers: good job you work aholic you......wish i had been raised that way back then...:( oh well.
nice setup, nice job. good luck to ya
i assume you push snow also?

Yep, turned 21 a few weeks ago. The work comes at a price though, but i don't regret it. Yea, i bought the red truck last year and the blue one a month ago. I got a plow for the red one, not knowing i would have the blue, so that one is all mounted up. I have an 8'6 boss super duty plow. Theres also a crew (2 brothers) that take one truck and do all my residential properties. They have 2 blowers and finish the properties in roughly 3 hours. Its a very effiecient opperation. It'll be my first year plowing. Some might think that the parents paid for everything, but thats very far from the truth. Zero was given to me.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Nice setup, and let me say, good for you dood!!!!

these days, the up and coming generations expect everything handed to them left and right.

Back